“Thoroughly disappointing thanks to the owners”
Review of Kingsbrae Arms

Kingsbrae Arms
Ranked #8 of 13 Saint Andrews B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We have just completed a most wonderful 18 day drive through the Maritime provinces, meeting with the most wonderful,
friendly and hopsitable business people and residents;, all that is, with the exception of the owners of Kingsbrae Arms.
Over the years I have of course, stayed in many hotels, and have always looked to the Relais & Chateaux brand to mean
beautiful residences, first class amenities and above all wonderful hospitality. This was the reason we picked Kingsbrae, but we were quite disappointed.
We were arriving at the Kingsbrae late on a Saturday night and tried calling the property to advise them of our late arrival. We began calling at noon, only to receive a recorded message
stating that reservations was closed on Saturday and that all inquiries should be made through their website. We promptly emailed,but never received a response. The website asked that they be notified of late arrivals,, since check-in ended at 7PM. We cancelled our evening dinner in St. John, and drove promptly to Kingsbrae, not understanding why a hotel
would shut down communications with their guests. We arrived at the hotel, and no one was quite sure why such a message was on their voicemail. We were then told we were upgraded to a King balcony suite. The room was in great need of updating, having a tiny old-fashioned Goldstar tube TV in the armoire, frayed wallpaper, a small plastic shower stall, creeking floors and bed and a balcony that looked into four walls with no view. We told the manager that we felt that we had lost an entire day, between trying to contact the hotel, and then cancelling our evening plans in St. John and he said" give us a chance and we'll make it up to you over the next three days". Nothing was done, and over the next three days the owners blatantly refused to meet with us. Having no other recourse, we were forced to
communicate by email. Our emails were always polite and respectful, but did explain our disappointment with management and our treatment at kingsbrae. A bottle of sparkling white wine was left in our room, which might have been viewed as a friendly gesture, except that it was accompanied by a nasty note stating that nothing makes us happy.
We received many threatening emails from the owners, referring to us as dumb scam artists, and calling us bullies and liars. I could go on and on about the emails to us. It was really quite disheartening. No one has ever spoken to me or about me like this. I was somewhat frightened. We ran into other guests at Kingsbrae who told us they were cutting their stay short
due to the antagonistic atmosphere, and a disappointing property which looks nothing like the photos online. As long as you compliment their property, all is fine. But should you have questions, watch out.
These owners become aggressive,adversarial and hostile. A guest should never be subjected to this. Please read the owners responses on trip advisor. You can sense the owner's sarcasm. This is not the behavior of professional hoteliers.
We were just trying to have a nice vacation, and we managed to in spite of our experiences at Kingsbrae. By all means visit St. Andrews by the Sea. It is a charming village with much to see and do, wonderful restaurants and friendly business owners. Thank you to trip advisor for extending a forum to me to discuss this situation.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank JN302
HarryR-C, Owner at Kingsbrae Arms, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Below is the text of the “nasty letter” I sent along with a bottle of sparkling wine to this reviewer & his wife. Another bottle and similar letter was sent to the couple JN302 was travelling with. They have made their thoughts known in an earlier review entitled “Huge Disappointment”. I believe my letter speaks for itself and demonstrates the mischaracterizations and overblown statements that have been made in this and the previous review.

Dear JN302

I am distressed to learn from my staff that you might have thought I made the offer of a bottle of sparkling wine in exchange for coming to dinner at Kingsbrae Arms. I most certainly did not. The offer was made as a goodwill gesture to help with what you stated to be a stressful travel experience.

I had heard that you enjoyed a tour of our vegetable garden yesterday, but this morning I am told that you are still unhappy with your stay. I am more disappointed because I had such a nice conversation with [your wife].

It appears that there is nothing I or any of us can do to correct the situation. I sincerely hope that the rest of your trip back to Florida from the Maritimes is enjoyable.

Please enjoy this bottle of sparkling wine.

//signed by me//

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Intending to spend the weekend of August 2nd in St.Andrews,in early May I made reservations at the Algonquin where I had worked during the summers while at university in the 60s.In late June, while watching CBC Halifax,I learned that the renovations at the Algonquin were well behind schedule and would not be available that weekend.I promptly contacted Kingsbrae Arms.What a stroke of good fortune that turned out to be.
What a fabulous facility it is -- tranquil and charming as a country manor house hotel should be.

The staff -- Each one -- Pamela,Pierre,Delia,Lily,Fanny,and Dalton -- was helpful,pleasant,respectful,and attentive, without being intrusive.Unfortunately, we did not meet the owners or the chef.I did speak briefly with Harry on the phone.And Harry,we did leave with huge smiles on our faces.

The suites -- Because of a blip in my reservation request,Pierre (a consummate professional) put my friend and me each in our own suite at no additional cost.The suites were lovely -- the beds very comfortable and the bathrooms great and the sitting areas likewise.Even though I had read on the inn's website that there were no phones in the rooms,as an older person,I would have been more comfortable having a room phone in case of an emergency.Thankfully,there wasn't one.

The food and wine -- Having been a guest at and eaten in the dining rooms in many top notch facilities around the world;such as,London's Claridge's with its Gordon Ramsay restaurant,I would rate the food at Kingsbrae Arms up there with the best.The salmon smoked on the premises is to die for.My friend declared his main(lamb shank) a symphony of flavours and textures.And I was more than a little pleased to be able to order a bottle of my favourite William Fevre Chablis to accompany my smoked salmon starter and lobster main.Unfortunately,as we arrived very late from Quebec City on the Friday night ,we were only able to enjoy dinner on the Saturday.Breakfasts were awesome and my friend's food allergies were accommodated.

Again,many thanks to all for a most memorable weekend.

Dianna White,Eastern Passage,Nova Scotia
Pepe Arias,Washington,DC

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank dianna_white
Reviewed August 8, 2013

First the good parts: The place looks great. An old building brought up to date with creative furnishings and tart and the location is fine.The staff couldn't be better.(Pierre waited around for us lost souls with great patience...not to mention food and wine when we straggled in at 10) and all were attentive and delightful. The room was excellent with a comfortable bed and real down pillows. Now the bad parts: No pool. They've given up and filled it in. No bar. It would add much needed life. No dinner after 7:30...kind of a forced early bird special (they will relent and seat you at 8 if you beg them). But don't beg too much...the food is very good but the room is deadly and crypt-like with wood place mats(not tablecloths) and no life whatsoever. But the thing that really got me was the wine list. Try $75 for the cheapest bottle. How about $80 for a cotes de Rhone? $90 for an Argentine malbec you pay $10 for in a wine shop and on and on. What was the deal with that?. Must be a much needed(you wouldn't think with the price of the rooms) profit center. I don't mind paying top dollar for things. I just don't like to be taken to the cleaners (this annoyance should end once the Algonquin reopens...as in competition.)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Dennis B
HarryR-C, Owner at Kingsbrae Arms, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Seems like the fun we had chatting with these guests during their stay turned into a dollars & cents transaction upon their departure. For the record, they were upgraded to a Grand King Room from our most economical Standard King Room Category. They ordered a fine Sancerre with a Wine Spectator rating of 90 points and a very good bottle of Bordeaux, which has been in our cellar since 2001—hardly bottles that can be purchased for ten bucks in a Bronxville wine shop. Honestly, the only ones who got taken to the cleaners were Pierre and his hard working staff, given high praise in this review, but apparently not worth even one penny in gratuities. Not one.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Walk out the front door and you are at the entrance of the botanical gardens. Walk out the dining room door to fantastically maintained gardens of the hotel. A very short walk down the street places you in the heart of downtown St. Andrews...talk about convenience!!

The staff was over the top and made you want to stay longer! The dining room meals were elegant for both breakfast and dinner. We will definitely go back...hopefully soon!

Steve & Lisa

Room Tip: Next time I would opt for a larger room but we were a last minute reservations
1  Thank Steve S
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I have a chance two weeks ago to visit an old friend twice. We have stayed at the Kingsbrae Arms over the years since it opened. Two weeks ago, after a few years' absence we were able to spend three nights on our way to and from Hallifax. The Grande Dame at the top of the hill is complemented by a French and South American staff whose warmth and response is rare these days. The foods remains as wonderful as it has been over the years and is now being graced by the use of fresh herbs and produce grown on the property.

I wish we could pick up the entire property, staff and all, and plop it right down in the middle of the Smokies so that we could visit it at will.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is our second visit to Kingsbrae and it does not disappoint. The gardens, grounds, rooms and staff are impeccably delightful...and it's dog friendly!!! Doesn't get much better than that. We had our room in the "Stable" this year, which has its own brick patio and opens onto the garden. Water features and gentle breezes compliment the space, and the food is fabulous: most vegetables and herbs are grown in the extensive garden; tended to lovingly by one of the owners. There is also a smokehouse where they smoke their own fish and meat. The staff is attentive and approachable and willing to do whatever they can to make the stay memorable. And they do!!!!

Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed only one night but enjoyed our stay immensely. Beautiful and comfortable room, delicious breakfast and accommodating and friendly staff. What a quaint place to visit. Wished we had had more time here.

• Stayed: July 2013