“Roosters - Short walk from Orillia Trail”
Review of Roosters Diner - CLOSED

Roosters Diner
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Orillia Trail winds its way from Couchiching Park through Tudhope Park and ends at the Narrows, where an old railway swing bridge sits, harking back to an era where railway traffic employed the trail bed. Literally a stone's throw away from the Narrows is Roosters, with a couple of paths, one paved, leading from the trail right to the Rooster's parking lot. Roosters was recently licenced by the LCBO so that is a plus for people thirsty from walking or biking the trail or needing a refresher after trying their luck ice fishing. The Steamwhistle draft was very nice and we complemented it by ordering the rooster tails. For the uninformed, these are un-split wings, with the tips intact. My wife had honey garlic and I had the Frank's red hot, as my name is Frank, an uncomon name these days when all kids are given designer names, like Aiden and Quinn. The wings were very tasty and were the perfect accoutrement to the cold draft beer. Our waitress was attentive and provided exceptional service. The only negative from the meal were the fries, which are apparently supposed be fresh cut, but were a tad limp and somewhat soggy. Crispen up those fries and I'd have given Roosters an excellent rating. Anyway, they also have fresh soup, which I will try soon, and their signature fried chicken, which I also want to sample next time (as a change of pace from Orillia's signature fried chicken i.e. KFC). For a bit of a unique experience, wallk the Orillia trails, try the excellent ice fishing in lakes Simcoe and Couchiching and stroll to the Narrows, and stop in at Roosters and try their tails.

1  Thank Frankensense

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have been to this restaurant about 4 times for breakfast only. To date I have found that the service is really lacking. I gave the restaurant the benefit of the doubt the first few times as it had not been open very long and I didn't want to judge without giving them a chance to work out the kinks. I just visited again a few days ago, and I don't think they plan to work out the kinks that are preventing them from providing even reasonable customer service. The server took our order which for me was "a toasted western sandwich, no ham (don't eat meat), french fries, with a side of coleslaw." When she left the table I mentioned to my spouse that our server seemed completely disinterested in taking our orders and I didn't feel like she was even listening to me. When she returned with our food and put my plate in front of me it was completely wrong...western with ham, hash browns and a fruit cup. When I pointed out the error to our server she quickly blamed it on the kitchen staff. She returned a short while later with my meal and I was surprised to see that I had a side of potato salad and not the coleslaw that I had ordered. When the server returned to our table again about 15 minutes later my spouse pointed out that my side was still incorrect to which she responded "oh I guess I really screwed up" and that was that. On the four occasions that I have been there before there has always been some sort of mix up with someone's food, or something missing from the plate, this was the second time I had been served ham when I specifically requested no ham. I have also found that the servers make us feel as though we are interrupting their day and that they are putting forth a great effort to take our order and pour a cup of coffee - except on the one occasion that I believe the owner himself served us. I honestly don't think we have even been smiled at by a server.
All of the food that I have had there has been good so it's too bad that the service is far from great. Unless the owner/management makes some changes I don't think that we will go back. I am not a difficult patron - I just want what I order and if a mistake is made then correct it without blaming someone else..and feeling a little welcome in an establishment wouldn't hurt either.

2  Thank lakelady_12
Reviewed October 15, 2012

What a perfect surprise! Orillia is home to an amazing new diner! The place looks great, the service was very friendly, and the fish and chips was incredible! Large filets of nicely battered fish, and the fries were obviously fresh cut and better than I've tasted in years. Overall the value for a substantial, quality meal was fantastic. Aaron the owner was extremely friendly as well. I'll be going there again soon to try the chicken!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This restaurant is fairly new and in the same strip plaza as a "wings" chain. We are in Orillia often and are anxious to try new places. We had lunch once and did try the chicken dinners---very good, tasty and hot. On another visit we had brunch. Very reasonably priced and quite good. One negative ..the hollandaise sauce on the eggs benedict -somewhat watery.
Service was quite good. It would be nice to see this establishment make a go of it as Orillia could use more of the "non chain" type restaurants.

1  Thank marbella50
Reviewed August 17, 2012

If you like fish and chips, this is the place to go. The fish was nice and fluffy, excellent flavour and texture. Nice thin crispy crust. The place was clean, service friendly, reasonably priced and the food fresh. Definately plan on eating here again.