“Has gone downhill over the past few years”

Rodeway Inn Champlain Waterfront
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Orillia
Waterloo, Canada
“Has gone downhill over the past few years”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed here in June. This would be our 6th or 7th stay here. Quite frankly we will not be coming back. The front office staff were rude and unhelpful and could care less that we were there. The rooms need repair and it is quite clear that money has not been put back into the hotel. This is now the second Quality in that we stayed at in the past year that has been a disappointment. We used to stay only at Quality Inns at one point....not anymore. The Choice Brand hotels have really gone downhill. We will not be staying in another one. What's with the name? Waterfront??? really??

Room Tip: The Best Western near the casino would be a much better choice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dianeb1957_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Booked through 3rd party so the Hotel was not revealed until after confirmation. Went to Orillia for the Journey concert. Was a 15 minute drive from Casino Rama. Orillia itself is a nice little town. The Hotel exceeded my expectations since on most sites it is only rated 2 stars. The only was I can see that rating as legitimate is due to its exterior. You need to park in the back which gives off the low end motel vibe. Inside however a different story. Friendly concierge desk, quality rooms and very clean. Definitley for Orillia this is at the minimum a 3 star. Excellent pub food across the street as well @ Studabakers. Lastly the waterfront is just behind you. Less than a 2 minute walk.

Room Tip: Stay away from a room that backs onto Front St. It is a busy street so sleeping could be a problem.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dimascio23
Grand Haven, Michigan
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a pretty average hotel and the rate reflects that.

The desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is excellent, right in downtown Orillia. It's within walking distance of the boardwalk where you can stroll along and check out the lovely parks and the marina and it seemed you could even catch a boat tour from the dock (I didn't take it but there was certainly some kind of ferry boat there.)

There's a 24 grocery store right next to the hotel which is convenient. There was a fridge in my room but no Microwave so I had to nuke my leftovers in the microwave down in the breakfast nook. There are also several restaurants and a few bars within walking distance if you go up Mississauga St. Be sure to check out the Mariposa Market for a great breakfast also on Mississauga (in fact I'd strongly recommend it as the "continental breakfast" at the hotel is a joke.) It offers specialty coffees and all kinds of delicious bakery items as well as quiche and lunch sandwiches etc.

The room itself was rather small and this was even an "upgraded" king with jets in the tub and a faux fireplace. The TV situation was weird. There was a cable receiver sitting on top of the TV that was not plugged in when I first arrived and I soon discovered why: the power cable was not long enough to reach an outlet from the TV. To get it to work I had to move the cable box over to a small table in the room so I could plug in the power to the box. So coaxial cable was dragging half way across the room from the wall to the cable box and back to the TV and power cable was dragging across the other half of the tiny room. Not ideal. The free Wifi worked fine though.

The bed was very comfy and I'd call it the selling point of the whole experience. As a business traveler I place a high value on bed comfort which is perhaps why my rating for this property is not lower. Good water pressure in the shower and plenty of hot water.

There is no elevator so if you'e got a lot of luggage you might request a ground floor room or just suck it up and get some exercise.

The staff was very kind and helpful and even though they do not have a "business center" they were kind enough to print out some documents for me at their front desk.

Oh and finally there is a shuttle to the Casino Rama after 7pm that runs every hour on the hour for $6 each way until 2 a.m. You can drive to the casino in about 10 minutes so if you're not drinking I wouldn't trouble with the shuttle.

All in all if you're on a budget I would recommend this place but be prepared for a few inconveniences. How much time do you spend in the room anyway?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Freakwentphlyer
Reviewed July 5, 2013

For a night at orillia the hotel was just what we needed. Cheap, good location, nice rooms absolutly amazing. The staff is very nice, they even helped us with everything with a huge smile on their faces. A very good experience for us.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank AdarKaplan
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Thank you for a lovely stay. The hotel is in an excellent location, Staffs are friendly and helpful. The hotel is next to a Metro Grocery store that opens 24hrs. Good value for the money. No elevator though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed here for the ride and are very happy with our stay. The place overall is well worth the money, hotel lacks a elevator but the staff helped me with my luggage before I had even asked. And I enjoyed the breakfast in the morning. Would love stay over again

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Read the reviews, didn't really pay much attention since we were only going for 1 night.....regretting it now! The hotel looks good from the outside, and even the lobby isn't too bad. Parking is atrocious, they have like 12 spots in their lot, then the overflow parking is in the attached strip mall (when my boyfriend saw he had to leave his car there overnight, he almost started looking for another hotel...in hindsight, i should have let him) Now for the rooms....I can think of 3 words..tiny,dirty & rundown. We got a king room, all they had left when I booked was a smoking room (which wasn't ideal, but you take what you can get) as soon as we walked into the room, the smell of cigarette & pot smoke was overwhelming. I understand Its a smoking room, but there are nonsmokers who are going to have to be there aswell, it's really not difficult to deoderize....but it didn't look like the room had been cleaned recently (other than changing the bedding) so maybe that was the problem. The room was tiny, we had maybe 1.5feet on either side of the bed, plus on one side, there's a window a/c unit & oversized lamp that hang over the bed. I found bugs in the bed, as well as the bathroom (in a 3rd flr room with no opening windows) I didn't see it, but my boyfriend says he found hair in the tub/shower wall, and on the towels. The only good thing about this place was the bed, it was very comfortable. Also, there's a bar with a patio connected, the patios directly under some of the rooms (like ours) so the music/noise is very loud till 1-1:30am. I stay at a lot of hotels in this chain, and this is by far the worst.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Katielee3

Travelers are raving about these Orillia hotels