“Best Sunday Brunch Once Again !”

Grape and Olive Wine and Martini Bistro
Ranked #7 of 158 Restaurants in Orillia
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Canadian, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We had the Sunday brunch at this restaurant on Nov. 4 and on Nov. 18 and were very disappointed both times ...especially since we had raved about it all of last year. The disappointment was expressed in my Trip Advisor review .

Within a few weeks of the review, I received word through Trip Advisor informing me that the manager of the restaurant was offering me a complimentary meal for 2 to see the recent changes to their menu and set up that he and his new chef had instituted. I was definitely impressed but politely declined stating that I would be more comfortable paying my own way.

Yesterday, Dec. 23, my wife and I visited the restaurant. I guess I should have taken Craig up on his complimentary offer....however, this time I really ,really did not mind paying.
Lo and behold, everything was worth it ! The buffet is now back in the main dining room and the quality and variety, of food is plentiful.....there is now a variiety of salads, cold cuts, veggies
smoked fish, LOBSTER (unbelievable!). The roast beef is as tender as before and above all else, the bacon,sausages, the pork tenderloin, the lasagna ,were not overcooked and dried up
as had been before. The omlette station is efficiently handled by a very personable and helpful
girl.
Congratulations to Craig and your Chef...You have the best Sunday brunch anywhere!

2  Thank Hawkrridge
CraigMusil, General Manager at Grape and Olive Wine and Martini Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you!! I'm so happy you decided to give us another chance! This is one of the reasons I love reading TripAdvisor reviews. The Chef and I are so very pleased that you enjoyed our Brunch once again. Thanks again for giving us that second chance to show our improvements. We really appreciate it! Please do come again soon.

There are newer reviews for Grape and Olive Wine and Martini Bistro

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Well what do I say about this amazing and fantastic .... in all aspects food, staff and decor and atmosphere. This last visit (and there have been many as this is my favorite restaurant, they make you feel like family each and everytime you go in) I had the Beef Tenderloin and it was absolutley superb, and the vegetables were just as amazing. Our waitress made us feel right at home as well as the General Manager of the hotel stopped by just to make sure we were enjoying our meal. The Service here is just as amazing as the food. I will be back and would highly infact call you crazy if you didnt try out this superb gem.

1  Thank finediner1976

Thank you!! It's the great customers like yourself that make it a pleasure working at the Grape & Olive Wine and Martini Bistro. It really makes my day to read such a wonderful reviews. It was a pleasure to meet you and please do come visit us again soon! We really appreciate the kind words and the time it takes to write up such a nice review. I will definitely pass this along to the staff.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I celebrated my birthday at the Grape and Olive and we put in an order for duck the week ahead. It was a dish my Dad made for our family when we were young kids and I haven't had it since then. I decided I would try it this year, and it was the best duck I've ever had! I expected the hardened skin but it came sliced, no skin, and the presentation was wonderful. 5 stars from me. It was absolutely delicious. My husband had the lamb and he loved it as well!

Thank you so much for writing a review about your culinary experience. Happy Belated Birthday!
I was delighted to hear you had such a great experience at our restaurant and we appreciate that you would share it here on TripAdvisor. Thank you for your patronage! Please do come see us again.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We ate here for the second time...wouldn't have gone back though we heard there was a new chef and he used to run one of our favorites from the past (Picasso's). We should have saved ourselves the trip. The quality of the restaurant suits the Best Western in a small town parking lot location.

We arrived at 8 for our 8:00 reservation...table wasn't ready so they asked that we grab a drink at the bar...good idea. Got a seat at the bar, two bartenders didn't acknowledge us until I forced the issue. Asked for a drink menu...got one. They were running around not being productive...breaking martini glasses and talking about how busy they were. That was it. 15 minutes later our table was ready and we didn't have a drink. The hostess said she would be happy to bring our drinks over...how nice of her to offer.

We were taken to our table, where I had a great view of the large screen tv showing the hotel gym...just what I love while on a date. Waitress came by 10 minutes later, after I flagged her down. We immediately ordered our bottle of wine....which took another 10 minutes. My wife was ready to get up, grab the bottle and open it herself!

From there things improved slightly. My scallop dish was well flavoured though the scallops were luke warm at best. My wife's salad was lacking dressing. (yes that's improved)

Main Course tenderloin was basic with an over-salted jus and a raw assortment of root vegetables. My wife's stuffed chicken was the only "good" dish we had...good flavour and generous portion...unfortunately also served with the raw root veg.

Plates sat for a while and when finally cleared we were told that they were out of 2 of the 6 options on the dessert menu. We had a sorbet, asked for the bill and left.

I know we will only return when I want to sit at a hotel bar and not drink, or if I'm curious to see what new exercise equipment a basic Best Western gym can offer me....that sounds like never.

CraigMusil, Manager at Grape and Olive Wine and Martini Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thank you for your comments I appreciate your taking the time to write and hope you will accept my apologigies for any inconvenience you experienced. We will be reviewing your comments at the managers meeting for discussion. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention. I hope that you decide to give us another chance to show our improvements.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I had raved about the Sunday brunches at this restaurant since last Nov. 2011 and stated that it was the best in town.
We went there on Nov. 4, 2012...and what a disappointment! The buffet is now in a room of its own and is half of what it used to be! The bacon and sausages were overcooked, the roast beef was tough and overcooked,the chicken was dry....nothing was appealing. It was a total disappointment!
We read in the paper a week later that the restaurant had hired a new chef. Giving them the benefit of a doubt, we tried them again on Nov. 18. Although the roast beef was nice and tender, the rest of the buffet was sparse and once again grossly overcooked and dry. It was a tiny bit better but pales in comparison to last year. Hopefully their new chef was not involved in the brunch buffet!
The restaurant staff is still excellent...polite, helful, friendly, and thoroughly efficient!

CraigMusil, Manager at Grape and Olive Wine and Martini Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thank you, for bringing this to our attention. We regret any inconvenience you have experienced, and we assure you that we are anxious to retain you as a satisfied customer. Our food & beverage team is reviewing the information you sent us and is conducting a full investigationin order to resolve this matter fairly. We appreciate your patronage through out the years and hope that you will give us another chance to show our improvements. Thanks again.