“Great value”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Orillia
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Nice lobby; clean hotel all around; very friendly and helpful staff; nice breakfast area; perfect location. Close to restaurants and casino Rama. Reservation and check in was efficient. Check out was equally quick and easy. Good value and would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Room was good for price paid. Fan in bathroom did not work, so had to leave door open to vent moisture. Advertise breakfast, but a little disappointing. Toast, muffins and bagels only items available, as well as coffee, tea and orange juice.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night at 430 am the towel rack came crashing down and scared me out a sleep that I had just went into after being woke up cause the walls are so thin you hear the TV and what ever else is going on in the next room . The beds need to be put to rest and new ones brought in, the sheets need to be fitted sheets so they stay on and you don't wake up on the much used mattress gross me out the staff are about the only thing nice about this hotel come on put a little money into the place update it a bit

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shelley B
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Last weekend on our way to Toronto from Sudbury our 2 boys were tired so we called a night at Econolodge Orillia. We were very much impressed with this little property from their rooms to service & were very satisfied with some healthy choices they had to offer for breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Let me preface this review by saying I'm a pretty low maintenance girl. I was looking for an economical way to spend one night in Orillia before I was starting a course. When I first looked at all the reviews of this place it looked really decent and I thought it was a great price, so I booked it, thinking I had done enough research that I would be fine. I could NOT have been MORE WRONG.

When I booked, I paid $95 specifically to get a hotel room on the 2nd floor (for safety). When I arrived, they gave me a room worth $85 on the main floor of the hotel. When I inquired, the lady at the front desk had no idea what I was talking about and said that I had paid for a regular room at $85 - basically saying I was lying. If I had the wherewithal to argue with her, I would've shown her my credit card statement and pulled up the website where it specifically states the difference in the rooms. Moving on.

This hotel is horrible. The first room (yes, the first room), I was given had a VERY strong odor. I believe if I had to name it, it would be Indian food. The room was generally not clean. Albeit the entire hotel has "no smoking" signs up, the whole hotel smells of smoke covered up by the orange scented air fresheners they have trying to drowned out the smell. It is enough to give you a migraine. When I opened the blinds of this room, they directly looked out to the pathway and doorway that people use to get to the back parking lot. Every time I looked out this window, there were people smoking there. In this room, the comforters were stained (I should've taken a picture of this as well, but wasn't at the forefront of my mind at the time), the iron had fabric or something burned into it (so it was unusable), and the bathroom was extremely dingy. Not to mention, there were two doors on the inside of this room that I did not have the keys for. I wasn't comfortable with this. The last straw was when I went to leave for dinner and came to find out that the door didn't lock behind me. No matter how many times I tried it, it wouldn't lock.

When I first found out the room smelled so strongly, I asked her to switch me, to which her response was "we are fully booked". Twenty minutes later when I told her my door lock wasn't working and I was not ok with this, miraculously she had cancellations and put me into another room on the main floor.

The second room was no better. This room had two queen beds, and a HUGE window with a massive crack in it. Not to mention a door leading to the outside of the property.

I could probably go on forever about this place. I rarely get burned on trying to find a deal, but this is the last time I will ever try and save some cash on a hotel booking. DO NOT STAY HERE. You were warned. Spend the extra $50 and upgrade to something down the street - the Holiday Inn I hear was beautiful.

I have never written a review this strongly but please head my warning. I stayed there the one night because I had to, but would never go back and NEVER recommend to anyone. I have never wondered, "Am I going to get lice?". This place will do that to you.

Room Tip: There are none. Unfortunately.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank CFO580
Econo L, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Your comments assist us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your concerns and issues will be addressed with the housekeeping and maintenance department. We hope you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guest in the future.
Darlene Allen
Operations Manager

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Sorry, but never again could I bring myself to stay at the Econo Lodge in Orillia. I've never seen an entrance loaded with so much gritty salt as this property. Granted, it is still winter but don't most places sweep the front step at least every few days? The most un-appealing thing about the front entry was the planter outside the door with dozens of cigarette buts laying in the dirt.

While the lobby was clean and the young lady on the desk was efficient in checking me in, the stairs and hallway to my room were filthy. Sand everywhere including along the floor where it meets the walls at the baseboard. I don't think anyone has used a vacuum nozzle in months to clean the floor.

Inside my room, same thing. accumulated sand and debris along the baseboard and numerous 'bits' of white something that hadn't been vacuumed up on the floor.

I pulled back the sheets to reveal hair and a stain on the pillow case.

When I opened the drapes I was met with an eighths of an inch of black, wet mold along the bottom of the window. Below that, it appeared the grill on the heating/cooling unit hadn't been cleaned since the hotel was built.

Back to the front desk to get the attendant to accompany me to the room so I could show her the filth and dirt. I then asked that she have someone vacuum my floor and clean the mold off the window and heater. When told she would put me in another room, I asked to see that room. More filth on the heating unit and window.

I told her I would go out for a couple hours till she had my room cleaned. Upon my return, she had kept her promise and the window was clean and so was the grill on the heater. I wonder why their housekeeping staff couldn't do that routinely? Hmmm?

The sofa had two large brown stains which certainly didn't make it very inviting.

The bathroom was extremely clean but somewhat dated although not as dated as the headboard in knotty pine from the 1960s. There was plenty of hot water.

Throughout the hallway and my room there was a strange smell and throughout the night there was a very low humming noise that came and went and kept me awake till after 2:00 AM.

When asked how my stay was upon checkout, I again expressed my disappointment with the property indicating that this was the filthiest Canadian property I've ever been in. I thought a partial refund would have been in order but didn't push the issue.

From what I could see, this is an extremely tired property operated by people who do not seem to understand the meaning of clean. According to the business card at the front desk, this property is run by Kensington Hospitality Inc.

If you must stay at this property, ask for room 223. At least its had the window mold removed and the heater grill cleaned.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank kentwaddington
Econo L, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Mr. Waddington,

Thank you for your recent stay with Econolodge Orillia.
We are disappointed to hear that your stay was not to your satisfaction, please accept our apologies on behalf of our Staff & Management.

Thank you for bringing the concerns of your room to our attention. On the date that you stayed our front desk staff did offer to switch you rooms and at your request re cleaned the room you had to make your stay more enjoyable.

Thank you again for your patronage. We have refunded 50 % of your stay back to the credit card provided for the booking. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future to give us the opportunity to better serve you.

Operations Manager
Econo Lodge Orillia
Darlene Allen

Reviewed March 18, 2014

My husband and I spent the weekend of March 5 2014 in the King spa room. We had a wonderful time as, not only were we able to smoke in the room, we were also allowed to bring our pets at no extra cost. The hotel and room were very clean and nice. The staff extremely friendly and helpful. Close to Rama too! Who could ask for anything more??

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple