“Wouldn't go back... Ever...”

Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Orillia
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I had planned my wedding at the Highwayman Inn as I had had good experiences there in the past but this was far from a pleasant experience. BOOKING MY WEDDING THERE WAS A HUGE MISTAKE

I had communicated to w the event coordinator that we needed her there for the rehearsal and it seemed like she understood. The day before the wedding we showed up for our rehearsal. I went to the front desk to ask for her... The stuck up girl at the front desk was extremely ignorant when I asked where our event coordinator was. Turns out she had gone home hours earlier. So my wedding party and I winged our rehearsal hoping for the best.

After the rehearsal I checked into my room. I had reserved a bridal suite thinking a bridal suite would be a nice room with lots of room. I went into my room. It resembled a dungeon. It was small and dark. There was no sliding glass door as promised so I couldn't smoke my Cuban cigar without going all the way out of my room. I had asked the snob at the front desk for a cot as I thought there would be room to have a slumber party with my bridesmaids and got nothing but a bad attitude from her.

So if that's not enough, I woke in the morning to find that the ceiling in my bathroom was leaking... Luckily a nice person was at the front desk that time... She moved me to another room so my bridal party could get ready. My stylist walked into the new room and found water all over the floor from a broken toilet... So finally, I got moved to the third room.

I went downstairs in the morning to check on the decor and it wasn't ready... So my maid of honor and I rushed and assembled centerpieces. The event coordinator was there a couple hours after we put the arrangements together and appologized but it didn't change anything. Equipment that was to be provide wasnt there... The food was cold... They didn't follow my timeline at all. I had requested that the bartender not over serve my guests but they did not respect that request at all.

This place is a joke! I would not recommend it to anyone. They even charged me for the night I stayed even with all the issues. A wedding is a stressful enough of a day without that bs... I just did my best with what I was dealt but seriously, do not book your wedding there.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Mmay2284
There are newer reviews for Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre

Reviewed December 23, 2012

This used to be THE place to go in Orillia when you came to town - back in the 70's, early 80's. They don't seem to have updated anything since then. They used to have a really good brunch and now it's only subpar. It's close to West Ridge plaza, which is great for shopping - be it clothes, food (Food Basics) or restaurants (Subway, Montana's, Boston Pizza).

Room Tip: Get a room away from the noise of Hwy 11.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank CanadianDreamer75
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I like the layout of this Hotel, especially the bridge going over the pool area. The rooms do need updating. I found the staff very friendly. They do have a resteraunt attached to the hotel but was dissapointed that they do not have room service. One of the big things I did not like about this hotel was that there were many doors that you had to pass through that weren't automatic. The only reason I mention this is because it's hard to cart your luggage and open heavy doors at the same time. Anyone who stays here will see what I mean. Was a little dissapointed with the free breakfast, traditional continental, toast, muffins, cereal, was expecting eggs bacon etc. Not to bad of a place, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Nighthawk64
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I, and some friends stayed at the Highwayman Inn, in September for a wedding we were attending in the area. The rates were good and the rooms were nice (our friends room had bunk beds - which I thought were pretty neat!). The staff were alright, the lady in the afternoon ordered us a taxi and found out the rate for us to our wedding venue which was nice when all I asked for was a taxi phone number!

The breakfast buffett at the restaurant attached was amazing! We got our full for breakfast and the hotel gave us a $3 coupon off when we checked in which is was fantastic!

We really enjoyed our stay here and will be back in October to visit the area for our wedding anniversary and will definetly stay here again!! Thanks so much!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tonya C
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed here one night and it was awful. The rooms were old and looks like never updated, could not sleep all night due to hot water pipes clanging and banging in the walls-mentioned it to the front desk who gave us a whole $20 off our room. Will never stay here again

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer R
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We got a great deal with 2 night's stay including cooked breakfast.

The room was spacious and clean, the location was fine - easy drive to town centre and easy access to highway.

All in all - good value hotel with well maintained indoor pool area and friendly staff!

Room Tip: Sliding door access to carpark on ground floor - so easy to load/unload vehicle.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bob C
Reviewed July 29, 2012

this is a place that is not fancy.
Clean sheets and towels, loads of hot water
showering, very clean washroom, excellent olympic tv reception.
families enjoying the pool. Staff greet you with a welcoming smile
and hello in the hallway.. Overall, the hotel could use some TLC
like replacement of soft mattresses, warn carpeting in rooms and hallways, curtains
which hang crooked, cobwebs in the lampshade. With this attention,
we'd come back.