“Old-school Hospitality”
Review of Fern Resort

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Orillia
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I have stayed at the Fern several times over the years and have found it to be a very relaxing, friendly and even pampering experience. this is a resort that dates back many years and it has matured well and benefits from the experience of making guests feel special and part of the family. For many it has been a family tradition and a home away from home.
Some of the rooms are a bit dated but always clean and comfortable. There are a variety of cabins that appear inviting and a real sense of community in the common spaces - pools, decks, lounges and even the dining room.
The drive up the tree-lined drive sets just the right welcoming tone. Situated on a point of land in the narrows between Lake Simcoe and Lake Couchiching provides plenty of access to the water, scenic views that include lots of wildlife. While relaxing one of several hammocks near docks, enjoying the breeze from the water, I was pleasantly surprised by a huge heron that landed on a dock and strolled past me less than 3 meters away while he fished for dinner.
Speaking of dinner, the food is fantastic. Several of us remarked that it is every bit as good as on the cruise ship with many savoury and sweet selections to chose from. It is all inclusive so you can try a variety of interesting dishes, morning, noon and evening. The serving staff are very professional and attentive and very friendly. They add to the homey feeling and go out of their way to make you feel welcome.
There is lots to do at the Fern in the water, on the water or just around the water or on the other hand it is a great place to do nothing. There do not appear to be any poor spots as far as location in the resort or rooms to avoid. It all seems to work well so find something that suits your style. If it is the winter, most cabins and rooms have a working fireplace!
Tip: If you are looking for a club, group or corporate venue for a conference or event put the Fern high on your list. They go out of their way to look after you and to accommodate your needs at no extra cost. They are a class act.

Room Tip: Rooms and cabins along the water are the most scenic and not a big issue with noise and foot traffic...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank MelOshawa
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Thank you for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the resort so much. Fern Resort is the ideal spot for groups, clubs, reunions, etc as you mentioned. We strive to go above and beyond to make it a memorable experience for all the attendees. The lake side setting, the staff, and the food certainly make it a great choice.
Thanks again for your wonderful comments!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

This past weekend we joined our British Car Club for a weekend at the Fern Resort. This property is at least 100 years old, but you sure wouldn't know it. The place is spotless and our room looked like it had just been carefully redone (we were impressed). The young staff are enthusiastic, cheerful and obviously well schooled in customer service. Our weekend was a "package" deal with dinner both Friday and Saturday night and a full breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. The food was very good, but not gourmet. I'm pretty sure we received a special group rate, but at $415 all-in it was an excellent two night value. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a water side room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ALM1

Thank you for the wonderful comments and observations from your resent stay with us here at Fern. We take great pride in our property and more importantly our staff. Our staff our committed, 100% in offering our guests a truly unique and genuine experience that is second to none. Updating and renovating our rooms and our property are always high on the priority list even when it seems unfeasible. There is true desire to offer the most in facilities, accommodations, and experiences by the family ownership and management of the resort.
Thanks again and we hope to see you and the car club again soon.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Fern Resort was the host to a organizational advisory and they worked so well with our business and personal needs during our stay. Beautiful view points being beside the water and lots to do. Indoor pool and hot tub could use a little updating but overall excellent.
The food is by far the best part. A wonderful selection for our delegates to choose from and prepared with care and finesse.
Would definitely book more groups with Fern Resort.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ashley L
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Hi Ashley, thank you for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear your groups needs were catered to and our location and food were the highlight of your stay. Fern Resort, although mostly known for family vacations, also hosts a variety of meetings and conferences throughout the year. Groups of 10 to 310 can find the perfect mix of state-of-the-art meeting room essentials to fantastic views and resort facilities that are sure to have your delegates happy and content with your choice of venue. Hosting a meeting or conference at Fern certainly gives you the best of both worlds.
We look forward to see you and your group again soon Ashley. Thank you.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

This resort advertises itself as all-inclusive, but it is not true. I was going to book a 3-night stay there for the long weekend, but the resort appears to be quite uncompromising. The stay for myself and for my daughter would cost me more than $750. It appears that dinner on the arrival date is not included (which is weird by itself). I suggested a compromise: swapping lunch on the departure day with dinner on the arrival day and just got "No" for an answer. Dinner for the two of us would cost (with taxes, service fees, etc.) around $60. I just can't understand why I have to pay this additional fee for the meal that is supposedly included... The explanation was that "We do this because sometimes people have trouble arriving by dinner with the long weekend traffic." Well, what to do if I do beat the traffic and I want to have dinner at the place I am staying? I decided not to go to Fern Resort this time. I've been there three or four times, and they've been more accommodating in the past. Well, too bad - who is losing in this situation?

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank PhotoGuy34
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments here on TripAdvisor. Our May Long weekend package is based and priced on having 8 meals included. Those 8 meals are; 2 dinners, 3 lunches, and 3 breakfasts. We have opted to take the Friday dinner meal and cost of that meal out of the package and the package price not only May Long Weekend but also, Labour Day Weekend and Thanksgiving weekend. This is not new and has been the practice for us here at Fern for over 20 years. For our guests that can and do arrive for the meal time, we do offer our dinner from a priced menu which seems to be more accepted than guests missing the meal and having paid for something they did not receive. Most people feel this is a better way to package the long weekend. I am sorry this does not sit well with you and I do apologize. I hope you do find a good Ontario resort experience that can provide you with a May Long weekend package that is right for you and your family.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed at Fern Resort for the first time on March Break, and had a wonderful experience. The room was comfortable with a nice view of the lake. The best part of the stay though was that everything is extremely laid-back and relaxing. Once you're here, you don't have to worry about anything. All the activities are covered. We enjoyed cross-country skiing, snow-shoeing, playing hockey and hanging out in the recreation centre playing ping-pong, pool and shuffle board. The kids had fun in the pool, but it was too shallow for the adults. We took advantage of the steam room and Jacuzzi though.

Food is also part of the package, and each meal is a sit-down 3-course feast. For my 12-year-old son, who is going through a growth spurt, this was his idea of heaven. He's still talking about the Peanut Butter Pie and the Sundaes. The food is top-notch and the service is very attentive. It was almost too much, and I could have even skipped a meal and still had enough to eat.

I highly recommend it to families, especially if you're looking for a no-hassle no-planning family vacation. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer M
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Thank you for posting your comments here on Tripadvisor and thank you for coming up to see us over the March Break! I am glad you and your family enjoyed all of the great activities that we had planned and that the food and dining experience were "top-notch!" Fern Resort strives to provide a good family getaway option to those that don't want to necessarily go south for the week or out west for the week. Only being 1.5 hours away from Toronto allows us to be the perfect destination for a short little getaway for families over the March Break. This year was exceptional for weather, one of the few in recent memory that we had skating on the lake available right through the entire week.
Thank you for posting your comments and we look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We have never stayed at Fern Resort so I was nervous in booking our March Break getaway there. This resort is older but has "great charm". They still use keys for the rooms and the TV's are older styles. A few touch ups of paint, and a few moldings need fixed, and the indoor pool door is a bit rusty but other then that the resort is maintained quite well. The indoor pool could be bigger and is only three feet deep but was perfect temperature. The dry sauna took a long time to heat up we found, maybe they could check it out. We found the mattresses too firm, but after one night we got adjusted to it. Everything in our room was in good working order, except for patio door handle lose. We told them and they appreciate knowing that and said maintenance would get right on fixing that. All entertainment was superb, especially "The Infinite Fantasy Circus Family" and also musician Angie Nussey. We enjoyed ice fishing and also the dog sledding was great and skating too. My daughter thought the outside zip line was really cool as well! The food is excellent there as are their famous buns at dinner. But unfortunately we bought three dozen and got bad batches to take home they didn't rise and were not fresh. But I spoke with Craig regarding that and he made things right. The night light in the bathroom as well as the hand sanitizers throughout the resort was appreciated. The choice of either buffet or menu is great and also that kids can eat off of the menu is super. I really enjoyed the soups, yummy! All staff were so friendly. Our waiter each day was Oding and he is just excellent, so kind and very accommodating. We gave our waiter "A high five" he deserved it. There are lots of daytime and night time activities, no one should be bored at all. We enjoyed the water color painting class. They put the age categories into groups and even fun for adults too. I enjoyed playing the trivia game in the afternoon guys against gals, it was fun! The portions are great you never go hungry, desserts are tasty, best is "Peanut Butter Pie". I never seen hot chocolate offered but maybe I just missed it, but we brought our own anyhow. I liked the bingo card sliders, much easier then chips or markers. My daughter enjoyed the fitness room she was able to go in their with our supervision. Most resorts kids can't go in the fitness room. She also enjoyed the yoga class. I thought the fireplace was so warm and cozy. I liked the fact in Mary Lou's Bar that my husband and I could enjoy a drink and listen to entertainment while my daughter could play pool, or go on Xbox or computers. You can rent movies for two dollars if you like at the gift shop. Would we return to Fern or recommend this resort "most definitely" This resort goes out of its way to make your stay enjoyable. sincerely, Heather Heron-Jurke

Room Tip: choose downstairs level in Fireside Inn, then you can use trolley cart to move your luggage to your...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Lee273
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Thank you for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor regarding your family's stay over March Break. This March Break we experienced exceptional winter-like weather for dogsledding, hayrides, skating on the lake and of course the cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. March Break is a special time for families and Fern Resort is the perfect spot to come together and have fun. I appreciate your comments on the small fixes needed and as our busy winter is almost behind us, we can start our spring clean up before the busy summer season hits.
I am glad to hear you and your family enjoyed the wide variety of activities, great dining options and the special time you spend together as a family. I hope to see you and your family again soon.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed at Fern for our friends wedding. Resort was a great layout for a summer wedding with a large group. Would highly recommend as an alternative to renting a cottage. Great lake access and good views. Dining staff was great! Wedding coordinator not as great.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thanking for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor. Having a resort wedding is truly an experience worth doing. As a bride and groom you have the opportunity to offer your guests a little vacation experience when they choose to celebrate your special day with you. Resorts offer such wonderful backdrop and atmosphere that you don't easily get in a hotel or banquet hall wedding.
Thanks again for posting your comments.
Fern Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orillia
Stone Gate Inn
Stone Gate Inn
#1 of 14 in Orillia
Best Western Plus Orillia Hotel
Best Western Plus Mariposa Inn & Conference Centre
Days Inn - Orillia
The Champlain Waterfront Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection
Residence Inn by Marriott Gravenhurst Muskoka Wharf

Been to Fern Resort? Share your experiences!