“Great view but understand the cancellation policy!”

Perce Au Pic de l'Aurore
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Perce
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our two week journey through Gaspe, New Brunswick and Maine.

As noted by others, the view is fabulous, and the accomodations are somewhat rustic and, for the most part, clean. They have a laundry room which was much needed!

Upon arrival, I had a disagreement with the owner concerning his cancellation policy. I had originally reserved a chalet for two nights. Our plans had changed on the day we arrived in Perce, and we could only stay for one night. My understanding was that this would be ok as long as I told them upon arrival. Turns out that I had misunderstood the policy.

Since I had not called to inform him of the change by a certain time on the day of our arrival, I was charged a hefty cancellation fee. If I had understood this, I most certainly would have abided by it. He insisted on charging the fee even though other units were obviously empty, so he wasn't losing any business.

My advice- this is a good place to stay in Perce, but make sure you fully understand the cancellation policy, and don't expect any leniency if your plans should change.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank EdPiercePhoto
Chaletperce, Owner at Perce Au Pic de l'Aurore, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are very sorry that you found our cancellation policy so difficult to understand. The policy published on our website stated that "You must advise us 24 hours before your departure if you decide to curtail your stay" which gives us a minimum time frame to try to rent the chalet to another guest. 1 bedroom chalet with kitchenette are a very specific product that traveler are usually booking many days in advance and so, very difficult to sell with few hours notice.
By reserving directly on our own on-line reservation system instead of using a third party booking services you made a good choice by allowing yourself more time to change your trip itinerary (3 days for third party booking services) but 24 hours is really the minimum necessary to get a fare chance to resell your chalet. One precision, there was no other 2 beds chalet kitchenette available for the night you cancelled, so it is a strong possibility that other tourist would have made a reservation giving enough time to make it. The penalty fee of 50% seems reasonable for us considering that we were not able to rent the chalet and so absorb the other 50% lost.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

the afternoon view of perce, the rock and bonaventura island are amongst the best village views i have ever seen (after 99 countries, i have seen some decent villages). even if you dont stay here, go get a sundowner drink at their terrace bar.
the rooms are simple, but spacious and clean. the owner incredibly helpful. it deserves to be the top choice in Perce.

PS for the very fit, a very strenuous hike up the hill will lead you to 'the ravine" , more outstanding coastline views and the chance to see moose or porcupine on the trail. note that this is a hot dusty road hike for the first mile heading 'straight up. so its only for the true believers in hiking. if you have a 4x4 you can drive up this road in which case the remaining hike is pleasant and shaded.

Room Tip: the rates list the rooms with a view. The lodge rooms have a superior view to the chalets view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mukson
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This motel is located in an elevated position, just outside of the main town of Perce. There are great views looking out to the sea and 'the rock'. The motel's location is actually better than being in the fairly busy area of the town. The rooms are a good size and have the added benefit of a balcony. The only negatives of this motel is that whilst a coffee maker was provided, there was no tea, coffee or milk provided. Also, no bathroom accessories (just a cheap plastic satchel of shampoo). A false economy, not good..

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Chaletperce, Owner at Perce Au Pic de l'Aurore, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

I would like to thank you for sharing your comments. As mention on a notice in the room, free coffee or tea, real cream and real milk is provided at the front desk for Tripadvisor followers using the promotion ticket available online on Tripadvisor or any other customers making their reservation directly with us by phone or using our own online reservation system. As for the bathroom accessories, they are part of the price of the room that most savvy customers prefer to avoid and also the main reason why tourism is very often considered not ecosystem friendly. In the province of Quebec, the evaluation guideline for a 3 stars hotel no longer required more than one big soap per room in order to protect the environment, and we respect those guidelines. Extra amenities are always available free of charge.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were traveling with our dog so were happy to find such nice accommodations. Our log chalet had a partial view of Perce rock from the front porch. We were given a two bedroom chalet with a full kitchen for the price of a regular chalet. If we used the kitchen facilities we would have been charged extra. This was not a problem since I hadn't planned on cooking. The chalets were clean and comfortable. It was a bit warm when we were there, but the fans helped keep the bedroom cool. For 3.50 each you can arrange to have a simple breakfast. Do it-the croissants and muffins are baked by the owner fresh each morning and the coffee was great. The main lodge also has a bar open in the evenings but we didn't check this out. The view is great as the property is on a cliff. It was a nice peaceful place to return to after a day exploring the beautiful Gaspe.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank paulamac
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this Au Pic de l'Aurore. Spacious, clean accommodations, very friendly owner, great location. I would not hesitate to stay there again. Seeing the gannets nesting was the highlight of my trip!

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool but I was unable to 'uncheck' the above boxes. Great, spacious...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We arrived in Percé without any plans of staying, but somebody recommended this place and we went up, if only to take some pictures from up there. When we were done, I figured I'd check on the price. I was quite shocked to find that for $74/night I could get a room with a view to the water! Hell, I've stayed in some crappy Comfort Inn rooms with nothing going for them other than being clean and comfortable enough that cost $120/night! So we decided to stay, and it was an excellent decision!

I stayed in the motel part (I don't know if any of the chalets have quite as nice a view as the motel rooms), in the smallest room, which was actually an average size, nothing too tiny. Everything was very clean, there was a flat screen TV, and the view was everything you could hope for, a large window overseeing the water and city of Persé. Stunning! Be warned, if you're looking for a super updated room, something modern, this is not the place for you. It's more of a cottage feel, wood all over and older looking furniture. But we weren't there for that. The view was priceless, and we even woke up at 4am the next morning to see the sunrise.

Beyond that, what can I say. The bed was comfortable, everything was working well, and we didn't need to rely on service much. I did have to call about the wifi (free) because it wasn't working, the owner (I think he's the owner) explained that sometimes it was sketchy with Apple products, you needed to try several times to connect, but once connected it always worked. He was correct, I was able to connect after a few tries and had no further issue. If I had to mention one minor hiccup, that would be it. Everything else was great for us, I think this place provides amazing value given the low cost. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank T M
Reviewed June 20, 2013

When you see my rating, you will think that I am a friend of the family or a relative. The
fact is, I have no connection with "Robert", the owner or his family. My wife and I were on a photography trip through Gaspesie going towards New Brunsewick. As we descended towards Perce, the whole town, the fantastic cliffs and the sea opened up in front of our eyes - a spectacular vision. We took a few shots from the road (a risky spot to do it) and realised that there is a rather fancy hotel/motel on the hill above us and that the view could be even better. We figured we will stop for coffee and take some photos while there. The photo opportunities from the bar, terrace and hotel grounds were superb.

We got to talk to a very friendly and flawlessly bilingual owner and found out that he is a photo enthusiast and a very good photographer. He really knows the area and he gave us a lot of great pointers. Just for lark we asked for a price and as it was not yet a full season, the price was very, very reasonable. We got a suite (!) that sleeps 4 that is very spacious, very well maintained, very clean. The furniture is mostly solid pine. The bed is very comfortable. The view from our terrace is a clincher. I took some of the best photos from there. Next day, at 6:30 when I was coming back after 2 hours photographing sunrise, Robert was already well on the way (as I could smell) baking croissants for our breakfast. Delicious and included. We decided to stay an extra day. The boat tour takes you to see huge bird colonies and seals on the far side of nearby island. Highly recommended. I never saw anything like that in Canada.

I think I checked out all the locations that give the view of the cliffs and the sea in town (including parking lot of many motels and restaurants, which are strangely deserted before 5 AM. In my view, none gives the stunning views I had in this hotel.

When you travel, you find some places you like more and some less, but rarely you find a really special place, where everything works well and than there is something extra. This is one of those very rare places. We tend to give 5 stars lightly to the places we like, and than we do not have the extra star to give to a place like this. Highly recommended.

P.S. Ask Robert to show you his photos. Inspiring work

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a great view. If you can not get it (and there are few that have a great view...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Pavel M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Perce
Riotel Perce
Auberge Motel Les Trois Soeurs
Motel du Haut Phare
Motel du Haut Phare
#3 of 12 in Gaspe

Been to Perce Au Pic de l'Aurore? Share your experiences!