“Ouh la la!”

Sonoma, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ouh la la!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

I was traveling Gaspésie alone by motorbike and happened upon this place. I heard it was where the locals went to eat which is what I was looking for. The Chef, Francios, was very friendly and the atmosphere was casual and real. I sat at the bar and we had a great time chatting. I watched as the local fishermen brought in their fresh caught lobsters and fish. The vegetable soup was out of this world! So satisfying after a long day of riding. I ordered the salmon fettuccine. Even though I was starving, I was not in a hurry to get my meal as I was having such a great time enjoying the atmosphere and hearing Francios' stories of Perce and his life as a chef. The fettuccine was crazy good. I will always remember this experience as the best meal from my trip around Gaspésie.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Julie A

“Good food; wine choices: red or white”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

The food was good; it was disappointing when my rillette was served cold from the fridge, rendering tasteless feeling like clay.

The only wine choices: red or white, some QC winery both. Overpriced.

Only takes cash, which caught us unprepared (big group, bill over 300$).

After serving our apetizers the owner had a conversation with patrons from another table. While doing that he was scratching his back, whole arm under his shirt. A bit of a put off while you eat.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank the_atomic_traveler
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Group of 12 in Perce”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

This restaurant was very highly rated as a place to eat in Perce. Possibly if you have a group of 4 or less, have lots of time, and want to pay cash it may be acceptable.
The restaurant ran out of scallops and asked people to change, offering an upgrade to Lobster at the same price. Two hours later the lobster was cold and the meat in the tail was covered in green slime. The Fetuccine was plentiful but tasted just OK.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Diane W
Lopez Island, WA
“Peut-on trouver mieux à Percé?/Can you find any better in Percé?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Mes commentaires en Français sont plus bas.

If you read my other reviews, you know that I travel quite a bit, that I have experience in resort management, and that I am not snobby but I like decent food and service. That's why I loved this place. From an owner who truly care for you to have a good time, to the chef/assistant-chef who understand how to make truly delicious, uncomplicated food using local fresh ingredients, this place deserves all the positive comments it received.
For example, the puréed vegetable soup of the day was full of hearthy flavors; I don't care for blah-blah, I want real food, tasty in its own right. The scallops were the most tender, most perfectly cooked we have ever had. My spouse felt that the was a smidgen too much maple syrup in the sauce for her, but I loved them and they were excellent in both our views. The sugar pie was as good as my mom's, the coffee was rich without being bitter and, most of all, the service was as good as I have seen, and I used to have an excellent crew when I was in that business. Yes, the decor is rough, but the place is clean and I prefer that the chef care about cooking than redecorating every week.
Some well-heeled Americans came in; some got the picture and seemed to enjoy themselves, others were upset that the kitchen did not have enough scallops for everyone. Folks, everything is truly fresh, not out of the freezer; the weather was bad for the last three days, you don't get all the seafood you need. Thems the berries when you eat real food! I felt that I was eating in a "bouchon" in Lyon.

Si vous avez lu mes autres critiques, vous savez que je voyage beaucoup, que j'ai de l'expérience dans la gérance de lieu de villégiature, et que je ne suis pas un snob mais que j'aime du bon service et de la bonne chère. C'est pour celà que j'ai tant aimé ce restaurant. Du proprio qui adore vous servir, au chef qui est venue nous servir aussi avec un grand sourire ses plats délicieux et simples conçus avec des produits locaux et frais, cet endroit mérite tous les bons commentaires déjà écrit sur ce site.
Notre soupe aux lègumes en purée était parfaite, les pétoncles étaient les plus tendres et les plus délicieuses que nous n'ayons jamais eues, la tarte au sucre était aussi bonne que celle de ma mère. Ma femme a trouvé que la sauce des pétoncles était juste un peu trop sucrée (au sirop d'érable) pour son goût, mais je ne suis pas d'accord; je l'ai adorée. Même le café était bon: fort sans être amer. C'était tout comme nous étions dans un bon bouchon de Lyon. Il y a peut-être un meileur endroit où manger à Gaspé, mais j'en doute. Merci aux contributeurs de TripAdvisor qui nous ont guidé ici.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank rtetu
Toronto, Canada
“Best lobster in Perce”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

This place is open late and serves the best lobster in town. Since I'm a newbie and it shows, the bartender (who is also the cook and the waiter) even volunteered to show me how to best handle the crustacean (with your hands, reserve the fork for picking up potatoes). Friendly service and great food, although to be fair, I did not try any of their other dishes, just drinks and lobster.

• Visited May 2012