“Beautiful Inn”
Review of Trinity House Inn

Trinity House Inn
Ranked #10 of 12 Gananoque B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Prince Regent Suite for three nights and unlike a previous reviewer, had a lovely experience. Although the room is on a lower level it was spacious, cozy and comfortable. The hot tub was more than welcome after a long day of cycling on the 1000 Islands trails. The Inn was beautifully restored, clean and comfortable and the suite was freshened as expected each day. The innkeeper, Jacques, was friendly and accommodating. We dined in the inn's restaurant one evening and enjoyed our meal. Portions were generous and the meal was good. It was prepared freshly, in-house as we spoke to the chef when he was prepping in the afternoon and we saw him prepare the chicken dish I at that evening.

I would not hesitate to recommend the inn to others.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
jj9090, Owner at Trinity House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

The Trinity Inn is in a lovely old brick building in Gananoque. The owner lives in and is friendly and considerate. Our room was charming although a little on the small side -- to be expected in a building of this vintage. Dinner was superb -- I had a delicious seafood linguine in rosé sauce; my wife had scallops in a cream saffron sauce. The food was fine dining quality, yet the service was friendly and relaxed.

The Trinity is definitely worth looking into if you like a boutique type experience. Warm and friendly service, excellent food.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay here and your visit to our lovely town.
Thanks for taking the time to write a review.Regards.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

My wife and I stopped in Gananoque because we were en route from visiting family and love the area. We had a horrible experience. We stayed in the "Prince Regent Room" which was there most expensive room and looked good online. Unfortunately, the website never mentioned that the room was in the basement, musty, cold and dark. We had a package that included dinner (avoid eating here if you can) and it was horrible. Both orders we put in came wrong only to take 25 mins to be corrected. It was nowhere near the value in terms of price as one pasta dish had a tomato sauce that was just a can of Tomato soup. We also had a lasagna that was dry, and appeared to be 5 days old which we sent back. When we addressed these issues with the inn keeper he took no responsibility and seemed angry and defensive. His responses included that lasagna "tastes better days old and at room temperature" and that we should have read the guest book and used the space heaters to make the room warmer and fresher though it was 30 degrees plus outside during our stay and another staff member claimed they had fixed the problem (never happened). We've stayed at 4 other of Ontario's Finest Inns and enjoyed all f them but please, AVOID this inn at all costs. Try another inn or hotel but avoid what will surely be a negative experience!

3  Thank Mike S
jj9090, Owner at Trinity House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

This couple had originally booked a room on the second floor but changed it to take advantage of a special package for the Prince Regent jacuzzi suite which was advertised on Ontario's Finest Inns website.Our website describes this suite and states that "...its in the lower downstairs level with exposed limestone walls...".It has 4 chest height windows 2 of which open for cross ventalation.There is central air conditioning in the building.The suite has an electic wall heater across from the jacuzzi tub and another in the bedroom.
It was only upon my checking these people out at the end of their stay that I learned of their concerns about the suite and dining.I have investigated the dinning complaint and learned that a lasagna was sent back and a more expensive pasta dish was substituted.The server properly charged them the lower price and she checked with her customer and was told that they were satified.
I deny stating that "lasagna tastes better days old and at room temperature..." I did say that lasagna tastes better the day after it is made so that it has a chance to settle.I do take exception when I am accused of not taking ownership and responsibility.I listened to their complaints and found that a refund was not justified.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Back again to this wonderful old Inn only this time for my birthday. My birthday dinner was superb as usual and the accomodations were perfect. Our host Jacques O'Shea was most delightful and we enjoyed every moment of our stay. We will surely be visiting this Inn again. The service, the food and the atmosphere is exactly what you need to de-stress. Thanks Jacques for being such a wonderful host and providing such a great birthday experience.

Room Tip: Book Camelot room - very roomy and very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
jj9090, Owner at Trinity House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We (my spouse and I) had dinner here on Friday July 6th, 2012 before going to the Theatre. I have to say that I had the best filet mignon that I have ever had in my life. It cut like butter without need for a steak knife. Odered medium rare and it came medium rare - perfect! Vegetables were also cooked to perfection with a delicious sauce. For desert we shared the creme brulee - again fabulous! Thank you for a wonderful dinner. We most certainly will be back!
Carrie Leroux and Dave Webster

Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review us.I am pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience.
Jacques O'shea

Reviewed June 27, 2012

We booked this Inn to celebrate our 49th Anniversary, and we added the Bed and Breakfast Plan for an extra $12.00, which I wish we hadn't done, because the breakfast both days was terrible. Dinner the first night we were there was really great, as was the service. We had already made plans to dine elsewhere the second night. Our room was TINY, and although comfortable, certainly not what I would have liked to celebrate such a special occasion. The second day we were there we had tickets for a Boat Cruise of the Thousand Islands in the morning and we were asked to move our car to a parking lot because they were going to spray wash the parking lot at the Inn. When we arrived back at the Inn later in the afternoon, there was mud on the ground of most of the parking lot. We have stayed at quite a few B & B's, and Trinity House Inn certainly does not compare. I might add, they were aware we were celebrating our 49th anniversary, and there were other rooms available while we were there, but they were not offered to us. On a positive note, they did arrange the tickets for the Boat Cruise the second day, and Theatre Tickets the first day (which I had requested when booking).

Room Tip: Don't book "CONSTANCE" ROOM!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ann B
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

I am sorry that you had a less than satisfactory experience.During your stay there were larger rooms available but at a higher rate.When you booked I assumed that you had been to our website and reviewed the room descriptions,pictures and rates.If I had known that you were disatisfied I could have given you a larger room at the higher rate.I apologize for this.
The breakfast is $6 per person.It is optional as I have guests that sometimes don't want breakfast.Therefore it is not included or built into the room rate.We offer a full hot and cold buffet:coffee,tea,juice,buttermilk pancakes,bacon or sausages, a hot egg dish,fresh fruit salad,yogurt,granola,pastries,cereals,breads,jams and condiments prepared that morning by myself.
We pressure sprayed the interlock brick parking lot during your stay.There was substitute complimentary parking 100 yards away.There was some mud on the bricks which I had to wait to dry so that it could be swept up.
I can't do anything about room sizes as this is a historic home built in 1859.I continually strive to maintain the comfort of the rooms.I provide modern amenities such as central air conditioning,ceiling fans,colour cable TV and wireless internet.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Gananoque is well worth a visit.The scenery is beautiful and the island cruises(3) are very enjoyable.Passports are needed for one cruise.My wife and I stayed at the Trinity House Inn,owned and operated byJacques O'Shea.It has lots of old world charm and a beautiful garden.It is a short walk to the water and the start of the cruises.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very good.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alfred V
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.I am from Toronto and was captivated by the natural scenic beauty when I sailed here.As a result I moved and created an inn here 23 years ago. I never tire of the beauty the area has to offer each season.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gananoque
The Gananoque Inn and Spa
1000 Islands Harbor Hotel
The Woodview Inn
The Woodview Inn
#4 of 12 in Gananoque

Been to Trinity House Inn? Share your experiences!