“Funky with great food”

The Socialist Pig
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 23, 2014

What an interesting funky place. Not only does it look and feel good, the food is great at very reasonable prices. Definitely would come back.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Visited this restaurant today during our trip to Gananoque - and we'll be back for sure!

Had the 16 Hour melt (with beef brisket) and Beef brisket quesadilla - both were outstanding! In addition, the coffee (Americano) is absolutely amazing - we were told each cup is ground and made to order.

The atmosphere is very nice - the restaurant section is small but cozy, and the way that the meals are served (on wooden boards) is very unique. They also offer unusual choices - like a local Cane Sugar Cola instead of commercial Coca-Cola. The waitress was extremely friendly and chatted with all the guests - and was very helpful in answering some questions we had about the town. The meals are a tad pricey - but well worth it!

Overall, great experience.

Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

I moved to Gananoque from Ottawa in November and was hesitant that I wouldn't have the amenities I was used to. The Pig set me at ease when I walked into the quaint shop, and had me convinced the move was a good idea at the first sip of my perfectly crafted latte. They also make a variety of baked goods that are a refreshing change from generic commercial coffee joints.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I met friends at this trendy-looking cafe for breakfast, in the tiny restaurant part. The friendly waitress didn't seem familiar with the place. I asked her several times what the wi-fi password was, before she found out.

The Pig's idea of "huevos rancheros" is two overpriced tiny tostadas, with a smear of beans and a dab of salsa, served on a plank with piles of chopped raw onions, lettuce and tomatoes. After being told several times that the "huevos" are always hard cooked, and cannot be ordered soft, the eggs all came out runny. My friend was ok with that; I sent mine back to be cooked.

Another friend, who ordered eggs benedict, was happy with her food. While the little "rancheros" were tasty, we wished we had ordered the pancakes, or french toast, that we saw at other tables.

Good Earl Grey Tea was served in a mod-art type round teapot. Coffee refills were never offered; I think we were charged for the "additional" coffee I requested. We did notice the 18% automatically added to the bill.

I'd consider a pastry and coffee in the common room next time, instead of the overpriced meal.

1  Thank lem1eu10
Reviewed October 26, 2013

What a serendipitous find as we passed the uninspiring and predictable restaurants on the main thoroughfare looking for a light meal when driving from Toronto to Ottawa. Small menu, good selection, well cooked, well served by friendly and informative ( re locality) staff. Don't go in with over-expectations...but one wouldn't anyway!

1  Thank hunger4d