“Colonial Resort + Spa...Excellent Staff, We Loved it... We,ll be back in October, 2009.”

Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Gananoque
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I decided to do something different for my Husband,s Birthday this year, so, I had remembered this Place through a Friend who resides in Renfrew, Ontario...who had been visiting his Daughter who lives in Kingston, Ontario... He and his Partner stayed at the Colonial Resort for a COUPLE OF NIGHTS,and I had an opportunity of also visiting the Resort...to catch up with them on Old Times...I was taken by their pools, hot tub, sauna, and the Tranquility room... so, when I decided to book... I couldn,t remember the name so... I drove all the way to Gananoque the week before to find the "Perfect Spot"...and there it was.Debbie, on Front Desk was very helpful in signing Us up for the "Get Away Package"..Room, Dinner and Breakfast... which may I add were all Great!!! Debby also helped me find a Bathing Cap...Gift for "The Little Woman"...and went out of her way to make us feel welcome.Staff was very pleasant, cheerful, and helpful. The Grounds were spotless, Rooms were very Clean, although we stayed in a 70,s Room...it was as clean as a "Whip". I should know... as , I do Private Cleaning,and Care for Seniors and know exactly what people of all ages expect...People booking for a Pleasant stay owe it to Themselves to Check this Resort out... Seriously, We will be Returning, on Our Anniversary in October, of this Year. We had a Beautiful time, walked downtown and took in the Museums... and all the Sites.Again , Thankyou to all the Colonial Resort Staff and Owner,s. JudyAnn and Sint. P.S. The Pricing , compared to other Resorts, Motels, and Hotels, was Amazing!!!
Colonial Resort, and Spa... in Gananoque..is "Perfect Place"... People are Really Amazing... Treat You Like Family, not A Stranger Passing Through.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank What-a-Getaway

Reviewed August 20, 2009

I have travelled for many years on both business and pleasure. Rarely, do I find a place like The Colonial. The staff, which includes the new owners, make all the difference to me. They make you feel like your the only guest there, even though they were sold out the week we were there. The resort is as clean as any place I've ever been. The food there was great. A lot of choices on the menu, and very timely service. Yes, the place does have some age, BUT, it is soooo well taken care of that you don't notice it's age. Not only have I found a great place to stay in Canada, but I have also made some really good friends too. The hospitality that Kelly, Michelle, and Jean warmly offer to there guests is the real difference maker. I want to thank all the people at the Colonial for making our stay as good as it gets! And YES, my family and I will be returning back there on our next vacation to Canada. AYE!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank cpfan90
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Not getting much here for your money. It costs less than most hotels in the area and the place was clean but badly outdated. The "free buffet breakfast" was little more than a basic continental breakfast. Location isn't bad. The staff wasn't particularly helpful or nice. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2009

My Family and I have stayed at the Colonial Resort & Spa for the last 25 years. We have always had a wonderful experience. The rooms are clean and very tastefully decorated, beds are very comfortable . The grounds are very spacious with lots of parking and easy access to all the rooms. It is such a pleasure just to stroll along the the walking path or sit in one of the many Gazebos and read. All the facilities ie: pools ,spa, steam room, sauna etc are excellant. We use them all including the Spa Services. My wife usually has a manicure and I enjoy a relaxing pedicure and massage. It is so peaceful to stay at the Colonial ,we just love it everytime. We eat our breakfast and dinner at the resort and find the food to be good and very good value. We usually have lunch elsewhere when we are out for the day. We also enjoy the Casino which is just five minutes away. We also like to golf and take in the Playhouse for evening entertainment and we have also joined in on the the fun entertainment at the resort most evenings. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone .

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank bellvue1
Reviewed May 29, 2008

My husband suprised me with an evening in a premium room with jucuzzi, and a fireplace for our 22nd anniversary.We live in Gananoque and thought we would just stay local....what a huge dissapointment. The room was musty smelling, and the decor was that of the 70's. There was dead bugs on the floor around the firplace, the curtain hooks were off the track, and the complimentary house coats were so hard and stiff as if they had been hanging outside for weeks! For a premium room ($175.00 per night) this is unacceptable, for a basic room, unacceptable.When our complaints in regards to our room was brought to the managers attention shortly after our arrival ,there was nothing what so ever that they would do to right the situation.
I'm not sure how thie motel stays in business.....must rely on bus tours only because I cant see any returning customers..

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank cdbishop
Reviewed August 20, 2007

The Colonial is sooo lovely!!! How this hotel is rated #12 of 12 hotels in Gananoque I will never know! It should be in the top 3 in our opinion!! We stayed at the Colonial for one night and wished we could have stayed longer! It was lovely to stay in a hotel that didn't try to impress you with those superfluous things like oversized beds and bathrooms or rooms that are ultra modern with zero personality, like bigger hotel chains are famous for! The Colonial is a resort that reminds you of the way hotels used to be, very quaint and homely. It reminded me of the 'Kellermans' resort in Dirty Dancing!! We made great use of our time there by playing tennis, swimming in the indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna, etc!! The breakfast was great as well!! My bf and I are in our mid-20's and have vacationed around the world in countries from Dubai to NYC and beyond and this hotel beats out any Marriott, any day!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank cjclement
Reviewed May 21, 2007

My girlfriends and I recently stayed at the Colonial Resort and were very disappointed. Although the Resort website shows pictures of the rooms, we had been told that some of the rooms had been recently rennovated and were hoping to get one of those. We didn't! We walked in and felt we had been transported to the 70's! The rooms had a damp smell, there were flowers on the walls just as in the pictures on the website and the comforters were a gaudy flower pattern. The bathroom was tiny and didn't even have a fan. Every time we took a shower, the entire bathroom became steemed up and we had to open the door to clear it - even the walls were wet. Ok, we could have put up with it if it weren't for the bed. I have never slept on a harder, more uncomfortable mattress in my life. Even camping on the ground was more comfortable than that mattress! At least with camping, you knew you hadn't paid over $160 to sleep on a hard surface. The Continental breakfast was no different. It was "free" but it certainly was nothing to brag about. The muffins were tiny little things that perhaps a child would enjoy, and to toast a bagle, you had to wait in line behind the tour group as there were only two toasters in a tiny space. At least the staff at the restaurant were friendly. So, if you are on a tour and are having a one night stop-over and comfort is not really a must, then stay here. If you are looking for a relaxing weekend in a comfortable hotel room, then this isn't the place for you. It definitely isn't worth the $160+ dollars we paid! I agree with one of the other individuals who wrote a review - this place is good only for tours because the comfort of individuals is definitely not a consideration.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends