“Average lodging for one night” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Squire Resort & Spa

Country Squire Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Gananoque
Pennsylvania
“Average lodging for one night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

We were sight seeing at Alexandria Bay and the Thousand Islands and I wanted to take the kids into Canada for a night so decided to book at this Best Western. I waffled between a few different hotels and decided on this because of the Best Western brand name, close proximity to Alex Bay area and also because they had a indoor pool. Hotels with indoor pools are not as easy to find as you may think in the Alex Bay / Gananoque area. The check-in agent was very friendly. The room we had came with 2 double beds, was clean and worked well for our one night stay. The hotel was actually a lot larger than I expected with an exercise room and banquet and meeting rooms. The mini-fridge we got didn't have a freezer section (found that odd since they all usually seem to have one) . Because we couldn't refreeze our cooler ice packs, I needed ice for our cooler, but the ice machine near our room didn't work so I had to walk across to the other side of the hotel to get ice. The kids were expecting to take a dip in the pool in the evening but the indoor pool was closed due to some maintenance issue while we were there, very dissapointing since that was a major reason I selected this hotel. Outdoor pool seemed cold in the evening so no one did any swimming. The other thing I noticed was that the sign indicated the pools were salt water. The room rate included breakfast so the next morning we ate at the attached restaurant - Good Time Charlies. The 'free' hot breakfast included scrambled eggs, bacon, juice, coffee served by a waitress, nicer than a standard buffet. Was perfect for us (2 adult, 2 children) and the staff was very accomodating to us since one of my children has food allergies. The hotel was nice and I would stay again. I can not give it more than an average rating for this stay however, since the ice machine was broken and the pool was closed for maintenance issues. An additional note, the drive from Alex Bay to Gananogue was much longer than I anticipated. I expected 20-25 minutes, but it took about 45 minutes. The actual driving distance was longer than I expected, plus the wait in line for the customs check at the US/CA border crossing was longer than I expected. However, the drive across the Thousand Islands Bridge was worth it.

• Liked — Pleasant staff, Better than average free breakfast
  • Disliked — ice machine not working, pool not open due to maintenance issue
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank fly-or-drive

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Hungarian first
Halton Hills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

I have travelled all over the world and have stayed at many Best Western Hotels and this was by far the best experience I have ever had. Rodger and his staff we're all second to none. The room was great, the food was amazing. Everything was top notch.

I definitely plan on returning to this location and will recommend it to anyone going that way.

They will have my business for as long as I live.

Great job all around.

Thank you very much.

William E Oates

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank WilliamOates
ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2008

I recently booked a night at the Best Western Resort for my husband and me. We live only a 2 hour drive away but he had recently had a heart attack and I thought it looked like a nice little place for us to get away and spend a night. We had a beautiful room with nice hardwood floors (which I've never seen in a hotel) and a private patio leading out to the pool. Unfortunately, during the evening, my husband began experiencing chest pains, and by 1:30 a.m., we knew that we'd better head home and get him to the hospital (as they'd recommended, under these circumstances).

I called the hotel several days later to explain what had happened and asked if perhaps we could get a pass to come at another time when we could fully enjoy our stay. 'Without a blink' they refunded our money. I believe that speaks volumes.

Great place, friendly staff and peaceful place to spend a night. I'd highly recommended it to anyone visiting Gananoque and I will visit there again.

Thanks Best Western Country Squire Resort!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank gotaminute
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2008

We were staying elsewhere when my wife walked around to the outdoor pool area. We immediately changed hotels and spent a great three nights there.

Having a nice room with a veranda over looking the gardens and the pool was the highlight.

The staff and management were friendly and helpfull;
The room and the hotel in general was clean, recently updated and nicely decorated;
All the sports facilities including both pools, the tennis and squash courts are clean and well maintained;
The restaurant,"Charley's" is clean,offers good variety and great food at reasonable prices;

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to coming back.

• Liked — great room with a view
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Martha M
Whitby, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2008

Had a stop over in Gananoque. Wanted to go to the Holiday Inn Express (since I had stayed there before and liked it), but the Holiday Inn was booked.

The Best Western is next door. It isn't a new "motel", but it looks clean from the outside. We shopped around the few hotels that were on the strip, and decided to go with Best Western because they offered a decent free breakfast, and the rate was one of the cheapest at $119.00/night for two double beds.

The room was stuffy, and the decor looked outdated. Thou, it was clean. I would have thought $79.99 was more realistic of a price for the night, than the $119.00 we paid.

We had the window air conditioner on all night, and was it ever noisy.

There is a pool, tennis court, and a large area at the back of the motel were children can play. At a glance, the property itself has a lot to offer.

As mentioned, we were there for the night and the price for the room was $120.00, which for what it was should have been $80.00.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank P1ckyTraveller

Travelers are raving about these Gananoque hotels

Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2008

We stayed at this Best Western while attending the Canadian Tandem Rally in Gananoque, ON along with 71 other tandem teams. The staff were very friendly and delt well with the unusual needs of our group. The complex seems to be doing some renovating to some of the rooms while others are in great need of upgrading. We stayed in room 131 which had 2 queen beds. Complimentary wireless internet was also available in our room. The resort, as it is called but not sure why, is in a great location for touring the Thousand Islands of Gananoque but I would not choose to stay here if returning to this area as I prefer a more modern facility.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dated
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RansRider
Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

This hotel is very rundown and does not meet Best Western Standards. I stayed here 10 years ago when it was not owned by Best Western and it was much better than it is now. At first we were assigned a room that was only accessible via the parking lot even though I had requested a room inside. The room was equivalant to an Motel 5 or less. When we checked in the front desk girl told us that it was the only room they had available with the exception of a $180 whirlpool suite. When we went back to tell her we weren't staying in that "room" there were other people checking in in front of us. They had mistakenly booked for the wrong night. She also sold them the story about the whirlpool room being the only one available. They didn't want to stay in the whirlpool room either and then she said she had a cabin so they reluctantly took it. When we got up to the counter she refused to give us a refund on the room. After we made it clear that we weren't paying for that dumpy room (which she agreed was a terrible room by the way!) she magically found another one that she didn't have before?! When we refused it as well because you had to go outside to access the hotel she magically came up with another that was interior that we took. Why is this clerk obviously lying to customers to try and get them to book the expensive room? This is not acceptable. If I had seen the other guests again I most certainly would have told them that they had rooms and they were lied to. And the young woman at the desk was very unfriendly through the entire check in nightmare. The next day when I went to check out they had charged me for 2 rooms!!! At least the clerk working that day was friendly.

The room that we finally accepted was a dump. Laminate floor in a motel room? Different - not sure if I like it. The bedspreads were paper thin 70s style crap. Expected more from Best Western. The bathroom was old and paint was chipping everywhere. There was a weird screened in porch on the outside of our room which I guess might be nice in the summer. There was a hornet in the bathroom. The water pressure was so high in the shower it felt like razor blades were hitting my back.

On a positive note - the pool and hot tub are excellent. The salt water pool is huge and clean. The hot tub is very hot and enjoyable.

The free breakfast is an actual breakfast with bacon, eggs, homefries or pancakes and coffee or juice.

The room was only $89 on a seniors rate so I guess you get what you pay for. But if you are used to staying at classier places then I definitely wouldn't stay here. Fortunately there is a brand new Holiday Inn Express next door - if I had known I would have probably stayed there! Definitely will next time.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family