“Improvements Needed”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Gananoque
Minnesota
“Improvements Needed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2008

We stayed at this Best Western while attending the Canadian Tandem Rally in Gananoque, ON along with 71 other tandem teams. The staff were very friendly and delt well with the unusual needs of our group. The complex seems to be doing some renovating to some of the rooms while others are in great need of upgrading. We stayed in room 131 which had 2 queen beds. Complimentary wireless internet was also available in our room. The resort, as it is called but not sure why, is in a great location for touring the Thousand Islands of Gananoque but I would not choose to stay here if returning to this area as I prefer a more modern facility.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dated
  • Stayed May 2008
1 Thank RansRider

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Hungarian first
Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

This hotel is very rundown and does not meet Best Western Standards. I stayed here 10 years ago when it was not owned by Best Western and it was much better than it is now. At first we were assigned a room that was only accessible via the parking lot even though I had requested a room inside. The room was equivalant to an Motel 5 or less. When we checked in the front desk girl told us that it was the only room they had available with the exception of a $180 whirlpool suite. When we went back to tell her we weren't staying in that "room" there were other people checking in in front of us. They had mistakenly booked for the wrong night. She also sold them the story about the whirlpool room being the only one available. They didn't want to stay in the whirlpool room either and then she said she had a cabin so they reluctantly took it. When we got up to the counter she refused to give us a refund on the room. After we made it clear that we weren't paying for that dumpy room (which she agreed was a terrible room by the way!) she magically found another one that she didn't have before?! When we refused it as well because you had to go outside to access the hotel she magically came up with another that was interior that we took. Why is this clerk obviously lying to customers to try and get them to book the expensive room? This is not acceptable. If I had seen the other guests again I most certainly would have told them that they had rooms and they were lied to. And the young woman at the desk was very unfriendly through the entire check in nightmare. The next day when I went to check out they had charged me for 2 rooms!!! At least the clerk working that day was friendly.

The room that we finally accepted was a dump. Laminate floor in a motel room? Different - not sure if I like it. The bedspreads were paper thin 70s style crap. Expected more from Best Western. The bathroom was old and paint was chipping everywhere. There was a weird screened in porch on the outside of our room which I guess might be nice in the summer. There was a hornet in the bathroom. The water pressure was so high in the shower it felt like razor blades were hitting my back.

On a positive note - the pool and hot tub are excellent. The salt water pool is huge and clean. The hot tub is very hot and enjoyable.

The free breakfast is an actual breakfast with bacon, eggs, homefries or pancakes and coffee or juice.

The room was only $89 on a seniors rate so I guess you get what you pay for. But if you are used to staying at classier places then I definitely wouldn't stay here. Fortunately there is a brand new Holiday Inn Express next door - if I had known I would have probably stayed there! Definitely will next time.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank welltravelledpeoples

Travelers are raving about these Gananoque hotels

Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2007

My husband and I stayed for the weekend. It was great to have a facility that had everything in it - pool, hot tub, steam room, squash courts and restaurant attached. The staff was friendly, the owner onsite and great...he even let the dogs run loose in the courtyard with his beautiful pup Sheba.

We had a nice room with a hot tub which we didn't use since there was one at the pool. There was lots of places to walk the dogs and it was close to downtown and the casino.

I would highly recommend this spot especially if you have dogs. There were many pooches onsite and everyone was happy at the end of the day!

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank Sahayoga
laval
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2007

the room was very nice and clean. I had a very comfortable king bed and a very big jacuzzi. At night, i went to the restaurent Charlee`s and i had such a good time. the food was very good and they were rasing money for kid`s in the region. There was a lot of peoples. There was a competition of buffalo wing eaters(so much fun to watch). all i can say is that my experience was fantastic and the service wonderfull.

• Liked — the room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
Brockville, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel many times with friends and family. We love the facility, especially the indoor pool and hot tub. In the summer time we have great times with the kids, they love the outdoor pool, tennis courts and especially the trampoline. My personal highlight is a trip to the on site spa for a massage or pedicure.
On this particular visit we were a group of 13 friends. We booked the penthouse that has three bedrooms, a full size kitchen and living room and your own hot tub off your own deck. It was a perfect venue for us. It is somewhat secluded from the rest of the hotel so we did not have to worry about making too much noise as we all chatted into the long hours of the night. (and soaked in the hot tub until 3 am!)
Thank you to the owner, Rodger for helping us pull off our dinner and to all the staff that accomodated us! We would recommend this place to anyone!

• Liked — Clean room, spacious, famiy oriented, friendly helpful staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Roadrunner8
Belleville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2007

I booked this hotel after reading their website. I was surprised when my credit card was charged for the first night immediately after booking in the spring, even though we weren't staying there until July.

I knew we were in trouble when we drove into the parking lot. This "resort" looked more like a motel. There was even a shirtless man sitting on a balcony drinking beer watching us as we unpacked the car. We had to walk through a narrow alleyway to get to our room. The room was large, but it had a mildew smell. I had booked a room with a "private porch". The air conditioner was venting onto the porch so it was too hot to sit there. The courtyard that this patio was on was full of dead weeds, and there were a lot of cigarette butts scattered around.

We were paying approximately $169 a night. We enquired about leaving immediately and getting a refund, but the staff at the front desk didn't think they could do this. I didn't want to lose that amount of money, since we had already paid for the first night, so we decided to stay one night and cancel the second night.

The next morning, when we enquired about our "hot breakfast" that was advertised on their website and was included in our room rate, we were not directed to the restaurant but rather to the breakfast room, which was a small room crammed with some kitchen tables and chairs. It was self serve, and included bread, bagels, pastries and some "no name" instant oatmeal. I guess you could call it "hot" because they provided a toaster and a kettle. I thought advertising it as a hot breakfast was misleading.

• Liked — Nice outdoor pool
  • Disliked — Too expensive
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled with family
5 Thank jubejube
ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2006

Our stay at the Best Western was average. The room was dated and the air and furnishings were stuffy. We wanted to go out on our "patio" and have a drink but the people next door had that idea and were an elbow length away on their patio smoking. Needless to say, we stayed inside of our stuffy room. The staff was friendly, although we didn't have that much contact with them. Check out was slow.

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — Dated room
  • Tips/Secrets — n/a