“Perfect Mothers Day Weekend!”

Country Squire Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Gananoque
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This place is older but that should not be used as a negative! We were given an early check in which I found to be a nice touch seeing as it was a very busy weekend. We had traveled from Niagara Falls and were tired.
The pool area was great and loved by our child (3) Breakfast was nice (free means nice!) The people who I encountered who work there all had smiles. Our room was in the 200 section and had a nice private patio for me to go out to smoke. Opened to the outdoor pool area. Flat screen tv with the movie channels. Quick Internet. And GREAT coffee. Best hotel coffee I have ever had.
I have worked in hotels for 16 years and find that a smile goes along way while people are vacationing.
Overall I would say that I have found our new place to stay while we are traveling to either Ottawa or Kingston as we do every 3 months or so.
The price is spot on for a tourist area. (the DMF charge needs to be addressed though!!!!!)
Thanks for the great stay. Carol made the reservation and took time to explain all to me and I have mentioned to my front staff at the hotel I work at a few key things she said to me on the phone. Her manager needs to know how she deals with the public is spot on. And because of her is why I chose the Best Western over my employee rate hotel in Kingston.

Thanks again! See you in July!

1  Thank LED1612

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed overnight after visiting with family in Gananogue and were pleasantly surprised when we checked into this Best Western. The front staff was very welcoming and we had a lovely room, without outdoor sitting area, overlooking the garden and outdoor pool (unfortunately at this time of the year not open). The breakfast area, indoor or outdoor, and the complimentary hot breakfast were perhaps the best we've experienced at a BW. Would I stay her again? Yes.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed May 24, 2013

It may have been a resort once, but it's misleading to call it that now as other businesses have filled in the street over the years. Clearly a former mom&pop that has had buildings & restaurants added over the years before being taken over by the chain. Three couples and a single from our family were in two nights for a wedding outside town. No complaints about three of the rooms; the decor was outdated - Jacobean flowered wallpaper and heavy armoire/headboard seemed about 20 years old but in great condition. But the rooms were clean and beds comfortable. We paid extra for a jacuzzi & fireplace room - jacuzzi fine but the fireplace was just one of those illusion things, not even gas - wouldn't pay for that again. We did like that the room opened to the middle courtyard. Our daughter & her BF arrived the second day but didn't check in until we returned from wedding at about 8 pm. Their room had a terrible stench - very strong, and when they asked to be moved, someone came and sprayed something and put a fan in the room. This didn't help. For some time the desk clerk argued there was no other vacancy, but eventually "upgraded" them to a jacuzzi cabin at no extra charge. Which was a good thing since they found a lot of ants in the jacuzzi and after washing those away, could not get enough hot water to use the thing. The complementary breakfast was served in a back room: scrambled eggs, sausages, a selection of cereals and pastries....served on paper plates & plastic cutlery! Quite surprising this day and age,especially since, like most hotels, they encourage guests to reuse towels. I know most complementary breakfasts are only continental, but the room prices here are on a par with a very modern Toronto hotel I use a lot that gives a full breakfast buffet with many choices.
The restaurant out front has a nice patio with friendly service, but we only had a snack there which was tasty. Our son got no sleep Saturday as there was a very rowdy group of revellers outside till 3 am - he asked them three times to pipe down, and management did nothing. I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: rooms close to the restaurant not good for early sleepers on weekends - entertainment on the patio t...
1  Thank Deb S
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My family and friends selected this hotel because it was so close to 1000 island and casino. The staff were wonderful housekeeper breakfast attendant and front desk who serviced our rooms friendly. It's was nice stay with hot tub pool squash court and sauna. I will come back soon.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Bhawan76
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Let's cut to the chase here, and get detailed after:

In short, everything is ok in this place, except that the rooms have this unexplainable stench to them. The problem is that it makes someone who worries about cleanliness quite nervous about everything. To be fair, there were no visible signs of lack of cleanliness here.

Externally:

- Appearance: Don't be fooled by the name or some of the nicer pictures, this is just your typical 2-story motel really. It's prettier than the average one though, has an outdoor pool in addition to the indoor one, tennis court, and backs onto a nice slice of nature.

- Location: Place is located right off of highway 401. Which puts it somewhat far from the town centre and if you were planning to take one of the Gananoque Boat Co. cruises, it'd be quite a long walk to get there (less than 10 min drive however).

- Parking: It seems that parking is generally included. However, I'd say there aren't enough spots for a busier period. Although they do collect your plate number, I doubt that they actually bother enforcing parking at all (at least in off-peak periods).

Internally:

- Rooms: Smelly but otherwise seemingly clean (see intro). They do have:
CRT television (not flat panel)
Iron and Ironing table
Suitcase rack and clothes hanging area
coffee maker and tea/coffee
** NOTE: one of the 2 rooms we booked had a clogged toilet (and although it did not start this way, it got clogged immediately after the first use)

- Service: Service is alright. Unfortunately I did not check if they had room service (I suspect the answer is a no).

- Food: The included breakfast is in fact very nice. Keep in mind that they collect breakfast tickets here so depending on your booking method, you may not be eligible for it. They supposedly have a restaurant as well (it's not a chain branch like Perkins or such) but I did not get a chance to take a look. I also spotted a couple of vending machines but nothing worth noting.

Conclusion:

As you can see, the place - overall - is not bad especially if you score a really good deal via one of the brokerage websites like priceline. Unfortunately, I was here only to spend the night and catch a boat cruise in the morning so the smell in the room pretty much ruined every other aspect for me.

Room Tip: 2nd story rooms probably better since the food delivery truck drives and park right across the room...
1  Thank Hossam A
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This hotel is outdated, dirty and tired. We arrived for our reservation as a stopover on our way to Montreal. Our room was on the second floor and after climbing a filthy set of stairs to our level we discovered the hallway lights all burnt out and the hallway dark. There was plastic patio furniture stacked outside of our room entrance and spare light bulbs sitting on it. I notified the front desk and they said someone would take care of it. No one did while we were there. The room itself was dusty and dirty. You could hear every person talking outside below our room and traffic noises all night long. As my husband lay in bed he had two bugs crawl on him! These were not bed bugs thank goodness. The bed was as hard as a rock. We had a window in our bathroom with a sheer curtain that did not offer any privacy. In the morning we went for the Full Hot Breakfast which according to the hotel website includes hot meat, eggs etc only to be told that they only offer hot meat when they have a large group at the hotel. Overall this stay was disgusting and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We know better for next time.

• Stayed: May 2013