“Very unique hotel”

Country Squire Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Gananoque
“Very unique hotel”
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Wow! What an enjoyable stay. We ride our motorcycle all around Ontario and with the Best Western app. It is easy to book on line from day to day. This long week-end we ended up here not knowing what we would get. We arrived around 6 ish. Yes check in is slow until the lady with the nice gold jewelry arrived on the spot, things just started moving at lightning speed. She must be the owner? Well she was great. This hotel has an indoor and out door pool plus two squash courts. We used the outdoor pool it is small but features a lot of patio furniture has a vending machine which was out of order and a waterfall which does not work yet. Our room was excellent it even had an enclosed porch how great is that it overlooked a court yard. The TV is old but the grounds and pool are so enjoyable that it does not really matter. Wish we stayed longer. It is clean And reading some of the reviews I hope the current owners keep up the good work. More signage for where the breakfast is, is needed as the poor waitress at the attached restaurant we were at had to tell at lease four different groups that this was not the hotel breakfast area. We did the same but decided to forget our free breakfast as we were already there. I cannot wait to go back to this unique hotel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Hotdogbikers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Hungarian first
ontario
Reviewed July 28, 2012

After a very stressful week, we decided to head to the area to do some touring at Boldt Castle and the surrounding area. Here is my review.

The hotel: Check in was slow, as owner (I believe) was on the phone forever. Initial impression was poor. Exterior grounds are well-kept and clean. Lots of staff on hand. It seems this is run by a large family who possibly live on the resort, although not 100% sure.

The room: We had an excellent room located at the back of the property, where the gardens and pool are located. The room was stocked with fridge, microwave, excellent-sized room, iron, board, good-sized closet, security bar on sliding door for extra safety, older model tv and 3 dresser drawers. Patio chairs are on each of the porches. Many of our neighbours sat out on their porch at night and chatted.

The grounds: Very park-like and surprising. The hotel is a bit of a maze but once you get the hang of navigating through gardens and the corridors, you are fine. New carpets, well-kept.

The buffet breakfast: I am used to buffet breakfasts at budget hotels as we are budget travellers usually. This one was lower than typical compared to other chains and their buffet breakfast in the price range. Offered was: Coffee/juice/water. Fresh cut up watermelon and melon. Lots of yoghurt. Eggs (no way those are fresh cracked eggs...taste like a mix to me!), terribly salty and over-cooked sausages, small assortment of muffins and the waffle station. I stuck to yoghurt as the rest was simply inedible to me. I did prepare a waffle for my child and there were two employees standing around, observing the diners. I had to direct one of the employees to refill the batter and clean the station. It was very dirty, with the cup that you pour the batter with sitting in a bowl of batter, and batter was all around the area. There were also drips and stains on the banquet chairs that you don't see, and I got a nice surprise on my white pants when I sat on the chairs. I would recommend switching to plastic so they can easily be wiped, or covering the banquet chairs with plastic.

The spa-this was truly the pearl of this place to me. EXCELLENT services and highly professional. Would highly recommend booking a load of treatments. Had the massage and facial-both wonderful, relaxing and well-executed.

The pools: Outside is a small chlorine pool-great for kids. The waterfall is not working yet,, but you don't notice too much. There is a vending machine next to the pool (bonus points for that!) and soft music played. Lots of lounge chairs.

Indoor pool closes specific mornings for rented out aquafit classes-kinda disappointing there. However, try to work around it and you don't notice. The indoor pool is saltwater and I would recommend drapes on the lower half of the windows. Not everyone wants to swim laps with diners gawking at them all night like I experienced (the patio overlooks the pool). A bit uncomfortable. Pool was very nice and we enjoyed it. Clean facilities. No towels provided but 2 were in room-not sufficient for a family of four (as an FYI to housekeeping).

Staff in general were professional and pleasant, and we ran into everyone...always a staff member around to help or doing something. A very good sign that the family running this facility cares about the property very much.

****Now here is the asterisk on this review: Pet owners, please treat your pets prior to coming. Our dog did not have fleas and we noticed he picked up about 3-4 on his undercarriage while staying at the hotel. This could have been in the grass, or in the carpet, we understand that. However, our pet was flea-free and treated however, these little buggers seemed to find a home on him. We discovered this after checkout and spent our evening into the wee hours of the morning taking all precautions including treating our car, the dog, our luggage, and washing all laundry. This was highly annoying and he could have picked them up even off another dog at the resort, however, be wary and inspect your pet!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back that overlook the outdoor pool (one level) are the best.
3 Thank townandcountrygirl
Port Perry, Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We were a large group spending the weekend and we were greated by friendly, helpful staff.
Rooms were clean and comfortable and we were within walking distance to outdoor pool.
Included breakfast was wonderful too.
Would stay here again as rates were great for our group.

Room Tip: We had ground room with patio and was great for going back and forth to the pool with the kids.
2 Thank Jayne K
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2012

What's so nice about this hotel is that most rooms are located on the main level so easy in/out with luggage and from the parking lot. The grounds - WOW! We walked around the hotel quite a few times and enjoyed the pond, waterfalls, the pic nic tables, the outdoor tennis court (the hotel front desk has the rackets). There's a fabulous outdoor pool and indoor pool / hot tub as well. The restaurant was great and we hung out mostly on the patio to enjoy as much as the sunshine and great weather as much as possible. There's also a spa on-site! Our room was great and had French doors that opened up to the inner courtyard. Had a great sleep! The room was very clean and tidy and the mini-fridge came in very handy. This hotel has so many areas to discover and I don't think we even saw it all! The complimentary breakfast was great - this is a real breakfast with scrambled eggs and sausage. What I liked was the healthier option of yogurt and fruits. The breakfast room is very spacious and bright. The staff were helpful and knew so much of the area. They were answering all types of questions from guests everytime we saw them. We didn't realize how much this hotel had to offer. Gananoque has changed a bit since we last visited. The waterfront looks great with ample parking. Gananoque Boat Tours was a treat just as it was the last time. The waterfront core is really nice with areas to walk, shop and dine. The 1000 Islands is so majestic and breath taking. Millionaire's Row is awesome! Had a great time at the Casino too which is by the hotel. Wish we stayed another night. The Best Western has a lot of packages as well. I think we'll do the spa and or Casino package the next time we return! What a great get-away for a night or 2! A mini-vacation that really hit the spot! Thank-you to the hotel and the town of Gananoque!

Room Tip: We liked the room in the main building. Every room seems to have its' own porch or balcony. Th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravellingSpirit2000
Markham, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This was the first time me and my family went to this hotel and by the looks of it, it was pretty good considering the friendly staff and the nearby Gananoque 1000 island boat service down the street my family and I had lot's fun. and they serve nice breakfast too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Shahbaz S
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We were so surprised when we opened our ground floor room to find updated linens and decor, air conditioning, good sized bathroom, and small frig and microwave for our conveninces. We were thrilled since we had drinks we wanted to chill, and something to reheat for a snack. The grounds are spectacular and unexpected. Atleast 10 acreas surround the one story large motel, overlooking a kidney shaped outdoor pool, tennis court and landscaped gardens. For those of you who like warm water swimming, try the Olympic sized warm water pool and jacuzzi. Or you can workout or play squash. there is s a restaurant attached to the hotel, with very good pub grub. For breakfast there is a separate dining area to which you can make your own waffles, have hot eggs and or sausages. Plenty of other items, with the best darned coffee ever. It was really really great. Oh we only drove 2 miles to the small but fun Casino. Of course you haven't lived until you take the cruise to Heart Island. Just google it and you will be thrown off your chair. The boat leaves about 1 mile from the hotel to take you on a 1 1/2 hour tour of the 1000 islands to finally reach the Heart Island. There you will tour for 2 hours and return by boat to Gananoque. We are going back to BW and we might just take that boat ride again, and picnic on Heart Island. You will thank me for sending you there.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are on the ground, where you can park right in front. If you want to face the pool...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank snowshoesnotallowed
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We have used this hotel as the base for our family reunion every other year for over 10 years now. We started using this hotel because of it's great location, and awesome facilities (indoor & outdoor pool, spa, trampoline, etc.) It WAS a great hotel.

Over the years we have seen the hotel deteriorate. The trampoline has been removed and replaced with a pointless waterfountain. The rooms were getting old & very musty. When we were there 2 years ago we were excited to hear that the hotel was investing in finally updating the rooms, and they did a good job on the upgrades (for those rooms that are complete).

Unfortunately the hotel's rates have gone up a ridiculous amount over the past 2 years, and not even the renovated rooms or the great restaurant (new name & menu) can make up for the increased rates.

I was also shocked by the hotel's lack of willingness to work with us. As I mentioned this is a bi-annual event, with over 70 people (30+ rooms). Not only did the hotel not give us a discount on the published rate, but they charged our group more! Some of our group was able to obtain rooms at a better rate by booking through the hotels website on line directly. Not a great way to convince us to host our reunion there again.

I personally experienced one of the rudest hotel front desk staff I have ever encountered anywhere. I booked a 3 bedroom apartment at the hotel for my elderly parents, my sister & her family of 4, and my husband & I. When I spoke with reservations I had mentioned that I wasn't sure exactly how many adults/children would be in the room. She marked the reservation for 2 adults & 2 children and told me we could update this on arrival. The front desk clerk went so far as to accuse us of trying to sneak in extra people, when my mother had told them at check in that there would be 6 adults & 2 children. This same clerk called the next morning insisting that I come down to SHOW her my credit card so she could be certain it was valid. Everytime I stopped by the front desk she would roll her eyes, or give me that "oh it's you" attitude.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Country Squire Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Yes, the new owners have been renovating and have done lots of upgrades to the hotel in last two years. The trampoline was removed over 6 years ago. We appreciate the business that we get from all the family reunions. Your family had blocked 30 rooms, but only 11 rooms were reserved by your family members and the rest were released back to the inventory to resell to other guests. Our rates are very comparative with other hotels in Gananoque for the aminities that we provide. we do understand that you booked the penthouse through Best Western website, and booked only for 2 adults and 2 children. In this kind of situation i would suggest booking with the hotel directly so we can price it accordingly and we can offer suggestions for the booking. When your parents arrived they informed us that there will be 6 adults and 2 children we advised them that there will be extra charge for the extra people in the room and without any hesitation they were given the keys to the room and were asked when your daughter arrives please ask her to come to the front desk and sign in. Until next morning no one came to the front desk and signed in for your room, at that time the guest services agent tried to take the preauthorization on your credit card number that was provided on your file at the time of booking, unfortunately it was declined. This is when the Front Desk Agent called you to confirm the credit card number, thinking just in case they have the wrong number. After confirming the number with you the credit card still declined.
At this point you offered to come to the front desk with another card. According to hotel policy we take preauthorization on the credit card when the guest checks into the room, but in your case we waited until next morning.
All the staff members were more than willing to work with your group, including the price of the hospitality room was reduced to half when your group member came to the front desk and said that all of you share the cost of the room, since there were not enogh people to share the cost this year.

I am at the property 24 hours and available to look after my guests day or night, during your stay if you had felt that your group was not looked after well and any of staff member was being rude or was dealing in unprofessional manner I request to all of my guests to contact me right away and I would gladly address your concerns with staff members. Our goal is to exceed in customer service and make every guests stay a great experience and every family reunion a life long memory.
Please feel free to contact me at the hotel and I will gladly address your concerns.

Travelers are raving about these Gananoque hotels