“Nice view”

Watermark Restaurant at The Gananoque Inn
Ranked #9 of 51 Restaurants in Gananoque
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Using local ingredients where ever possible our talented chef creates regionally-inspired seasonal menus for Watermark Restaurant. We believe in using quality ingredients including fresh herbs harvested daily from our on-site garden. Watermark Restaurant also features international vintages and a large selection of Ontario VQA Wines from Prince Edward County and the Niagara District. In addition, the restaurant's waterfront terrace boasts one of the best views in the 1000 Islands region, making it the ideal place to enjoy expertly prepared fare.
“Nice view”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband and I had dinner on the deck. Great view and sunshine. Our waitress was Very attentive and extremely pleasant. As far as the meal, I had an open face steak sandwich which was to be medium. Over done and crispy. It was very thin so medium would be waving over the coals. I did receive a free dessert for compensation of my meal. My husband had fried haddock which was ok. This would not be my choice the next time in gananoque.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Nursemate001

Kingston, Canada
“Good Restaurant with lovely view”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Every 3 or 4 months my friends and I go from Kingston to Gananoque to the 1000 island playhouse for a performance. Before attending the play, we always go for a nice meal. This day was no exception.It started off on the wrong foot as we had reserved but they could not find our reservation, but the lady straight away said that it would not be a problem. We sat inside to take full advantage of the AC. It was warm outside.
We were asked if we wanted drinks and we had one. We were given the menu. It is a one page menu which does not surprise me given the time of the year when you can do something really spectacular when you specialize. We advised our waitress that we were attending the play which was 2 hours later. She immediately said that it is good that we told her since the kitchen is a little slow. I did not understand that statement until later.
We were served our drinks and then about 20 mins later bread (a Vienna Loaf) was placed on the table (something like East Side Mario does). After 40 mins, we asked if we can have some more bread which they obliged. If was 50 mins later that we got our meal. I regret not taking a picture as the presentation was really good. The chef would not have been chopped from my perspective.Three of us had the AAA Beef Sirloin ($22) and my other friend had the salmon. It was great.
With 20 mins until show time, we asked for two bills. On my bill I was surprised to find that the I was charged for the two Vienna Loaf's (that is how I know what the bread was called). They charged me $3 each loaf. I immediately addressed the issue with the waitress (not for the $6 but for the principle of the issue). In Europe I never eat bread when it is placed on the table or if I do, I ask them how much is it going to be. In Canada, we expect this sort of "extra" service (since it takes nearly an hour to serve the patrons), as a nice gesture...until you get the bill.
Would I go back? No. The food was good but the service was slow and they nickle and dime you for little things.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Pierre_Kingston
Ottawa, Canada
“Charming restaurant”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

The only restaurant near the water, the view is quite nice. The food was allright and the staff helpful.

Visited July 2014
Connecticut
“Great Location, Horrible Management”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

This earned two stars only because of the spectacular setting; otherwise it would struggle to rate a single star. Let's start off by saying that the server was very pleasant and apologetic of the terrible job that the kitchen staff was doing. 7 PM reservation; 3 course fixed price meal with maybe a choice of 5 appetizers and 4 entrees (same menu everyday); restaurant was about one-third full; time to order and receive appetizer and entree: a full two hours. We never received dessert; the reason: they ran out, but offered us a homemade ice cream sandwich.....Really? An ice cream sandwich? How do you doll that up to justify $7C? We passed and insisted they adjust our bill; which they finally did. The rest of the meal was not delivered as described and was mediocre at best. We surmise that the chef either quit during dinner service or was abducted by aliens, as no kitchen could be so inept and slow without a spectacular excuse. We weren't the only customers complaining, either. Two tables over, the woman ordered the chowder only to be informed a full hour later that the kitchen had ran out of chowder. I was able to get the chowder and by the time it arrived, it had completely skimmed over from sitting so long while someone put a salad together for my wife. The poor woman who was running the front that evening was catching it from all sides and could only offer lame excuses such as "the pub side of the hotel was really busy tonight and they ran out of some things on the menu". First, the pub offers a completely different menu, so why does the fact that they were busy impact the quantity of food offerings on the restaurant side? Second, it was mid-July, a beautiful night, and the inn is located right on the water in a resort town.....They were somehow surprised that they might be busy????? And it really was only the pub that was busy, not the restaurant; like I stated before, it was not more than one-third full. Management at this inn is absolutely asleep at the switch and the servers are forced to deal with the wrath of the clientele. Would not return, and that is a real shame, as the Watermark is the only restaurant in town that sits directly on the water and it should be packed every single night of the summer season.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank LochnessConnecticut
Lake Bluff, Illinois
“Horrible management, great deck”
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

We first tried to eat here on Monday evening, but they were busy "and we only have 2 servers working tonight, it may take a long time for you to get served" (this on July 21st, at the height of the tourist season -- only 2 servers? go figure) so we went somewhere else. Oh well, at least they were honest.

That should have been an omen to stay away. However, the deck looked like a delightful place to eat, so we came back tonight, on Tuesday. We stopped by to make a reservation. The menu posted outside the front door indicated they had lamb. Both my friend (two couples were celebrating his birthday) and I love lamb chops, so that seemed perfect. I went to the front desk of the hotel (the restaurant wasn't open yet) to make a reservation. I asked "Do you have the lamb tonight?" The answer was "Yes, it is on our menu". Based on that clarification, I made a reservation for 4 people.

When we arrived, we were seated promptly, but the menus we were given didn't have the lamb listed -- in fact, it was a $35 fixed price menu with only 3 options -- a fish, a 6 oz sirloin and a chicken and pasta dish. Our server said that sometimes they use this "special" menu, and even tho the menu outside the door listed lamb, there was no lamb available tonight. She could not explain how I was assured that lamb would be available when I made the reservation, except to say ". . .I'm sorry, it was a mistake." The deck was inviting enough that we decided to stay. Two of us had the salad, which both liked, and two of us had the clam chowder. The clam chowder had a good flavor, but was light on the clams. Both of the women had the fish, a pickerel,which they both liked. The two men had the 6oz sirloin. I ordered mine VERY rare, with a blue center. It came out rare to medium rare. My friend ordered his medium rare and it came out medium. The server asked us if we wanted replacements, but they were sort of close to what we had ordered and the women had already been served, so rather than wait, we elected to keep what we had been served. The veggies were tasty and not overcooked, the sauce was quite good, but both of our steaks were tough.

The wine list was very limited -- only 6 or 7 reds and 6 or 7 whites. My wife enjoys a buttery, somewhat Oakey Chardonnay. Their ONLY Chardonnay was un-oaked! I had a glass of Liberty School Cabernet (their ONLY cab) for $12. It is a wine I have in my own cellar and it tasted as it should. However, I usually pay around $12 or less for a bottle at retail, that much for a single glass is certainly on the high side. However, when having steak, a cab is the most appropriate wine.

The view was great, some of the food was quite good, some fair at best. We were exceptionally disappointed that we were lead to believe, by both the menu posted by the front door and the assurances when I made the reservation, that we would have lamb, yet we ended up with two tough 6 oz sirloins not cooked as ordered. That, coupled with the obvious "we don't want you" from the previous evening, we will never be back. $55/person was way too much for what we got.

Visited July 2014