“4 day experience”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Gananoque
Thornbury, Canada
“4 day experience”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Quite disappointed. Seven in family, 3 rooms rented. Not very clean, step back into the 70's. Took tennis equipment and courts were terrible. Had to use town courts. No volley ball net as advertised. One meal in restaurant was enough. All other meals in Rockport and nearby were very good. Beautiful area. Golfed twice on their expensive course and were hassled by the marshal both times. I was told that members come first and they must keep them happy.
A one time experience for sure.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank stevensh63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have just returned from a 4 day stay at the Glenn House Resort and we had a great experience. We stayed in the Hickory Hill building with a view of the water which was gorgeous.
The room was very clean, the bedding was so comfortable and was quite new. Nice fluffy pillows, and comforters. The staff is friendly and you constantly see people keeping up the place whether it be cleaning rooms or tending the grounds.
We docked our boat on the property for easy access right from our room.
It is an older establishment, so yes some things need updating, but as long as you don't expect a 5 star experience, I think you will be happy here. Good value for the money we spent. We did have dinner at their smaller restaurant, Smuggler's Lounge. The portions were huge and the food was really good and reasonably priced.
My husband and son were very impressed with the golf course as well. They thought it was beautiful.
We will definitely be returning to this resort next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hickory Hill building, it was very nice and had a great view of the water.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Brian B
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 4, 2013

GPS does not get you there. Watch for signs. Its older, but clean. The food in the dining room is adequate. Lovely view from out table. The staff is friendly. Again, nice water view of the lake from our room. Great bakery in town - Panache. Best savory tarts in town! Casino near by. I'm not the "out doorsy" type. I am a Disney (Fort Wilderness) camping experience kind of girl, but my boyfriend (who grew up in rural Pennsylvania), just fell in love with the Glen House. It was fine to stop for the night, with him, but it is too rural for me. I would've gone stir crazy if it had rained on our trip. The tv/cable reception were not the best. Wifi was a bonus. I don't think I'd spend more than a night there unless I was with others for an event.

Room Tip: We were surprised to find a mini-fridge in our room. Questions about that and the tv (if that is imp...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank H H
canada
Reviewed August 2, 2013

If you are looking for dirty, unsafe, old place in terrible need of a decorator, then you have found it. We booked a room on-line only to arrive to a musty smelling, dirty room. We asked if they had anything else and were offered a "better" room for more money which we agreed to take because the first room was not fit for an animal. The rooms are so dark, even with all of the lights on, there is not enough light. So much so, that on the first morning, now with daylight, I noticed something strange in a corner of the room. MUSHROOMS!! The room was so damp, there were actual mushrooms growing in the carpet. The room did smell when we first arrived but both rooms we viewed smelled so we thought it was normal. After we brought it to their attention, they offered to move us to another room which had the same dark, dated finishes and old. This room had a renovated bathroom, which was nice. We were told this was their "best" room. It was on the second floor and very warm all the time. So warm that the A/C had to be kept on continuously. This normally would not be a problem but it is right next to the bed, noisy and if you don't like to have a constant breeze on you, it becomes a problem. All in all, I would say that the staff was friendly as long as you didn't complain. When I had to complain about the mushrooms, they became uncomfortably silent and serious. I should mention that I could not launch my boat on the night we arrived because of a function at the hotel so I parked it in their "secure" parking area across the street. The person at the desk told me it would be safe. The next day, I realized someone had siphoned at least $250 worth of gas from my boat. When I asked about the security in the parking lot, you guessed it....they got silent. No more smiles. Almost as if they were getting ready to argue with you. They claimed: this was their first complaint over many years. Hmmmm. The 1000 Islands area is very beautiful and it was great to experience it. I will return to the 1000 Islands but I will not stay here.

4 Thank scrap_8

Travelers are raving about these Gananoque hotels

Ottawa
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have stayed at the Glen House Resort 4 times. Once on a work retreat which was great. Once on a golf getaway which was outstanding. Once on a weekend getaway which was very enjoyable. And this last time at the start of a family vacation. Rooms are what you pay for. Service is varied from outstanding to average. Games area and common rooms are great. Meals are particularly good. The golf course across the highway, Smugglers Glen is outstanding. Went to Gananoque to see the theater. Overall the resort experience has been very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bob8300
toronto
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We had a very enjoyable stay at the Glen House Resort which is conveniently located 7 km. east of Gananoque. Our room was lovely and from our terrace we had a wonderful view of the St. Lawrence River. The grounds are nicely landscaped with lots of beautiful flowers and shade trees. The pool area is small but adequate. Staff were friendly and efficient. We did not reserve ahead of time and so a room wasn't ready when we arrived. However, the housekeeping staff gave the room assigned to us priority so we did not have to wait long to move into our room.

The dining room features reasonably priced meals but is definitely not fancy. It does afford a view of the river.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view.
1 Thank torontothoughts
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Two couples with the golf package and supposedly the deluxe king rooms overlooking the water. The view was fabulous from our second floor rooms and the wi-fi was super fast but these rooms are in dire need of updating and more diligent cleaning. The TV was very old, lots of static, and the furnishings and decor very dated. The worst thing however was the mattress, which was like a piece of plywood. Neither my husband nor I slept well and the next morning my back started stiffening to the point where I had to forfeit my second round of golf. We did not stay the second night and the person who checked us out was oblivious to our issue and just shrugged. The bathroom, which was very small, showed signs (hair) of previous occupants, and had we been staying the second night, I would have said something. Breakfast and service were good, and resort in general very pretty, which is why I am giving 3 stars, not 2.

The golf course, on the other hand, was wonderful and we will play it again, but stay somewhere else. Lunch choices were great and the food very fresh, with excellent service.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room.
2 Thank lynne20866
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gananoque
The Gananoque Inn and Spa
1000 Islands Harbor Hotel
Colonial Resort & Spa
Colonial Resort & Spa
#5 of 11 in Gananoque

Been to Glen House Resort? Share your experiences!