“This hotel met all of our needs. It is very good value and...”

Howard Johnson Inn Gananoque
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Gananoque
Reviewed May 7, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 24, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank makhockey
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I read reviews and I respect the fact that some people appreciate what this motel has on offer, but it's not for me. Stayed here with my teenage son's hockey team during the annual Kingston Kids4Kids hockey tournament (because Kingston hotels were all sold out). I was a little taken aback by the rather casual approach in booking (made me feel like I could not be sure they were recording the fact that I was booking a room), but my reservation was there and they were friendly. It seemed to me the whole experience was that I was staying at a placed that spared EVERY expense. The room was freezing and I had to turn on the electric baseboard heater to start the long process of warming it up...and I only checked in late at night, so it was a chilly experience. The toilet was finicky. The tv and it's remote could not turn off the closed captioning (which was annoying). The location is ok. Overall, it's probably good as a pit stop on a long journey, but not somethingnid use again nor recommend for any trip that required a stay of more than one night.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Doug0nTheRoad
Reviewed March 22, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Allan S
Reviewed February 20, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This hotel was a shock at first. It looked quite rough and not at all what we are used to seeing in motels/hotels we pick from the internet. It sat right on hwy.2 and looked so old fashioned and rundown but we decided to stay since we would only be there one night and we had already paid for it. The lobby was even worse but to be fair it was being renovated and will be okay for next year, The person who checked us in was friendly enough until I asked where we had breakfast (advertised by Expedia as complimentary). He said that there was not restaurant at this time of the year (November - ok it's Ontario and tourists are supposed to stay home after Labour Day). I asked if that meant that we would get a lower rate but he said the room we were getting was usually rented for $149 a night and we were paying around a $100. ( note that we have rented $149 rooms in many places and they were excellent). Well the room was okay and very clean but the bathroom was small and rundown and the heating system was very noisy. However the desk clerk did recommend The Brava restaurant across the road for breakfast and it was excellent. I really can't say I would stay here again in any season especially if they charge $149.

Room Tip: Don't choose this motel.