“Stay Away, Thieves are Employed Here”

Howard Johnson Inn Gananoque
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Gananoque
Reviewed August 15, 2012

At a recent stay, we left our umbrella in our room and didn't realize it until after checking out.
A few hours later we returned to pick it up. The same front desk rep we had dealt with during our entire stay contacted one of the two person room cleaning team who confirmed they had indeed found our umbrella. Problem is she gave it to her associate to 'put away'.

The front desk rep then contacted the second cleaning associate and then returned to inform us that 'no umbrella ever existed.'

This experience has little to do with the loss of a $50 - $70 Umbrella but has everything to do with lying and thievery. We realise every HoJo location is independently owned and that HQ has little control over such matters but they clearly need to establish standards in this regard.

This single experience will prohibit us from ever using any HoJo property again in future.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank John S

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I was a bit worried about what to expect at this hotel given the ultra reasonable room rates, but there is no need to worry! The room was great - clean and spacious with comfortable beds. The washroom was spotless and appeared to be recently renovated. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the continental breakfast was very good.

I recommend the Howard Johnson's if you are looking for good value for dollars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the motel - away from the main street through town.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sue C B
Reviewed August 3, 2012

When we booked the HJ Inn, we didn't expect much about it, since this hotel is a 2-stars hotel. We have been in 2-stars in the past (Super 8 Danbury, Super 8 Milford) so we kinda knew what 2-stars were about.

Overall, we were satisfied with this hotel. Although it is a "get to your room from outside" (with which type we had a bad experience), the room was alright. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The only negative point is the air conditioning, which took a bit long to refresh the room.

I believe everyone could find something they like in the free breakfast (yogourt, cereals, bread, apples, muffins, juice, coffee, tea, and even waffles you make yourself).

The hotel is well located, with 2 grocery stores nearby and a few restaurants around.

If I would return to Gananoque, I would not mind staying at the HJ Inn again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Starfish03
Reviewed June 29, 2012

That is what I've always imagined an American Motel looked. I travel with my parents and my brother's family. My parents and me had a big room and beds.big bathroom and it was clean, so my brother's, but the room smelt awfully bad, so we asked to the reception to change it, and they did it straight away without problems. For Mia (my brother's dog) was great to have some parts around with grass.
The location was very convenient to do the "Thousand Islands cruise"
The breakfast was basic, but fine. They prepare by demand warm waffles.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The guest services at this accommodations was absolutely aweful. Even blamed the lack of preperation and failure to communicate between house keeping staff on me, the guest. The management proved no assistance/compensation for the multiple inconveniences. The Howard Johnson is an excellent company that is being poorly protrayed by this family owned and operated business.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank TammyMcC
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We booked this motel via Hotwire after receiving a great rate ($75/night). The room is average to lower end and the bathroom is nothing special. The complimentary breakfast is also pretty lame. However it does host a decent outdoor pool which was great to use on a warm sunny day.

Overall if you're just looking for somewhere to sleep in Gananoque, the Ho-Jo was worth the price.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I just needed a few hours to sleep in the morning while I got some rest from working overnight. I was given a room and went and opened the door and it was a used room. The bed was not clean or made up. I went back to the front desk and they gave me a clean room right away. The new place was nice and clean. I thought it had a bit of a smoke smell. I was alowed to stay an hour past the check out time without a charge which was nice.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business