“Great atmosphere, great service!”
Review of The Black Horse

The Black Horse
Reserve with OpenTable
The Black Horse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Hookwood
Cuisines: British, Bar, Brew Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

I booked a table for 10 with a high chair. Everything was set up when we arrived. Food was freshly cooked, hot and tasty. Service was friendly and quick. Really good value for such tasty food.

1  Thank Donna D

Reviewed July 17, 2014

We were staying at Hookwood Lodge and this pub/restaurant is just a couple of minutes walk along the road.
The food was very good, and the menu would seem to be able to satisfy most tastes. Prices were in line with most good pub restaurants.
For the beer lovers - they have a selection of real ales.

1  Thank yiayia2jake
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We made a reservation as it was a Saturday and we were lucky to even get a parking space!
We were seated at a nice table overlooking the garden and we given the menus and drinks order was taken promptly.
Our drinks arrived and the waitress took our food order and we waited approx 30 mins for our starters to come but it was well worth the wait. Between the 4 of us we had sticky chicken wings, lamb koftas and garlic mushrooms - all piping hit and delicious.
There was then unfortunately another 30 minute wait until our main courses arrived - again delicious, my salad alone could have fed 2 people.
We'd recommend trying the selection of 6 mini desserts - shot glass style and tastes great.
We'd finished our meal but there was no offer of coffee or further drinks as all the staff seemed too busy clearing up and tidying other tables - we had to approach the bar to ask for the bill and after waiting 10 minutes go back there to pay!

Overall a nice place to eat with good food but the customer service needs tweaking

2  Thank amyflying
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Black horse was recommended by my hotel,hookwood lodge.Made us feel very welcome as we entered.Sat down and I ordered the award winning steak and tanglefoot pie with mash.No wonder it was award winning.The BEST pie I have ever had and I love pies.For desert I had 2 mini puds which was a good idea as I fancied 2 of them.I had Raspberry Cheescake and Chocolate Moose.Chocolate moose was the best but both very tasty.My mother had Steak and she said it was amazing.She didn't think that steak could be that tasty and perfectly cooked.Definitely recommend!!!!

1  Thank agentknight
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We have been here a couple of times this year and this is just what you would expect. The service is OK, the food is OK it is conveniant for us as it is between my house and my parents. Not expensive, nice size portions, shame more of it isn't fresh