“Great way to spend a few hours”

Sierra Pelada Horse Riding School
Reviewed November 25, 2013

On arrival, Liz made us very welcome. She checked out our abilities, none and not a lot, then tailored our ride to suit. It is obvious that Liz just loves what she does and looks after all her animals extremely well. My friend and I had a wonderful ride through the olive groves, the weather was just right and the horses were impeccably behaved. Liz put us both at ease and checked throughout the ride that we were OK. I would highly recommend this as a great way to spend a few hours or longer if you have the time. I will certainly go back when I get the chance.

All reviews
"holiday"
in 11 reviews
"dates"

Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Brilliant few days. Authentic welcome, beautiful scenery, fit horses and a great atmosphere. myself and my girlfriend spent two days and nights at Sierra Palada riding and eating and talking. Liz welcomed us on the first day and asked us our preferences and what we wanted. She tailored the trip around us and we had a great time. Would love to return and meet all of Liz & Johns horses, dogs, cats, pigs, strays and everything else again. I'd highly recommend it for day trippers or people looking for a ranch experience for a few days.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We were looking for a stable with natural horsemanship as the first ever ride for our 4 year old granddaughter. We wanted somewhere that treated their horses with kindness and care where she would experience a horse ride as near to nature as possible.

We were recommended to go to a stable near Granada between Illora and Montefrio, after a few moments of being lost in Illora - the road number we were looking for doesn’t exist until you are 2 kilometer outside Illora.

The person who recommended the stables said that the stables were “natural” and certainly not smart, chic, polished stables like you might find in the UK, but this is the very charm of Sierra Pelada.

On our arrival a group of local children were riding a pony and were having a lot of fun and the atmosphere was very relaxed. Liz greeted us and showed us around the new bar, paddock and stables, where she introduced our granddaughter Teegan to Beetle, the pony she would be riding. Liz has a lovely way with children and Teegan immediately felt at ease as she mounted Beetle. Liz explained that she doesn’t buy and sell horses like other stables, for her, a horse is for life, and Beetle is a testament to that, Liz has had Beetle for 30 years!

The vista from the stable is awesome, Liz explained that you could ride for as long as you wished and every ride would be tailored to each client, a half day lunch picnic ride, a Tapas ride, an all day ride to the beautiful Montefrio, they all sounded inspiring. I only wish I could ride myself.

Liz explained that the horses are cared for in a very natural way and live in a natural environment, the horses are not shod, they never have metal in their mouths, no force is used and the training of the horses is slow and kind. Patience is the key and that was obvious in how Liz led the ride.

I can’t recommend Liz and her wonderful stables enough. If you want an amazing ride on beautiful horses in the inspiring and dramatic landscapes you could ever imagine, look no further.

lizshennan, Owner at Sierra Pelada Horse Riding School, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thanks so much for the lovely review, you clearly paid attention to all our ways!!, hope to see Teegan on a pony again soon. Liz

Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and I were visiting family in Granada and I really wanted to take a trail ride. I am the only rider of the group, but Liz was fantastic at setting up an enjoyable time for all of us (4 total). We took the bus from Granada to Montefrio and Liz picked us up in the city and drove us up to the stables. The horses were in great shape and obviously well cared for - something that is very important to me. We took a lovely 2 hour ride around the olive groves, going up in the hills with great views and Liz providing a lot of entertainment! The horses were clearly well trained and obedient. We all had a fantastic time and highly recommend everyone do this.

1  Thank CO_hiker_11

Thanks for the review it was lovely meeting you all, I hope your return was journey ok? Biscuit the cat would still love to come and live in the US...........so nice to talk to like minded horse lovers. Until next time. Liz

See more reviews
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I went on a trek this morning to the most incredible look-out over Andalucia and can't recommend Sierra Pelada enough. We have ridden a little bit before and this was the most enjoyable experience we've had on horse-back. We rode Luna and Spartan, both were in impeccable condition and made us feel very comfortable and confident. They had great characters and were a joy to ride. We started with 15 minutes in the riding arena so Liz could see what standard we were before tailoring the ride. Liz is an incredibly warm, positive person with clearly a lot of experience with the horses. She made us feel relaxed from the start and shared some great local knowledge on the trek. The trek was mostly over rocky terrain but were were able to pick up some speed on a few occasions, we felt completely safe and loved it!
Can't wait to go back again and will be recommending to anyone visiting Granada.

Thank you so much for the revive Rebecca, it was lovely to meet you both and so please you enjoyed it, hope you found montefrio ok and somewhere to eat? Anyway jump back on that London granada flight soon for even more galloping!