“We loved it!”
Review of Tolantongo Caves

Tolantongo Caves
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I were at Tolantongo earlier this year and loved it. We would like to go back when we have more time We only spend one night there in a cabin. The staff was friendly, they were patient with my broken Spanish, the food was wonderful and the view spectacular.

9  Thank Brad L

Reviewed June 25, 2013

The landscape is magical and there are dozens of pools of all shapes and sizes that have been built to cascade down the mountain. You can get to the pools just outside your cabin door. The view from the poos is amazing - down the length of the valley. It feels as if you have found eden.

We went with a large group - renting cabins at the hotel site. We brougth food and a grill, but several from our party ate at the restaurant and said it was tasty and clean. The rooms were clean and spacious - the beds were hard and I would suggest bringing your own sheets and pillows, but I always do as we travel throughout Mexico. (2 queen size beds per cabin, plus a single bed that can be used as couch or bed) Each cabin we used had a large outdoor porch.

You can also hike to more remote pools in the woods, along cliffs - each is a special discovery - the temperature varies - though it is never extreme. Turquoise, jade, coral - the colors of this place is amazing. The paths are clearly marked, easy hiking.

I was told that Tolantongo means "Womb of the World" and you really do get that sense. There are two main caves the first is large with a gush at least three feet wide - amazing massage. The second cave is much smaller and not for the faint of heart...the sides are coated with a millennia of minerals and it does feel like you have entered the womb. The air becomes very hot and humid, it is dark, the flashlight from the guide/guard is all the light there is. The walk is through pools whose bottoms are covered with small boulders...it is more climbing than walking...I made it to where the passage became under 3 ft and turned back...

I've been told only go during week days - the weekend are incredibly crowded and noisy.

19  Thank SeekLearnShare
Reviewed June 23, 2013

On December 2012, I traveled to Mexico to re-discover my country of origin. I did not have a set plan, I was following signs and symbols for guidance.
For starts, I celebrated my birthday on 12/12/12. Nice sequence, right? So, I decide, no to visit the common places, stay away from visiting the family, and just follow my intuition: like a bird.
In Mexico City, a friend told me about the Grutas de Tolantongo, translated like: TOLANTONGO CAVES, in the State of Hidalgo.
The idea appealed me for diverse reasons: I love thermal waters, I love to discover new places, Hidalgo is one of the few states of my native Mexico I never visited before. So, there I went.
From Mexico City to the site is a two-hour trip. I took a bus; great opportunity to talk with people. Later, an hour into the trip, at a stop, a woman entered the bus carrying a canasta hanging from her arm, balancing precariously inside the bus in motion. She offered PASTES.
I never hear about pastes, so I observed the passenger sitting next to me when he ordered two pastes. I ordered two too: filled with green and red mole. Pastes are delicious local empanadas or canapés heritage of the English’s mineral exploitation in the area.
We arrived to Ixmiquilpan, Hidalgo, the first leg of the trip. The second and final leg was a trip in a van to the Caves. To take the van, I had to cross a local street market, it was a treat for the senses: fruits, vegetables, voices of vendors calling: It was Christmas Eve.
When I arrived to the van's depot, I was the only passenger, the driver waited for a few more passengers to make the trip worth the use of gas and labor. After the vehicle was half full, we departed.
Half the trip was on a regular paved highway; the other half, was a stiff descend on a dirt road: down, down, three kilometers down, leaving a thick cloud of dust on the back, until we practically "hit bottom," to the Caves' administration entrance.
Tolantongo Caves is a communal Otomi's own business. Otomi or Hñähñü is one of around 65 indigene groups existing in Mexico.
Tolantongo is a gully of the Mezquital Valley, a 60 kilometers formation of valleys and flat lands in central Mexico. Tolantongo is a nahuatl word that means "a place where you feel warm."
I was assigned cabin # 24, next to the running pools. I could hear families, mainly of locals or neighboring states camping on the beach, playing music, having a Holly Night’s celebration. The water in my room was abundant and clean. The bed was cozy and clean. The room was great without a TV. I did not miss the Internet.
The next day, Christmas, I wake up rested. I dress up in light clothes and went to one of the two restaurants. I had an Otomi breakfast: Scrambled eggs inside a cactus leaf with goat cheese on top, a freshly squeezed orange juice and coffee. The attention is efficient and friendly.
Feeling great with a restful night of sleep, a nutritious breakfast, and a sunny disposition, I went to swing, visit the caves and the grotto. Playing in water produces hunger. I went for a late lunch: Enchiladas Hidalguenses accompanied with a litter of fresh pulque.
With all the activity and the great meal, I went to take a nap. I wake up restored an hour later.
I decided to go to: La Gloria. It is part of the place, but four kilometers away. I hiked there.
It is a Glory. The place has more cabins and several little hot pools skillfully build on the wall of the mountains overlooking the walls of the opposite mountains. The time passed slowly submerged in the pools, the mind rested, and a re-encounter with my deeper ability to enjoy made me realize that life is good and great part of it depends of self-care and attitude.
Close to down, I decided to take the zip-line, a four kilometers line uniting the whole place through the air, me that have phobia to heights I could see passing under my feet the Tolantongo Caves without fear.
A great adventure for a 61 years old grandmother of five.

41  Thank Laura G
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is truly a magical place. We were swept away by the beauty, serenity and unusual landscape it has to offer. Spend at least two to three days to explore both the land and the many water features. To see more: http://honeysharp.com/water-light/

5  Thank sharp_honey
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Located in the state of Hidalgo. This place is truly magnificent !
We stayed in the hotel attached to the grutas , but took the cabañas located higher up. These are closer to the in

6  Thank Theresa d