“Simple bungalows on lovely island”

and 1 more site!
Koh Mook Rubber Tree Bungalows
Ranked #10 of 14 Specialty Lodging in Ko Muk
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The bungalows are just 2 minutes away from the beach, nestled behind the big resort. The room has a good size, very comfortable bed. But overall it's quiet simple and basic. There is no where to hang or store your clothes, which is a bit of an issue because of the humidity. AC works fine, bathroom is basic too. The price they ask for in peak season is way too much.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Koh Mook Rubber Tree Bungalows

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stayed at Koh Mook Rubber Tree Bungalows same time last year - so no need to report general details. Nothing much has changed - except that the Dive Bar, which was next door, has moved onto the beach and the site is now being used by Rubber Tree for evening BBQs (seemed reasonably busy too). This time we opted for the Fan Bungalow (800 Baht per night - about £16). The room was a good size with well maintained mosquito netting on the windows and a large (although initially musty-smelling) heavy cotton net over the bed. No furniture, just a fan. The bathroom was a case of mix-and-match.....Western-style toilet which required flushing asian-style (i.e a small basin & a bucket of water filled from a tap on the wall) plus a shower. There was also a mirror, but no sink (nor any sign that there had ever been one)....most bizarre. Evidence of night life about in the bathroom, so glad that we had a travel clothesline with us which we could hook onto the bathroom door (no means to shut it otherwise) and attach it to a rucksack. Overall the room could best be described as "functional" - but it did the job and we slept every bit as well here as we had done in the Concrete bungalow with air con last year.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We Stayed for two days at Rubber Tree, which was unforgettable for all the wrong reasons. We stayed in a fan room which resembled something of a prisons cell, there was a resident lizard in the bathroom which was huge! (not a geko!) whenever my girlfriend wanted to use the toilet she would have to wake me up on a night, to see if it was there or not! The bathroom door dident close so this made things even worse on a night as she thought the lizard would come into the room..
In the bathroom there was no sink, just a bucket which your supposed to throw your excrement stained toilet paper into as you are not to throw toilet paper down as it blocks...
I mean come on how much would it cost to put a sink in there!?
The breakfast was included but standard two slices of toast, eggs etc
Koh Muk in general was a nice island but not much to do, the island is more of a "grab a book and sit on the beach all day" sort of place but the island is beautiful all the same.
Book at Charlies Beach if you plan to visit Koh Muk the Bungalows are alot more modern and have more facility's.

Room Tip: Pick a Bungalow at Charlies Beach and avoid here.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We stayed there just a couple of days but we really enjoyed this quiet place. Our bungalow was spacious and clear. The owner Bang is very friendly. He organized a barbecue dinner for all his guests. We spent a very nice evening with them and the food prepared by one of his friend was excellent. There is a beautiful beach just 5 minutes walking from the hotel . If you are there I really advice you to make the boat trip to the Emerald Cave.
The closest opened restaurant was "Hill Top restaurant" located at the beginning of the road. The owner talks a lot but she is a really really good cook. She is a "wok magician".

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Great, clean bungalow for a very reasonable price (1500 bhat). However, the hot water did not really work. The switch kept tripping and you have to have someone stand outside the bathroom to keep turning the power switch back on so your shower doesn't go cold.
The staff don't speak a bit of English, so this was a challenge.
The food is terrible at this hotel--have the free breakfast and go elsewhere for lunch and dinner!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Ko Muk itself is quite a hidden treasure, so there isn't too much choice when it comes to guesthouses. Some of the resorts are quite high in price, so we decided to stay off the beach in the Rubber Tree Bungalows in question.

And yes, it was a good decisison!

Though you have to walk a short distance to the (amazing!) beach, these bungalows are recommendable. The owners speak good English and are always good for a joke; plus, they raise the cutests cats on the island. The walkways to the bungalows are flanked by upside-down beer bottles, but still the architecture of the site is quite pleasant. The restaurant offers good food with good breakfast deals. Also, there is an internet café on site.
The bungalows are basic, but well furnished with modern interior and cozy beds. Mosquito nets are present.
If it wasn't for the cold-only showers and the missing sink (it really seems as if they just forgot it when furnishing the bungalows, as the rest is just fine), I'd rate it as excellent.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Im not one to write too many negative reviews, but this is all about passing on helpful information to all my fellow travelers, which I follow as well! I will start off by saying, there is not alot of choices of places to stay on this island. Rubber Tree bungalows had mixed reviews, but Im open minded! A backpacker not needing all the comforts in the world, just a nice, clean bungalow with some great atmosphere.
I did receive one of the "basic" bungalows, all the "nicer" ones were taken. So maybe others had the opportunity to stay in a better room?
My bungalow was basically a concrete room, not a rubber tree bungalow, ha!
It was a concrete room with a bed, kinda sketchy actually. It had the charm of a prison cell, not that Ive ever been in one! So this was my closest encounter.
My luxury bathroom did not even have a sink, but a bucket...come on, not even a sink! I can deal with with cold water shower, and its funny it had a mirror, but no sink!
The bathroom was attached, with a tin roof, but with a large open space with lots of room for critters of all sizes. Now, Ive had my share of critters, Im a backpacker :) But this bathroom did not have a door that closed, so my rockin room allowed any of those critters to welcome themselves to my room at any time. I heard a large creature one night scurrying along the roof and then " THUD" yes, the critter fell on to the floor of my bathroom , and soon to be in my bedroom. I tried to use some of my own rope to tie up the door to try to keep him in the bathroom, but no sleep for me .
I talked to the very nice man who was running the place, he stated " Oh, thats just a large lizard, I have one in my place too, he wont bother you" I asked to have my bathroom door fixed at least, he said he would let the owner now and put it on the to do list..
There was no other rooms to move to, so I stayed,,,,away as long as I could!
The staff was nice and helpful, the food was good, I only had breakfast there though.
I think there are better places to stay if you look around a little more, or can afford to stay at one of the much nicer resorts on the other side of the island, there are several!
I liked this quiet island, but this place was a miss.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo