“Nice Setting, Sad Rooms”
Review of Arlina's Bungalows

Arlina's Bungalows
Beijing, China
“Nice Setting, Sad Rooms”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

There's not much choice in Toya Bungkah. The Ayu, just a few meters away from Arlina's, is the only nice place. But it is not only expensive, it's apparently mismanaged. (Someone in the village told me that the land--right on the lake--had been acquired by a person from Surabaya through corrupt means.) The grounds of the Ayu are huge, but it seemed abandoned when I wandered in around 8 p.m.

Arlina's offers small, poorly maintained rooms, but at least it's cheap: IDR 300,000/night (USD 31) for the three of us, who squeezed into the two single beds. Service was friendly, and your stay includes a delicious welcome drink. Decor next to the bathtub was a wierd stone grotto theme. The designers may want you to think that you are at a natural hot spring. But my impression was that of bathing in a dark green cave.

The manager will try to sell you guiding services. This seems to be the way they make money. For the so-called long Mt. Batur route, which takes around four hours, the price listed in their office is USD 85/person. He quickly offered a guide ("including eggs cooked on the volcano and bananas" for a meal) for all three of us for IDR 600,000. If time allows, you could probably do better by finding a guide elsewhere. We were offered guiding services by someone digging a ditch nearby.

On the plus side, Arlina's has three new pools: one cold and two. . . warmish. We soaked in a warm pool on the cool, rainy evening we were there.

Dinner there was adequate. We had the locally raised tilapia (small, but good) and chicken. Try the tomato jaffle. Toya Bunkah is surrounded by tomato fields.

This is a beautiful area. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate when we were there so we didn't hike Mt. Batur. If you expect to hike, avoid the rainy season.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Indonesian first
Stephanskirchen, Germany
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Good staff, friendly, like to feel at home................

We`ve spend 3 nights there, amazing stuff, good food, room very clean, and enjoy to stay in the new termal hot springs with 42 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A good choise is the conection to go to Volcan Batur and Agung.............enjoy a lot at this beautiful area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rene6768
Neukirchen am Grossvenediger, Austria
Reviewed October 7, 2012

we stay first in Vulcano2 1 night and than we find Arlinas with the 3 Hotsprings Pools GREAT
We find friends, it was 3 Nights realy nice good kitchen, nice bungalows
friendly and the same price like Vulcano 2 but 2 times better.
Also they plant the Agung and Bartur climbing perfect

Arlinas have a great future

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gerald S
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed 2 nights, and can't complain a bit. Great free pick up from Kintamani. Very friendly personel. Now with 3 big luxury hotspring pools still a good deal for 300.000 IDR/Room.

Good food at the restaurant, especially the fresh fish from the Lake.

Organised Tours were good, with a superb guide!

For the budget traveler the best choice in the region!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KOjensen
Arni, Schweiz
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We have just come back from Bali and we stayed here.
The rooms are very basic, not really clean, even the bathroom. Very simple.
The food was pretty good for us all. The staff was very friendly, attentive, especially the lady (very small) in the kitchen.
Ideally situated for climbing Batur. Solve your ticket to the park entrance, 5km from the hotel.The guides are OK

For a simple night - here you are right.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kurt N
London UK
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I booked this over the phone from the UK. It was all very friendly and I was assured the room - which had 2 separate rooms and a bathroom - would be available for me and my family with 2 kids aged 5 and 8. I rang again just before we left for Bali and my name was in the diary, so I had a booking. Just to make sure, I rang one more time when I got to Sanur. Yes, don't worry, the booking's there. So we spent a lovely day travelling up to Toya Bungkah from Sanur, stopping on the way to see the sights. We eventually arrived around 4.30pm to be told by the same woman who took my booking that there weren't any rooms available. The kids were exhausted, we still hadn't booked our trek up Batur for the next day and we had nowhere to stay. There wasn't any point in arguing as she's obviously given the room away to someone who'd turned up earlier. So she said her brother had a similar place nearby and we were shown Under the Volcano, which is the kind of place we stayed in as backpackers, but wasn't really what we wanted with the kids. Our driver took us to a larger hotel nearby and we stayed there in the end.

My recommendation is that if you have a bit of money, don't stay in Toya Bungkah, get a driver to take you from your nice hotel in Nusa Dua, Ubud etc. instead. We'd wanted to stay as that's where we stayed as backpackers 18 years earlier, but it really hasn't changed all that much and isn't very geared to more upmarket tourism just yet.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank GWrench

Travelers are raving about these Toya Bungkah hotels

Sydney
Reviewed August 8, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 1 night as we were doing the Mt Batur sunrise climb at 4am the next morning.

WORST night's sleep we have ever had!!

We decided to go to bed early so we wouldn't be exhausted the next day... But the local dogs had other plans.
At 8.30pm all we could hear were dogs barking. And loud music. It was unbearable. It quietened down about 11pm and by then we had had no sleep whatsoever. I finally nodded off about midnight and then had to wake up 3.5 hours later.
The bed was extremely uncomfortable and I woke up with flea bites all over me!!

The shower had hot water but the pressure is horrible, you won't be able to wash your hair.

The food was VERY average and by average I mean, if you order the Mie Goreng, you'll get packet noodles with a fried egg on top. It cost AUD$2.00 and I suppose the price is fitting.

Word of warning though, after we ate here my boyfriend and I got the infamous Bali Belly. (I still have it now, over a week later!) It's not something you want to have to deal with when on holidays and travelling from place to place.

We decided to stay at Arlina's because the travel book "Rough Guides: Bali" recommended it, I'm writing this so people do not fall into the same trap we did.
It cost us under AUD$20 to stay here and you get what you pay for!

My suggestion is keep driving past Arlina's. There are a few newer places to stay at, one even has a pool! We only discovered these places after we had booked and paid for the accommodation and mountain trek.
I've heard Lakeside Cottages is quite good but again, we only discovered it afterwards.
These places are pricier but very much worth the extra money!

Good luck and I hope your stay in Toya Bungkah is a restful one!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
The Ayu Kintamani
The Ayu Kintamani
#3 of 4 in Toya Bungkah
Astra Dana Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Arlina's Bungalows? Share your experiences!