• Walking distance to shops, restaurants, casino, and shows
• Reasonable Price
• Not setup for tourists
• Clear shower stall in the corner of the room
Pro or Con depending on your perspective
• Upscale comfort (somewhat American/ business class) creates a lack of culture
• Location in NW suburbs. Away from crime and accessible to some attractions but also away from the center of the city
• Not popular with tourists. Staff was very helpful and interested in us but they also didn’t have some setup like what I’m used to.
We selected Sunsquare Montecasino because it was very safe, comfortable, reasonably priced and had many choices in walking distance. Johannesburg does not have a good reputation and there are fears/stories of crime. Montecasino offered the comfort and protection of being a large, upscale complex with multiple hotels, restaurants, entertainment venues, and shops. And we really enjoyed walking to and selecting from the numerous restaurants and shops. For example, we all indulged in affordable massages at the Thai Place and gambled for a bit at the casino. Montecasino is very clean, nice, pretty but could also be America (specifically the Venetian or similar Vegas megahotel).
YOU may want more cultural immersion. However Montecasino is very popular and I was surprised how frequently other casino/restaurant/shop/show goers would initiate conversation when they heard my American accent.
The hotel Sunsquare Montecasino was not setup for tourists. They cater to the local business/ yuppie clientele. For example – they did not have a business center for the guests to check e-mail, make reservations. We had limited access to tourist information. A few drivers hung out at the hotel but it was not a popular taxi stop. However the staff made up for this by going to extreme effort to help us out. The manager of the hotel retrieved her personal laptop from her car (complete with pictures of her dogs) to help us transfer photos to a hard drive. The bartender brought up ice in silver wine bucket for my swollen ankle (No ice or ice buckets on the floor) A staff member took me into the back office and dialed multiple car rental agencies for me. They responded to several calls for help in dialing internationally. While I appreciate the herculean effort, things were simpler at tourist hotel which got questions like this 3 times a day and had a canned answer. Ultimately I would have preferred a hotel that was better setup for my questions/ requests despite them being met in all cases.
The hotel Sunsquare Montecasino rooms and amenities were fine. The lobby is attractive, it opens up into a beautiful Montecasino courtyard with a massive outdoor TV, several restaurants, and a water fountain that puts on a surprisingly impressive show to lights and music in the evening (ala Belliago style). Our included breakfast was wonderful each morning and they had a Starbuck counter much to the delight of one of our group.
The staff as I mentioned were extremely friendly and nice. And not in a good service way... more in a genuine – it’s a-treat-to-see-you-and-I’m-interested-in-you way. They asked about my limp when I sprained my ankle and called us by name. I think we were the exception to their uptown hotel and they appreciated our conversation. They were more business- like with other guests. We took pictures together and we’re Facebook friends now.
The other reviews mentioned the awkward position of the showers in the room and it is true. The showers also have clear doors so you’d better be on intimate terms with your roommate. I had warned my group of 4 people about this and everyone accepted it and did not comment it on it further. Otherwise it was fine – reasonable bed, minifridge, teapots and coffee, an awesome red lip-shaped phone, good built in closet cabinets. One other thing to consider – there is sometimes live entertainment in the courtyard complex and the windows are single paned. Ask for a non-courtyard facing room if you want it quiet before 10 or 11.
Montecasino is located in the northwest side of Johannesburg in the suburbs. This was very convenient for us as the Lion Park, Cradle of Humankind were on that side of the city. Also you could jump on the highway to get to Pretoria to the North.
If you can afford it, or there is a special, I would consider Palazzo at Montecasino. I booked SunSquare because Palazzo was double the cost and because I thought we could still use the pool at Plazzo. However I noticed a sign in the staff’s office indicating that this policy had changed and SunSquare guests were not allowed to use the pool at the Plazzo anymore.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fourways, north of Johannesburg and only 20 minutes from Sandton, is home to the famous Montecasino Entertainment Complex offering a variety of entertainment options including theatres, movies, shopping, restaurants, ten-pin bowling and a world class casino. Integral to this entertainment mecca is the contemporary SunSquare hotel. Each of the 179 rooms sports a funky design and all the modern conveniences that today’s travellers could possibly need. An Italian-style piazza and restaurant adds that extra something special to the hotel which is the only place to stay for those wanting to be at the centre of all the action. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Cancelon, Orbitz, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your SunSquare Montecasino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunsquare Montecasino Hotel Fourways
- Sunsquare Montecasino Johannesburg
- Sunsquare Montecasino Hotel Johannesburg