I decided to spoil my special half to celebrate out=r 5th wedding anniversary, by attending the theater and having dinner at the casino complex, but making it special by staying over at the 5 star hotel which we had heard excellent reviews of, just after it opened.
Arrival was efficiently handled, and for once the bell hop did not hang around demanding a tip, which is a curse in so many local hotels, especially as I had indicated I was more than capable of taking our single overnight bag to the room. The room, booked as a king size suite, was rather on the small side, especially as we had done a trip through Hong Kong and China earlier in the year, and stayed at 5 star hotels throughout that trip. The room was comfortable, but nothing to shout about. It had the basics of an average hotel, plus a single arm chair. Our rooms overseas, had far more to them than what we got here.
We went in search of a cup of tea in the afternoon, and encountered an old fashioned Highveld thunder storm, heavy rain and hail, so the option of sitting on the patio was ruled out. However, the rain water poured into the lounge areas in tow locations though the French doors, not something one would expect from a hotel that has been operating for some 10 years.
Service in the lounge area was anything but efficient. We had to look for someone to serve us. The cappuccino was average, slightly on the cold side, and the tea was as tea is expected to be. When we wanted to pay there was no one in sight, so we left the payment on the table and told a lone waiter as we left where to find it.
Breakfast in the morning is no better than what is on offer at most hotels, a buffet style of help yourself. Waiters were so scarce on the patio, that to order toast took so long, and even longer to arrive at the table, by which time, we had all but finished our "hot" breakfast. To order special eggs, such as fried, or poached, one had to find a waiter, but being scarce, we opted for the bowls of scrambled eggs. Unfortunately, buffet breakfasts can never keep the food piping hot, and this hotel suffers from the same malaise. A pity as the setting in so stunning with citrus trees lining the edge of the patio, over looking the long Koi pond and pool area, with birds flying around, really made sitting there a pleasure, when one considers that you are in the heart of a city.
Would we do this again? Probably, only if we can get a special rate, as the standard rate on the web booking platform is certainly not cheap. If not, then we would look at doing the "cab" thing, being dropped off at the restaurant and going to the show, and then being picked up again and driven home will not be quite the same as a romantic get away, but certainly be a more value for money proposition.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recreating the look and feel of old-style Mediterranean glamour, without compromising on modern luxury, the Palazzo hotel is a treat for all of the senses. The 246 beautifully-appointed rooms include Standard, Deluxe, Executive and Superior Rooms as well as King Suites, a lavish, opulent Penthouse and bespoke Presidential Suite. Every room is equipped with all of those small touches that add to your comfort - direct-dial phones, tea and coffee stations, mini bars, 24-room service, free WiFi and electronic safes to list but a few. Highlights to add to your stay include the Mangwanani Spa Boutique, a fully-equipped fitness centre, business centre, Montecasino Entertainment Complex, delicious Mediterranean dining at Medeo Restaurant, relaxing cocktails at Cafe Rialto, conference rooms and many more. Outdoors, a large swimming pool invites you to dip into its cool waters to escape the heat of a long day, while the poolside area beckons hours of relaxation as you let your mind finally unwind from the daily pressures of life. This is the start of your experience at the Palazzo in Montecasino... Book now to discover what else lies ahead. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Palazzo Montecasino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palazzo Montecasino Hotel Fourways
- Palazzo Montecasino Johannesburg
- Palazzo Montecasino Hotel Johannesburg
- Montecasino Hotel