“Wedding Anniversary special?”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Fourways
Cairns
“Wedding Anniversary special?”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I decided to spoil my special half to celebrate out=r 5th wedding anniversary, by attending the theater and having dinner at the casino complex, but making it special by staying over at the 5 star hotel which we had heard excellent reviews of, just after it opened.

Arrival was efficiently handled, and for once the bell hop did not hang around demanding a tip, which is a curse in so many local hotels, especially as I had indicated I was more than capable of taking our single overnight bag to the room. The room, booked as a king size suite, was rather on the small side, especially as we had done a trip through Hong Kong and China earlier in the year, and stayed at 5 star hotels throughout that trip. The room was comfortable, but nothing to shout about. It had the basics of an average hotel, plus a single arm chair. Our rooms overseas, had far more to them than what we got here.

We went in search of a cup of tea in the afternoon, and encountered an old fashioned Highveld thunder storm, heavy rain and hail, so the option of sitting on the patio was ruled out. However, the rain water poured into the lounge areas in tow locations though the French doors, not something one would expect from a hotel that has been operating for some 10 years.

Service in the lounge area was anything but efficient. We had to look for someone to serve us. The cappuccino was average, slightly on the cold side, and the tea was as tea is expected to be. When we wanted to pay there was no one in sight, so we left the payment on the table and told a lone waiter as we left where to find it.

Breakfast in the morning is no better than what is on offer at most hotels, a buffet style of help yourself. Waiters were so scarce on the patio, that to order toast took so long, and even longer to arrive at the table, by which time, we had all but finished our "hot" breakfast. To order special eggs, such as fried, or poached, one had to find a waiter, but being scarce, we opted for the bowls of scrambled eggs. Unfortunately, buffet breakfasts can never keep the food piping hot, and this hotel suffers from the same malaise. A pity as the setting in so stunning with citrus trees lining the edge of the patio, over looking the long Koi pond and pool area, with birds flying around, really made sitting there a pleasure, when one considers that you are in the heart of a city.

Would we do this again? Probably, only if we can get a special rate, as the standard rate on the web booking platform is certainly not cheap. If not, then we would look at doing the "cab" thing, being dropped off at the restaurant and going to the show, and then being picked up again and driven home will not be quite the same as a romantic get away, but certainly be a more value for money proposition.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York, NY
Reviewed November 25, 2012

As I am planning a trip to Asia and catching up on writing reviews for properties in Europe and other parts of Africa, it struck me that I have never written a review for the Palazzo Montecasino, a hotel I have stayed at for business and pleasure more times than any other property in the world.

The hotel was recommended to me after staying at another property in Joberg that was beautiful but not very child friendly. Once I came to the Montecasino, I have never ventured anywhere else.

The location is superb. Whether alone or with family, it is so nice to stroll over to the fantastic entertainment complex within the same complex for dinner, drinks, to look for a book, see a movie, or go through the exotic bird park as I have at least 10 times now! You are also close to all of the highways to get quickly to all the top destinations.

The hotel itself is beautiful. The Tuscan decor is grand and timeless and you just feel wonderful when you walk into the lobby or sit in the restaurant or other sitting areas. The food is fantastic and we always look forward to having many of our favorites. When we are there in the summer time the pool is fantastic and it's beautiful to look at all year round.

The staff are warm and friendly and always wear a smile on their face. Through my work, I have lots of friends who live in neighboring townships and when I bring them to the hotel, some of whom have never stepped foot in a hotel in all their lives, are treated with the respect and dignity they deserve. Many members of the staff feel like old friends, especially Deon the head concierge, whose excellence deserves special recognition. This past summer he arranged a kids birthday party at The Lion Park for me that was extraordinary. And he's always doing lots of other "extras" which just make your stay easier and more relaxing.

The staff is also kind to reserve my same room year after year which lends itself to the feeling of coming home. If I had one tiny, tiny complaint it is that I do wish there was a larger, nicer gym. The property is so large that I have often wondered why the gym is banished to a ground floor room. For those of us who like to exercise on vacation, a nicer gym would be welcoming.

However, the Palazzo Montecasino has everything else and more! It has a great location, fabulous food, a warm staff, and fantastic rooms.

I highly recommend it for families on holiday and those in the city on business as I have used it for both.

Sawabona!

Room Tip: A room overlooking the pool on an upper floor would be ideal for light and the gorgeous view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I did not choose this hotel because my mother and I was tagged along with my brother when he was on his business trip. So, we stay at the same hotel with him.
It was very nice, decorated in vintage style. Staffs were very helpful.
The area is huge because the hotel and casino are in separate building so you can walk freely within the whole area. I mention this because I have heard that if you stay in town, sometimes you have to be careful when go to convenient stores or walking outside the hotel so space might be limited. The casino includes nice restaurants (both expensive ones and budget ones), cafe, and shops. In addition, there is small bird park (and bird show), and balloon. I recommend the place for family is because there are many activities you can do in the place and if there is a bus from casino to Nelson Mandela Square for R10 / trip.

Room Tip: If you want to take bus to Nelson Mandela Square. It is R10 / trip but you need to purchase the tick...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Durban
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is an impressive hotel, with beautiful general areas and stunning gardens and pool area. The staff are really pleasant and were most helpful in terms of making a booking for our anniversary dinner and organising a surprise treat on our return to our room in the evening. However, we were thankful we did not choose a standard room, as we were booked into a superior room which was disappointing small and oppressive. We felt the decor was neither simple Tuscan villa nor opulent Tuscan Palazzo but it was probably the chipped and rather dated furnishings which contributed to the feeling that we were not in a five star hotel room. In addition, the lack of fresh coffee in the room (only instant coffee, tea and two sachets of instant chocolate) was not what we expected from an establishment where such an attention to detail has been shown outside the rooms. Notwithstanding this, the bed was extremely comfortable, the linen good quality, the room and bathroom clean, nice bathroom products with slippers and gowns and a very well stocked bar (with reasonable costs) which were all in keeping with the star rating. The room views are great and the pool area is magnificent although it occurred to us that during the week we would probably refrain from swimming, as access to the pool appears to be through a very large area of hotel space, and doing this in a bathing costume and gown could potentially feel rather awkward with so many business people around. The proximity to walk to Montecasino's restaurants and the Teatro is superb and unquestionably the staff were wonderful and can be commended for their excellence. It also appears that the package deal for show, dinner, accommodation and breakfast is good value for money but this unfortunately only applies over weekends. Our own experience during the week was that the cost of the room was most unjustified and, as a result, we chose not to have breakfast, in the possibility that we might be further disappointed. Overall, it was very pleasant but certainly not exceptional.

Sandton, South Africa
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I booked the Dirty Dancing package this weekend to celebrate our first wedding anniversary which included a night stay at the Palazzo hotel, dinner, theatre tickets and breakfast. Since this was a special package we were not expecting to get great service as is the case with most discounted deals these days, boy were we wrong! From the minute that I made the booking up until we checked out we were treated like royalty!

Our room was immaculate, it was spotless, comfortable, the linen was crisp white, the bath towels were fluffy, the bath products were divine, there was a nice espresso machine and cookies to snack on.
My husband needed a car wash and one of the porters actually drove it to the Caltex garage to have it washed for us as the Monte car wash had already closed for the day.
The swimming pool area is amazing, it is clean and comfortable, we were served delicious cocktails while tanning next to the pool and there were jugs of fruit water available for us to help ourselves to.

Dinner was delicious, we had a 2 course meal which was included in the package and it was great. Our waitress was very professional and we felt like we were the only people in the restaurant.

We then took a stroll to Monte Casino to go watch the Dirty Dancing show and on our return back to the hotel we were greeted with our bed and bath tub full of rose petals, a bunch of red roses on the bed, a nice dipping set given to us as a gift, a bottle of champaigne chilling in an ice bucket and a nice big slice of choclate mousse cake with the words "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate sauce on the plate. We were completely blown away.

Breakfast the next morning was superb, a huge spread with anything and everything you could wish for. Once again the service was spectacular.

Although I live 10 minutes down the road, I felt like I was in another country. We were very spoilt and well looked after and I can really say that the Palazzo makes me feel proud to be South African.

Westmount, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2012

A wonderful combination of facilities, service, and food. These guys understand 'service excellence' and deliver it. Great restaurant for dinner, and also for morning breakfast buffet. Good pool setting with gardens to enjoy the sun/breezes. Nice fitness centre (not big). Well decorated rooms, clean, modern, and comfortable. - Just a wonderful experience, and good location.

Room Tip: If you are going to spend any significant amount of wakeful time in the room, ask for a ground-floor...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I first noticed this hotel driving to the city from Lanseria Airport and it sparked my curiosity. So, when the opportunity presented itself, I decided to stay here instead of in Sandton.

The Palazzo is without a doubt one of the prettiest hotels that I have been to. Styled after a Tuscan villa, it is an impressive building with stunning gardens and an inviting pool area.

The rooms however, are fairly small. Not a deal breaker in my case since I was on my own and overnight. However, for a couple it may get crowded after a few days.

While I enjoyed my stay, I am not sure that I would choose it again. The price is too high for what you get and the surrounding area is a bit lacking – however, still a beautiful property.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fourways
SunSquare Montecasino
#4 of 7 in Fourways
Michelangelo Hotel
Michelangelo Hotel
#3 of 47 in Sandton

Been to The Palazzo Montecasino? Share your experiences!