“Watch this place!”

The Tollgate
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Dyrham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Situated on the A46, three miles south of junction 18 on the M4, and six miles north of Bath, Tollgate Teashop is in an elevated position with panoramic views across Bristol, the Severn and to the Welsh Hills. The listed building was an old Turnpike.Tollgate Teashop is a traditional style cafe/restaurant. Customers can choose to sit in the cosy teashop with its wood burning stove, or in the Victorian conservatory with its stunning scenery. In the summer months we also have tables in both the front and rear gardens. We serve traditional food such as full English breakfast, soup, pies and cream teas. All of our food is made on the premises from locally sourced ingredients.
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Usually, I am irritated when I think I have posted a contribution & then discover it didn't process: not so this time! We stopped off in September on our way home to Wales from Dorset & the Tollgate was up to its usual standard. Yesterday, we broke our journey homewards again & discovered that the establishment is in the care of another proprietor. There are changes afoot, but the most obvious one at this stage is a man who clearly likes people & is full of bonhomie! The Welsh Rarebit hasnt changed (still light, subtle & delicious, so, I do hope it doesn't fall off the menu) & the standard of the produce is still really high. The staff working were all cheerful & friendly - always a good thing. It sounds as if there are likely to be a number of significant changes in the coming months, including replacing the conservatory with an orangery & replacing the outside toilets with some inside the fabric of the building. Clearly, this will expand the number of seats available (in the tea shop hem hem!) which will help business in the long run in this ever popular & busy venue. It would be lovely to see the range of teas extended (as at Pettigrews in Cardiff) & hopefully they will be able to make the place more disabled friendly: as for people who rely on walkers it is very difficult & for wheelchair users IMPOSSIBLE. I didnt have room for cake & was interested as there are a few more choices on the menu now, so I requested "Cake Away". My request was responded to nicely & with consideration (how far did I have to go, resulted in securing my treat in an open plastic box, carefully covered with foil). The plan to make the most of the beautiful view over the Severn Estuary is inspired & I do hope that there will be a website popping up soon, so that people can keep an eye on the progress which is made. If you dont know the exact location of the Tollgate, do drive carefully along the road as it is possible to whizz past & difficult to track back without going to the roundabout at the start of the motorway or a smaller one enroute to Bath!
Well done & good luck - we'll be back :0)

TollgateTeam, Owner at The Tollgate, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Many thanks for your kind review.

Tom, Kate and the Tollgate Team

There are newer reviews for The Tollgate

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Called in for tea and a scone etc with my wife.We overheard the new owner explaining expansion plans so appreciate that the business is under new ownership.
On the plus side it is a very welcoming enviroment.My wife thoroughly enjoyed her pudding and I enjoyed what I had.
On the minus side I dont nomally expect to pay extra for jam with a scone.
Being constructive,just because the jam is homemade it does not make it good(it was quite runny).Neither is the tea necessarily good just because its grown in Cornwall.
Very good luck with the project,the location is wonderful.

Many thanks for your kind review.

Tom, Kate and the Tollgate Team

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stopped in for lunch last week. Beautiful views of the valley. Great service and great food. Had the Treacle Tart with cream for dessert. Wonderful!

TollgateTeam, Owner at The Tollgate, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Ann M

The team and I would like to thank you for your very positive review, we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Regards The tollgate Team

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Having visited over many years, it is now under new management, the changes that have been made to the inside, gives a brighter feel. You walk through the small front garden, where you can sit and have your breakfast, lunch and wonderful cream tea, then enter into the makeover.

I would highly recommend visiting and I am certain you would become a regular (like myself), you are made to feel very welcome.

The tea is wonderful, loose leaf and a brilliant flavour, this is highly recommended, I tried this for the first time today (29/9). As someone who enjoys tea, this is one i would say to try it.

The food is served to a high standard and there is lots to choose from.

I feel that under the new management the tea shop will become outstanding, for those who found their visit disappointing in previous times, please go again and see the changes, all I can say is I don't think you will write disappointing again.

Well done to the new owners, please keep up the good standard you have set

Dear Margery L

The Team and I would like to thank you for a truly wonderful review, it really does make all the hard work we are putting into the Tollgate, feel so worthwhile. We have lots of plans which we hope to rollout over the coming year, please do introduce yourself when you are next visit, your feedback and views are very important to us...

Thanks again.

Regards The Tollgate Team.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and I visited this café today on our way back from dropping our son off at Bath university and having lugged his many bags up to his room we were gasping for a drink and took the opportunity to stop at the tea rooms to quench our thirst. We opted for cream teas and found the English grown tea a very delicate, tasty and refreshing drink. The tea needed to brew as we were advised by the friendly owner for 4 minutes and it was worth the wait. This is a friendly cafe and we would certainly recommend it and visit again.

Dear SunflowerLou

Thanks for your positive review, I hope your son is settling in well at university.
Hopefully see you both when you next Bath.

Regards The Tollgate Team