“Emersed in art”

Book In Advance
More Info
$57.50*
and up
Visit of Provence and the Carrieres de Lumieres...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: In the heart of Alpilles, the monumental “Carrieres de Lumieres” host extraordinary multimedia shows which are unique in the world. Spectators are totally immersed in the images projected onto all the surfaces of the rock. The ground is completely covered, too, and becomes a vast carpet of images. The site has reopened its doors with the show “Gauguin - Van Gogh, painters of colour,” created by Gianfranco Iannuzzi with Renato Gatto and Massimiliano Siccardi.
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Wow! Carriered de Lumieres is an abandoned quarry. The huge spaces have been fitted with projectors and speakers, turning the gigantic walls into screens. Fish, pebbles, classic works of art and random patterns appear, while beautiful music plays. Amazingly the acoustics are excellent and even the sound quality is to be enjoyed.

Because everything is on such a huge scale the visitor forgets where he/she is and is simply emersed in art. This show is so amazing that Carrieres de Lumieres alone is worth a trip to Marseille.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,743)
All reviews
"highlight of our trip"
"walk around"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Recently I had the pleasure of seeing the 2013 : Monet, Renoir... Chagall. Journeys around Mediterranean. I am a huge fan of the Impressionists and the show brought the artists work to life. The caves alone are impressive; then add in your favorite pastels and artists moving across the wall, so deftly planned that the transition from painting to painting and artist to artist is seamless. The music paired with the paintings was the perfect finishing touch. I felt that I was able to walk into the images and see the world the way the artist had when they had actually created their art.

If you are planning to travel anywhere in Provence, a trip to this exhibit is a must. We stayed in St. Remy and the drive was not long and very easy. For hikers, you can also walk to Les Baux, which in itself is worth the visit. I would definitely recommend buying a companion ticket and here are a few tips. 1) if you are NOT a student buying the tri-ticket (Carrières de Lumières + Château des Baux + Musée Brayer) is a smart choice. However, if you are a student, the price is better to purchase the Carrières de Lumières + Château des Baux and then purchase the Musée Brayer ticket alone. Regardless of the ticket you choose, I can't think of an exhibit that I have enjoyed so much or had affected me so profondly as the Carrières de Lumières.

1  Thank sasalliee
Reviewed November 9, 2013

"When I researched this attraction, I couldn't quite get my ahead around what it actual was and overall, it sounded "cheesy" to me. I couldn't have been more wrong! This is an installation of the highest artistic merit. You literally enter inside a world of painting (in this case, artists who painted in the Mediterranean) as if you are a paint drop on the canvas. The music, projection techniques, and art selection were all brilliant. My companion teared up, finding the experience so beautiful and amazing. This show is appropriate for all ages and I think any child, say 5 or over, would think it was awesome. Bring sweaters as it can be a bit chilly (The quarry itself is unique.). It provides a wonderful break from visiting walled cities and traditional museums."

3  Thank NJB1165
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My wife had been before and whilst I kind of understood the idea I had no concept of how good it was. Absolutely worth the €9.50 to see this brilliantly conceived attraction. Not only are the images of popular artists projected onto the limestones faces of the disused quarry - they're choreographed with music and enhanced with emphasis of some elements of the images. Parking is a bit tricky!