“9th wonder!”

$119.53*
and up
Full Day Roman and Medieval Provencal Heritage Walking Tour from Avignon
More attraction details
Owner description: In the heart of Alpilles, the monumental “Carrières de Lumières” host extraordinary multimedia shows which are unique in the world. Spectators are totally immersed in the images projected onto all the surfaces of the rock. The ground is completely covered, too, and becomes a vast carpet of images.The site has reopened its doors with the show “Gauguin - Van Gogh, painters of colour”, created by Gianfranco Iannuzzi with Renato Gatto and Massimiliano Siccardi.
Landenberg, Pennsylvania
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“9th wonder!”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

A stunning presentation of art, sound, and history. Carrieres de Lumieres transports tourists to another world, forcing us to stop rushing to the next attraction or meal and immerse our entire bodies in art. As we walked through these enormous caves, it was impossible not to have all of our senses sparking at full power. We could not escape being enveloped in the luscious water lilies of Monet or the lascivious boldness of Manet's Olympia, each work or art accompanied by an equally triumphant work of music. Because this experiences forces a kinetic experience with the visitor, it brings a heightened sense to the history of the caves (thank you for not erasing the names of the past that had been carved into the walls) and the region. As a Goughuin projected before us, we could touch the wall and feel the years that had passed that had brought us to this point. We stayed longer than expected, and are glad that we cut some time from Les Baux to really engage with the experience.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“art and music”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Combination of music, projection of classic art paintings, lights created fascinating experience. I specially got moved when people from pictures start dancing. You can enter the show at any time, it does not matter; you can leave at any time. Stay longer then one show because the experience depends on your location in a room. Try to see it from a different place and angle of view. Try to come earlier or later at the day because parking could be a problem.

Visited October 2013
California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fantastic exhibition in Les-Baux-de-Provence”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This exhibition was recommended to me by my transport person who lives in Provence.
He had sent me a short video that gave you a taste of what you would experience. I was so
enthalled with this art exhibition that I wandered around the quarry. The way the paintings are
portrayed give you a sense that you are in the painting. Each painting was a feast for your eyes,
and the accompanying music made the experience that much riicher.
It was cooler in the quarry than I thought it would be, so be prepared to bring a jacket.
I highly recommend seeing this if you are in Provence.

Brooklyn, New York
184 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“A Must-See! Absolutely the best multi-media show I have ever seen.”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

When I researched this attraction, I couldn't quite get my ahead around what it actual was and overall, it sounded "cheesy" to me. I couldn't have been more wrong! This is an installation of the highest artistic merit. You literally enter inside a world of painting (in this case, artists who painted in the Mediterranean) as if you are a paint drop on the canvas. The music, projection techniques, and art selection were all brilliant. My companion teared up, finding the experience so beautiful and amazing.

This show is appropriate for all ages and I think any child, say 5 or over, would think it was awesome. Bring sweaters as it can be a bit chilly (The quarry itself is unique.). It provides a wonderful break from visiting walled cities and traditional museums.

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Amazing! Must see.”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I was amazed by this art show. It's was one of our main highlights of our trip to France. The moving images were projected off old lime stone wall, it was amazing. I highly recommend this.

Visited April 2013