1,002 results
All reviews deluxe room michelin star manor house michelin restaurant amuse bouche the past years perfect hotel world class fabulous place amazing experience beautiful grounds first rate st remy private terrace glass of wine old village setting
Reviewed September 8, 2018

A great base to experience Provence. You may never want to leave because of the serenity of the hotel and grounds. This is an excellent country hotel from where to experience the best of Provence, great walk to town and close by St Remy is a gem too.

Room Tip: The Manoir house has a great location, ask for an outside terrace
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Jean André C, Propriétaire at Baumaniere les Baux-de-Provence, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear danrF8242QF,

Many thanks for your comment it is great for me to know that you like natural environment.

With Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 4, 2018

I’ve read other reviews subsequent to visiting the hotel and I’ve noticed that many elicit a somewhat defensive response, perhaps naturally – I took the time to write this as I feel there are opportunities to release fuller potential and I hope this is how it is taken. There are both some really great aspects and some that with a little work could be great!

We stayed at this hotel some 3 or so years back and when my wife was planning our current trip, she initially thought she had found an exciting new location with a 2 Michelin starred restaurant from the photo’s she was studying. (Oustau de Baumaniere) When we arrived we found out that this was just a part of the complex that is Baumaniere Hotel and Spa. (which I guess must have since been acquired or we completely overlooked last time!!)

Some things had changed of course, this time we found you have to pull over and walk into a new dedicated reception area/building, the main compound being gated against unwanted hoards. You are provided a map and the suggestion that you download an app to your phone. I don’t know about others, but I’m not really keen on downloading too much of anything in the way of apps since they tend to stick with you even after you have sought to remove them.

My wife thought she’d booked us into a room located in the area of the restaurant and it was something of a surprise to us to learn this time that there were, in fact, three locations separated by some 900 m (say 1,000 yds) and we were in fact in a “quiet” provincial former house with outstanding views of the Baux village and rocks and that we should follow a driver to the place. So far mildly bemusing and adventurous. The room “14” is on the ground floor some 300+ m from the main hotel base and comprises a king size bed, a big round table and a couple of chairs in which we felt sitting rather like children (big)… the bathroom was small with a single sink and not much room to put your toiletries and a shower over a bath with a glass screen and a separate toilet/bidet. Initial impressions were of acceptance rather than excitement mixed with some disappointment. Our mood didn’t improve hugely when we heard the folks next door moving around which rather prompted my wife to emulate the scene of Meg Ryan’s ”Yes/yes/yes’ only to later discover they were a very calm and quite elderly English couple.

We went to the Cabro D’or restaurant in the hotel that evening and loved it! That said the service though thorough was efficient rather than inclusive.

We were picked up and dropped off by the car service they have to do this, although there is supposed to be a pathway between the sites they are separated by a country road we were told at night we might stumble across a “wild boar” and best not walk.
When we returned there had been some turn down service, though unusually, no complimentary water supplied.

We awoke early the next morning and decided to walk to the main hotel campus, but before that wanted to shower. Did I mention the shower over bath – had a heavy old handset and glass screen. I heard my wife shriek and on investigation found that the holder was so loose that if you changed the tap settings at all, it caused the head to displace and it ended falling out and onto her toes – not best pleased. Forewarned when I took my shower, I found that if I set it straight in line, most of the water ended up outside the shower screen amongst the toiletries on the sink, so instead I chose to lean against the wall and set the shower head that way! (I walked around lopsided the rest of the day). After breakfast we rode an electric car up into the village of “Baux” which is really quite picturesque and well worth the time. Actually quite quiet and filled with a variety of restaurants, but being Sunday apparently most of the best restaurants would be shut in the evening and the hotel kindly booked up to eat at Ou Riva Provencau which was both reasonably priced and great food.

But back to the story… The path was a tad rough and unloved so best use trainers rather than flip-flops or heels! Breakfast was in the same space as dinner but we wanted to go to the gym beforehand, unfortunately it was closed until 10 and with breakfast scheduled to stop at 10:30. Having arrived at 9, this left us the apparent choice of no breakfast or no gym, but the reception did kindly offer to and opened up the gym for us.

Later in the day we walked down to the large swimming pool in the main complex, there are three pools one in the main complex, a smaller one in “le manoire” and one at the far site (Oustau).

The next day we chose to take our breakfast at Oustau, what a delight ! The service and ambience were outstanding and the staff couldn’t do enough for us. We were very grateful that we hadn’t opted for breakfast in our rooms own terrace as that morning it was seemingly taken over by a family with shall we say a rather distressed child. (so much for the quiet room we were promised).

Long story short, service in the main hotel is peremptory, room selection and location might be Hobson’s choice and room quality seems to vary considerably. If you get the chance, try and hang out at Oustau – where the ambience is serene and the service wonderful. If you have children, forget that advice and choose the main complex.

Room Tip: See if you can get something at Oustou
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple

Dear Mark J,

Thank you for your comment, it took time and heart. It is true that we have an unusual domain with 20 hectares for 54 rooms, which are all different in location, decoration and size. If you were to come back, I suggest you call our reservation office to enquire about the digital “room book selection”.

I look forward to meeting you next time,

Reviewed September 4, 2018

Stayed one night, waiting to occupy our room at the other 5* star in les Baux de Provence, the Domaine de Manville (excellent and reviewed separately)

You enter reception at Baumaniere and you know already there are going to be issues; Stayed in so called suite - a room with a so-called sitting room in an old building in the gardens. Service was very average, the room was horrible - at 950 euros a night........ the room smelled of humidity, old furniture, the bed creaked, the bathroom and shower are totally average ( to say the least) - a truly bad experience. this is not a 5*....

CP & CP FAMILY

Room Tip: none - the are much better hotels in the surroundings
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled on business
1  Thank C P

Dear C P,

I am very sad about your bad experience, we have a special property with 54 rooms, all very different in shape, decoration and locations. If you were to come back to discover Baumanière, please ask our reservation department for the digital room book. It shows all pictures of our rooms to help you choose upon your preferences.

I hope to be able to host you again one day.

Reviewed August 31, 2018

Upon arrival take a few more steps uphill to see the view over the pool to the mountains. Picture below. The service and food were as you would expect in a restaurant of this elegance. My wife still maintains that it was the best meal of our trip. Not inexpensive, but after driving to get there, no reason to hold back. Enjoy

Stayed: April 2018
Jean André C, Propriétaire at Baumaniere les Baux-de-Provence, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2018

Dear BayHeadTravelinBear,

Thank you for your comment, Baumanière has a lot to offer, do not hesitate to visit our website to discover our latest news.

Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I just spent 8 wonderful days at this beautiful resort nestled at the base of the mountains in Provence.

We cannot say enough about the entire experience. From the spectacular grounds, to the incredibly kind staff, to the fabulous food, it was truly an amazing and romantic stay.

Everything is taken care of and there are two fantastic restaurants on the property, including a “do not miss” Michelin 2 Star called Oustau de Baumanière.

I am going to stop because I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this place and look forward to visiting again.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple

Dear Beauryan,

It is always great to have such comments, I will be really happy to meet up with you next time you visit us. There is a lot to discover in our region, we are here to make your stay as good as it gets.