1,100 results
All reviews deluxe room michelin star restaurant amuse bouche these years perfect hotel beautiful terrace world class fabulous place first rate st remy glass of wine medieval village yogurt setting grounds goats provence
Selected filters
Reviewed September 11, 2016

On a recent trip to Les Baux de Provence my husband booked lunch at Baumaniere les Baux de Provence for my birthday. We sat outside on the shared table which was stylishly set and rustically beautiful.
The food itself was excellent. We dined at La Table d'hôtes and had the set menu which was seasonal and absolutely amazing and worthy of every accolade this restaurant has received. Well balanced menu with a variety of choices.
The service from all the staff was exceptional, however I would like to call out a particular member which was Daniel, he took the time to translate everything on the menu for us, effortlessly and with as sense of pride which made us feel so special. As mentioned it was my birthday and we ordered a bottle of wine and my husband toasted me when Daniel poured our wine, he picked up on this and asked if it was my birthday. When desert arrived, they had decorated it with candle and ‘happy birthday’, which made the occasion feel extra special.
We also dined there again the day after (this time under porch) because we loved it so much and the manager was equally as pleasant and genuinely happy to receive positive feedback of her staff which we gave willingly.
I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant for any occasion and would go out of my way to find it if you are anywhere in the vicinity.
Thanks again for your wonderful customer service and exceptional food!

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Jean André C, Propriétaire at Baumaniere les Baux-de-Provence, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2016

Dear Maria C,

We are pleased to hear that you appreciated your lunch at Baumanière Les Baux-de-Provence for your birthday.

Many thanks for your kind comments regarding the service, staff and restaurant. They will be happy to know how much you spent a good time among us.

We were very happy to offer you our services for this special moment.

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 25, 2016

The grounds are lovely - the staff spotty, the rooms outdated and uncomfortable (even tho we booked a suite and a terrace room). The 2 star restaurant is shocking and should lose its stars. The staff at the restaurant is rude and incompetent. Although we wrote months ahead warning of an extreme garlic allergy, which we reminded both the hotel and restaurant of on arrival we were served garlic within 5 minutes of sitting down. We alerted the waiter and asked to order and again said we would order anything as long as we were not served garlic. We took the waiters suggestions and 50 minutes later he appeared to say we could not have what we ordered but only the vegetarian item on the menu. When asked why he waited 50 minutes to inform us he responded "Why come to France if you do not eat garlic". We of course left and went to the other overpriced restaurant and were rudely told "we are full". We went to the front desk to see if they could help us but they said you should have stayed at the first restaurant and eaten vegetarian. We would never go back nor would we recommend any one else does. This place is outdated and grossly overpriced. It was the worst place we stayed in France.

Room tip: Don't stay here
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank NonnaPaische

Dear NonnaPaische,

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

We regret to read that you didn’t appreciate your moment in the restaurant.

We are sorry for the delay and pass your remarks in regard to the service to our restaurant manager to make sure it does not happen again.

We will be happy to welcome you again for another moment and change your first impression.

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 9, 2016

This hotel has lovely staff, good service and great restaurants. The grounds are lovely and I enjoyed seeing the vegetable garden and goats.. The swimming pool is large, great to swim in and in a lovely setting. The food offerings at the pool area were very limited. On the other hand, the restaurants are very good for dinner - both the one at the hotel and of course the L'Oustau. The breakfast was good but they ran out of berries, fruit tart and some other items. I was expecting superb for the price.

The suite was disappointing and overpriced. The second room was narrow and really not very usable and the air conditioning was in the shelf blowing onto the bed which is poor planning. And it was far too hot not use it.
You can walk up to the Castle and grounds of Baux which are fascinating the Chagall light, sound and music experience was an absolute highlight in The Carrieres.
It's also close to villages such as St Remy, Arles, Avignon and others.
I would not pay for a Suite in the future as it is over priced.

Room tip: Ask for a room as better value and you'll be outside the room mostly
2  Thank Tania d
Jean André C, Propriétaire at Baumaniere les Baux-de-Provence, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2016

Dear Tania d,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Baumanière les
Baux-de-Provence, it is extremely valuable to us, as we strive to improve with each and every stay.
First, we are glad you enjoyed the settings, our restaurants and our staff members.
Secondly, we are sorry about the little annoyances you experienced during your stay, we will see with our managers in order to fix them and improve our services.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in order to leave you a better impression of Baumanière les Baux-de-Provence.
Best regards,

Reviewed July 30, 2016

My husband and I stayed in a deluxe room with a terrace (in the l'Oustau) for four nights. The room and bathroom were both good sizes, as was the terrace. However, the terrace got very warm in the late afternoons, even when the umbrella was raised. The view from the terrace was beautiful.

The grounds of the hotel are lovely, and the staff is friendly and helpful.

We very much enjoyed our stay.

1  Thank MJM804
Jean André C, Propriétaire at Baumaniere les Baux-de-Provence, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2016

Dear MJM804,
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your time in our beautiful region.
Many thanks for your kind words, it is a pleasure to read that you were happy with your bedroom and the settings.
The Oustau is the main building of Baumanière les Baux-de-Provence; it has welcomed people since 1946 and it’s true that its terraces are beautiful places to enjoy the view over the Provence.
We hope to have the chance of seeing you again,
Best regards

Reviewed July 26, 2016 via mobile

I got married some twenty five years ago at Baumaniere. At the time, I believe the restaurant was a three star Michelin. If not, two... Our dinner was exquisite, our stay incredible. All our guests still to this day, talk about the magical wedding in Les Baux.
This past July, we decided to stop through to show our friends with whom we were visiting France, where my husband and I got married. I called, a couple of days prior to coming to ask if we could, by chance, just have dessert and coffee by the pool as we would come through Les Baux in mid-afternoon. I was told it was not an issue but depending on the time, just drinks might be served. I was fine with that. I told my friends who were fine with that too and off we went... despite many negative reviews. I thought... 'What can go wrong? Just dessert and/or drinks... They can't screw that too much!'
For those of you who do not want to read a full long review and explanations of what went on, I'll sum it as...
I AM NOT SURE WHAT WAS MORE INFURIATING... SEEING THE MAÎTRE D'HOTEL's BUDDIES WHITE BEHINDS AS THEY CHANGED INTO THEIR SUITS RIGHT IN FRONT OF US OR WAITING AN HOUR AND A HALF FOR DRINKS AND ICE CREAM AND BEING TOLD THEY STILL DID US A FAVOR BY SERVING US DESSERTS BY THE POOL!!!!!
For those of you wondering if that could really have happened at a Michelin star restaurant and Relais Chateau hotel.... It did. 8 of us saw it!
And now... The rest of the story!
We arrived on a hot summer day in July and were told in this arrogant French way that sometimes people who work in establishments like that seem to be fond of, for whatever reason (mind you I am French, so I know what I am talking about!) that ...yes, we could sit by the pool but ....oh non Madame.... The desserts are for the lunch menu alone!
Again, having called prior to that... I was aware that maybe it would be the case depending on the day, time etc.... No big deal.... We will have drinks.
They sit us outside, by the pool, remotely from the main dining room, which was my hope... As we wanted to sip comfortably in a more relaxed setting. It was as beautiful as ever... No issue there. The pool menu comes to us... It's a nice pool menu with a few friendly options for dessert... (Ice cream, île flottante, strawberries... Nothing fancy)
The waitress is this adorable young woman. She takes our order and I ask to double check if we can order desserts and we can... It's the pool menu. No problem. We wait.
Our drinks come relatively quickly and we are busy chatting, enjoying our time. We realize after 45 minutes that our desserts are still not showing up and that a table, relatively close, is busy getting set up for lunch. Many waiters are there along with the Maître D'hotel. I call our waitress over who apologetically says our order is being prepared and should not be too much longer. It's been an hour by then.
The bare bottom 'guests' show up in tee-shirts and shorts, four men... a bit 'rustic' for the style of establishment. But whatever, right???...They sit down and within minutes, start to take off their tee shirts. One looks back at us and without a second hesitation, takes his shorts and underwear off to put on his swimming suit. I am no prude but again.... It does not seem like the kind of establishment I remember. The Maître d'hotel comes to talk to his buddies, laugh a bit, leaves and brings food... All of that before our desserts.
We finally get out desserts. We pay at the counter inside as we could maybe have waited another hour for the bill and there... The Maître d'hotel asks me:
"How was everything?"
I was so furious and boiling by then that I did not have the clarity of mind to ask him if seeing his friends' bare behinds was part of the question or if waiting an hour and a half to get desserts was also part of the question.
I answered...
"A bit slow.... Don't you think???" In French!
And the 'pompon' as we say in French (the cherry on top of the cake) was in his answer....
'It was as a service to you that I served desserts, and we had an incident in the kitchen where we needed to redo desserts for a table in the main dining room... I should not have accepted to serve you desserts.'
I made him aware that the desserts we ordered were part of the pool menu and as such did not contribute to any extra effort on their part to serve and that being at the pool, I could order pool food or so I thought to which he replied ... Not really! You were not a guest at the hotel. To which I replied...
'We will make certain we are not guests anymore at your restaurant and hotel'
Disgraceful and unacceptable in my eyes. Rather than just simply apologize.
I do hope that the nice lady I talked to a few days earlier will read this and share my disappointment with management. It's sad that once a favorite table of France has fallen so low and is not aware of how employees treat their guests. It seems they would rather treat their friends.... Unfortunately... The friends don't seem like the ones who can bring in the revenue!

Trip type: Traveled with friends
7  Thank Marie Pierre B
Jean André C, Propriétaire at Baumaniere les Baux-de-Provence, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2016

Dear Marie Pierre B,
I take good note of your comments concerning your afternoon at the swimming pool.
I regret that we had not been able to serve you your ice creams faster and that the Maître d’hotel answered you that way; I apologize for this annoyance.
This is absolutely not the Baumaniere’s usual image.
I congratulate you for the talent you used to relate your misadventure, but I have three remarks to make:
1) The restaurant around the pool is not open to the clients who don’t stay at the hotel, the person who welcomed you should have said it to you.
2) You have written that you “should have listened to reviews” yet, 98% of these comments are excellent. Moreover, you cannot judge our establishment without having a real meal at the restaurant.
3) Finally, with what right do you exercice any judgement on the quality of our guests? They might seem “rustic”, they are local entrepreneurs who come very often for lunch, which explain their “familiarity”.
We wish to assure you, dear Marie Pierre B, of our highest consideration.