“AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Drumheller
Edmonton, AB
“AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

This was quite possibly one of the worst run hotels I have ever stayed in. The property and room were quite nice however, the service was laughable.

I arrived at 6pm after a 6 hour drive with 3 hungry and tired children to be told our room was not ready yet. The cleaner was busy talking to the receptionist and obviously cleaning rooms was not a priority. After a 20 minute wait we were allowed to unload into our room. After getting the kids fed and cooled off we decided to head down to the pool where there were several other young families as well as 4 young adults who were dominating the pool, slide and jacuzzi areas. After they left I went to the lobby to get some towels (there were none in the pool area as we had been told) and found the young adults chatting with the receptionist. I discovered they were not guests at the hotel but rather the receptionist's boyfriend and his friends. Things did not improve at breakfast. It was a Monday morning and the hotel was obviously not prepared. They advertise a hot and cold breakfast between 6 and 10 AM. We arrived at 8 AM and found nothing was available except toast and cereal. There was a waffle maker, but the charming (LOL) cleaner told us they were out of batter. Other guests had complained as the previous day yogurt, bagels, and fruit had all been available.

This hotel was completely unprofessional and not worthy of carrying the Ramada name. On business I stay not only at Ramadas but also others quite comparable - Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden, Best Westerne tc. and without a doubt this was well below expectation. The apparent indifference of the manger, Sheri Plachner, was astounding considering we were paying $189 for our room. I realize that this is not how all Ramada Inns are run, but I thought I should pass on that this particular hotel was an awful place to stay.

• Liked — Close to pubs and restaurants
  • Disliked — Service and Staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank gpryke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Grande Prairie, AB
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2007

An open letter to Sheri Plachner, the General Manager of this awful property:

I wanted to send you a short note to share an experience I had at your hotel on Boxing Day.

I live in Grande Prairie. My family and I were staying with my Dad in Drumheller over Christmas. We were leaving to drive to Edmonton on December 27 (Thursday). My Dad, Doug, is 70 and has no computer, so no internet access.

I came to your hotel, having heard you have an excellent business centre. Your rude front desk clerk, after a long wait, refused any amount of money to allow me access to a computer. To make a reservation at a hotel in Edmonton would have taken only a couple minutes, and, especially at Christmas, would have shown some goodwill.

Instead, I waited until I reached Edmonton, and used a computer in a friend's office to make my reservation and pay for my two night's stay.

I see this two ways: First, I am familiar with the Drumheller attitude of exceptionally poor service and low level of friendliness because many people in Drum do not want tourism and the money and progress it brings. (The plebescite on the aquatics centre was defeated in October precisely because of this attitude.)

Second, it seems that your desk clerk that afternoon was not trained in hospitality. Nor does she exhibit the essentials in her personality to work in the hospitality industry.

I have to tell you that I am a retail manager, as well as a small businessman. From my store I had 100% attendance at our Christmas party. I have very low turnover in staff and a high level of loyalty, and low absenteeism. I sit on the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board as a publice member for the City of Grande Prairie, and a member of the Grande Prairie Youth Justice Committee. I am a member of the Canadian Forces (army reserve) and serve as a cadet instructor for the local corps of the Loyal Edmonton Regiment. I also am active in my church and regularly meet with other Christian businessmen from the south Peace Region. So, I travel (mostly within Alberta and northern BC) extensively.

Rest assured, I will be sharing my experience with many, many people at every opportunity. I also am sending a copy of this email to Ramada and the Drumheller Mail for publishing. I don't have to tell you where on my accommodation list will the Ramada family of properties rest.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank wgrp_canada
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2007

My band mates and I stayed a this hotel in Drumheller at the end of September. It was great! This hotel was a pleasant surprise in Drumheller. It looks recently built and all the decor was up-to-date and new.

Rooms: Quiet, well appointed, and clean. The automated temperature control operated perfectly. The beds were comfortable. The blinds let in hardly any light which was great for sleeping in. Nice new bathroom with tub/shower.

Location: right in the middle of Drumheller's hotel area along the Highways. Close to McDonald's and a great Irish Pub (O'Sheay's Irish Pub).

Amenities: Smaller sized pool with waterslide that wraps around the exterior of the building. Large fitness room. Continental breakfast area (very busy in the mornings, we opted to have breakfast elsewhere). Ample parking in the front and back of the hotel. Both smoking and non-smoking rooms. If you are a non-smoker make sure you get the non-smoking rooms as the smoking rooms really smelled like cigarette smoke.

All in all this was a comfortable hotel in Drumheller and I recommend it.

Tip: Go to Diana's Restaurant/Diner in the historic center of town. Great food for breakfast or whenever.

• Liked — Comfortable beds and room. Cleanliness. New!
  • Disliked — All the kids around. Heavy cigarette smoke smell in smoking rooms. Busy breakfast area.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank Beerboy
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2007

This is the best Ramada I have ever stayed in. The decor and atmosphere is beautiful!! The front desk staff were A+ in my books. The housekeeping ladies were very busy (because it was summer) but they did a fabulous job on our room. I understand that not everyone will have a great experience as I did but give the hotel a try.

• Liked — Friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Lethbridge, Alberta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2007

I spent 3 long nights in this hotel. When I first arrived at the room, I saw it hadn't been vaccumed. I asked the front desk clerk to have someone vaccum the room. She came up shortly to do that. I noticed the flooring looked a bit dusty. Out of curiosity, I used a towel to wipe a bit of the floor. I was shocked to see how black the towel was. At that point, I had to continue as I didn't feel I wanted to stay in a room that filthy. I ended up mopping the entryway floor and the bathroom floor. The towel was consistently black with each swipe of the floor. Thankfully, I also had disinfectant wipes with me so I wiped down all the surfaces in the room. At no time was there an offer made to reduce my room rate to compensate. Nothing was offered. I submitted a comments card, but haven't heard anything from anyone in the hotel. Obviously business is so good, there's no concern about keeping customers. It's unfortunate that a hotel this new would be this dirty.

• Liked — Front desk clerks were friendly
  • Disliked — Filthiness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Bargain-hunter5
Victoria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2007

The Ramada in Drumheller is new. We read about it on Trip Advisor, and agree about no restaurants available in Drumheller. The hotel's breakfast area is full after 8:00, so the trick is: get there between 6 and 8! The variety for breakfast was excellent including waffles, a variety of sweet buns, including cinnamon buns, and bagels, six different cereals, yogurt and FRESH FRUIT. TA writers said there were few tables, but we counted eight plus overstuffed chairs--great for people not yet awake.
Rooms at the Ramada were clean, up to date and full of the expected amenities. For a family of four, the floor space was a bit tight, and I suspect that some families pushed their kids out into the hall for a good and noisy run. Front desk staff were pleasant, and gave us the info about breakfast on check in.
I guess the Royal Tyrell Museum is bringing in more tourists than Drumheller can handle. The Tourist Info Centre was not only helpful but fun. There's a large dinosaur that you can climb up inside and look at the view. It costs $10 per family, but is worth the burned out energy for the kids. Also a great photo op if you take photos of the family from the bottom, then another one from the top. The hotel is also helpful in burning energy with their waterslide and pool. It was crowded but orderly. Everyone was enjoying himself there. There are a lot of kids at the Ramada due to that pool, but a good thing to note is that they also burn out early, so the hotel is quiet after that. Do be sure to book ahead. They were full!
The Ramada is between the Hoo Doos--worth a visit at dusk with the changing light, but we didn't go at other times, so can't compare--and the Royal Tyrell Museum. Give them full marks for location! There are a number of fast food restaurants in the area, so if you plan for it, it's okay. Everything at seven had a wait time, but it wasn't impossible to find food. You just won't have to dress up for it. If you must have better quality food, drive back to Calgary and stay there, but if you are aware of the problem, you might even take advantage of the microwave/fridge, and sink in the room and bring a picnic supper.
WiFi worked the first day, but not the second. Television had many channels available, which pleased the kids.
We paid about $165 for a room with two queen beds and felt we got good value. No cots were available on check in, so if you need one, be sure they note that when you book. There's not really much room for that cot anyway in the two queen bed rooms, anyway!
All in all, a good stay.

• Liked — Clean, new, location to the Tyrell Museum, great breakfast
  • Disliked — a bit cramped room
  • Stayed August 2007
2 Thank VictoriaGardener
Manitoba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

We stayed at the Ramada in Drumheller for 2 nights in July with our young kids. The Ramada is beautifully decorated in a modern/natural fashion. The pool has a large water slide for the older kids and the pool is quite large. The Ramada provides a very good continental breakfast each morning complete with waffles, hard boiled eggs, yogurts, cereals, breads and bagels; much better than most continental breakfasts I've had at other hotels. The rooms are nicely decorated and clean with a decent sized bathroom. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family