“A wonderful experience”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Drumheller
Fort McMurray, Canada
“A wonderful experience”
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I had the opportunity to attend a company retreat at the Heartland in Drumheller. I was pleasantly surprised to find accommodations of this caliber which included a number of unique rooms which were all exquisitely decorated and charming filled with antiques and local art. My room was absolutely stunning with a comfortable bed, private bath, Jacuzzi tub and a private entrance. Adjacent to the dining area was a lounging room which was a great place for our group to congregate during down times (Thank you Patrice for the lovely fires built in the fireplace each evening). Breakfast, prepared by chef extraordinaire Zeke was absolutely delicious... the service excellent! The area around the hotel was equally charming and I was even offered a golf lesson by Zeke which I know will improve my game a great deal. Not only were we all welcomed and looked after, our host and hostess went out of their way to provide us with information and bookings for local restaurants, entertainment, etc. I would without hesitation recommend this Inn to my friends. Thank you Patrice and Zeke.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
fort mcmurray
Reviewed September 14, 2010

We booked the trip as a 3 day retreat to get away from our hectic work schedules and to get to know one another on a social basis. On our arrival Patrice greeded us in the most friendly manner. We felt welcome immiediately. Patrice and Zeke arranged all of our outings, i.e. golf, museum, dinner theatre and dinner reservations. All we had to do was show up. The rooms are quaint and cozy and Zeke's breakfasts are great. Thank you Patrice and Zeke, we had a lovely stay and would recommend your Inn to all of our friends and colleagues.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2010

My husband and I booked on very short notice a one night stay at the Heartwood Inn and Spa and what a treat it was. Zeke greeted us in such a friendly style that we immediately felt at home. He recommended a great Greek restaurant for dinner and then made our reservations for us. When we returned after dinner he invited us to come sit down and we had a lovely visit and learned a great deal about Drumheller. The Inn is old but beautifully decorated and so comfortable. Our bed was comfy and we slept well, the floors above squeak but we all were up at the same time so it made no difference to our sleep.
What a treat breakfast was also! Zeke makes fabulous french toast and we sat with other guests and ended up chatting for at least an hour after breakfast was done. Needless to say when we come back to Drumheller or send any of our friends, it will be to the Heartwood Inn and Spa.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Okotoks, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2010

My partner and I had a getaway to Drum in August and stayed at the Heartland. I did a lot of research prior to booking and this Inn seemed to be the best fit. As a surprise for my partner, I requested the 'romance package' to be added to our stay. When we arrived we were greeted and given a tour of the inn (lovely, by the way! local art and antiques). We were shown our room and left to ourselves. I had requested that the room be ready for our return from dinner (Athens, recommended by Zeke which was fantastic!) and when we arrived, the room was not prepped; no wine, no bubbles, no romance. Less than impressed, I immediately went to the front desk and asked what had happened. Zeke offered his apologies because they had completely missed it - lines of communication crossed, whatever. He gave us a complimentary bottle of wine. Unfortunately we were unable to have breakfast the next morning as well because Zeke was at a golfing event, so we were disappointed that we couldn't experience the food he was raving to us about.

Very disappointed, we checked out the next morning. Patrice offered apologies as well and we went on our way.

By noon that same day there was a phone call from the local florist on my answering machine - they had a delivery for us. It was a lovely arrangement from Patrice and Zeke with their apologies. We also received an email inviting us back for a complimentary stay, complete with romance package.

We returned from that stay yesterday, and our highest compliments go to Heartwood. We stayed in the main turret, were warmly greeted, returned to a fabulously romantic room after dinner (bubbles, wine, candles, music, chocolates, strawberries..YUM!) and enjoyed a stellar breakfast the next morning (definitely have the stuffed french toast - it's crazy good!).

Patrice and Zeke, thank you for facing and remedying the problem head on. We will stay with you again on our next golf trip, and have already recommended you to friends. Cheers!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed August 10, 2010

This was our first bed & breakfast stay and likely our last. The owner was charming and the location was good but the room we stayed in had one very tiny closet, no drawers to store anything in, the sink didn't drain, we were warned not to bang our heads on some awkward sharp walls that extended into the tub shower, and the place had a terrible mildew smell. We stayed in a very dark damp room. I didn't want to stay in a hotel in Drumheller because of the "dino themed" locations but I definitely will next time.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MariaVin
PatriceWolf, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2011
I want to thank this traveller who stayed in our Lower East room - for their review. I am thrilled to announce that in April 2011 we completely renovated this bathroom. When we purchased the hotel 6 years ago this bathroom was a challenge. It did have a poor design for a tub and so we replaced it with a beautiful custom made - walk in shower. The family will love it, and we have lots of guests who prefer just to jump into a shower. It is also better for the environment - uses much less water than the big jetted tubs. The odor problem went away with the bathtub and we installed a de-humidifier just in case. I hope on their next visit they are a little more impressed. So if you have kids or pets you'll want to check out this room. It currently is the most popular room in the house.
Edmonton, Ab, Ca
Reviewed July 21, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed in the cottage, even with the short notice in our booking the reservation was handled without a hitch. We traveled down for a quiet getaway and that is what we got. We stayed in The Cottage which was well appointed, clean, quiet and comfortable. The do serve breakfast for a small extra charge but it's worth it, the food was delicious. All in all a wonderful place to relax.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed July 19, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Inn for two nights over a July weekend. The location is ideal for exploring the downtown and surrounding river area on foot as well as to cap off your explorations with great food (Athens Restaurant was a recommendation of Zeke's which we were not disappointed with!)
The Inn is simply beautiful and the hospitality is outstanding. Immediately upon our arrival, Zeke was greeting us warmly and filling us in on the little secrets of the town and area. (He was absolutely correct on everything!) This was followed with a tour of the spectacular house which included some beautiful art created by local artists and a peek of the different (all luxurious!) guest rooms.
Our guest room was in the lower turret. It was a large, comfy yet cozy room with everything you could need or want. It was very quiet and the bed was heavenly!
My husband had one of Zeke's outstanding breakfasts (egg/portobello mushroom/asparagus) which he was thrilled with and we were very promptly (and very gratefully!) delivered thermoses of coffee in the morning when we called up for it.
The beauty of the Inn and the warmth (and knowledge of area and attractions!!!!!) from our hosts without a doubt made it a highlight of our visit to Drumheller!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple