“Charming and Friendly”

Heartwood Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Drumheller
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I surprised my other half with a romantic vacation at the Heartwood Inn.

We stayed in the pet friendly bungalow house. Though it wasn't very romantic, it was rustic and charming. Nothing fancy by any means.

The kitchen had cutlery, plates, glasses, an oven, full size fridge and a coffee maker. The bathroom was small but had a beautiful tub. It was clean for the most part ... our dog found a pair of someone else's boxers under the tub, we thought it was more funny than anything. There is also an iron and ironing board, supplied house coats, and slippers. Sleep quality was quite good, no house or road noise than kept us up all night or anything like that.

Lots of places to sleep, I believe they said it could sleep up to 6. Wifi in the house as well as satellite tv. The renovations were quite well done. We had our own parking stall and a huge yard with a fire pit to ourselves. 711 was right across the alley, which was very handy. The place over all was in a good location. Right in the middle of everything you would want to do in Drumheller.

I regret not making it over to the main house for a home cooked breakfast.

I also got a pedicure there and it was probably better than any I have got in Edmonton or Las Vegas. Again nothing fancy, a steel basin for a foot soaker etc... but oh my goodness the lady doing the pedicure was amazing. I would go again just for that in a heartbeat.

In summary, it was a lovely stay and I was so happy that I was able to bring my dogs along. I suggest that anyone planning to stay in Drumheller should consider staying at the Heartwood Inn.

Room Tip: I am not sure what the separate rooms are like in the house, but I would suggest getting a separate...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2014

I think your review is the most interesting one I've ever received. So thank you for it. The vacation bungalow would not be my first recommendation for a 'romantic getaway' - I generally would put families in there. However, I understand with pets you make romance where you can and the unit is pet friendly. And speaking of pets, the only "boxers" I ever want to find in that bathroom is a dog drinking out of the toilet. I passed on your review to my housekeeping staff. Enough said won't happen again. And thank you for your glowing comments about our herbalist Zoe Lynne who we are so grateful to have doing our pedicures. She was so thrilled to hear your feedback. We hope you and the kids - er dogs will come and see us again soon. Patrice Wolf

There are newer reviews for Heartwood Inn and Spa

Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights in the upper tower. Had a great stay. The room was very comfortable and clean. The king size bed was very comfortable and the room super quiet. The jet tub was nice after a long day of exploring the area. The hosts were very helpful with booking local attractions and had some great suggestions for things to see. Our second time here and we'll be back.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Mitmel
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2014

A true honour to be receiving 5 stars and such a nice review from a top contributor on Trip Advisor. Wow, I'm speechless. Thank you.

Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

After a 4hr drive from Waterton, Alberta it was awesome to hear the room was ready earlier before the check time stated. We were greeted with a smile and felt right at home straight away..

We were given information about what to do in town and then shown our room and a bit about the property. We had the upper torrent room with a king bed and jetted tub. The room was clean and very well presented.

We would stay here again....

Thankyou

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steele C

thanks for the kind review. That Upper Turret is very popular for those romantic getaways. cheers

Reviewed July 23, 2014

My mom and I had a lovely stay at the Heartwood Inn. We stayed in the Lower Turret as it had a king sized bed and the other rooms with multiple beds were already booked The space was large, clean, and pleasantly cool. To get to the Lower Turret room, you have to go down about 8 stairs, so that's something to keep in mind if you have mobility issues as you'd want to book a main floor room instead.

Zeke and Patrice were great hosts and super friendly. We had Zeke's stuffed French toast ($10/person/breakfast) and I overheard him saying he does make an omelet if you have a gluten allergy.

The Heartwood is in a great location as we visited the Tyrrell Museum and watched the Passion Play, which were both less than 10 minutes away. I look forward to staying there again the next time I'm visiting Drumheller.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank andh_19

Thank you so much we are glad we had a room available. Come and see us again soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I decided last minute to get away for a couple days. I called the Heartwood in the afternoon and we were in luck that with such short notice that the Upper Turret room was available for that night

Our stay was perfect! Patrice & Zeke and wonderfully friendly and accommodating! Breakfast was phenomenal, and the conversation with Zeke was welcomed and entertaining!

Thanks for everything! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank CoreyandLyndel

Reviewed July 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed 2 nights (too many) at the Heartwood Inn and Spa (the word "spa" is misused here, really !) in a cottage, an old renovated garage, with a very cold floor, humidity included and a bad mattress. Breakfast would have been fine if not for Herr Wolf (the owner and cook) who would come in the dining room every 5 minutes to interrupt the conversation we had with a couple of nice ladies. When he (Herr Wolf) heard our conversation about the oil sands, he proceeded to wag a finger, pointed at me, admonishing me for my opinion on the subject. I found this very disturbing and impolite on his part. As the owner, it is "NOT" his place to tell his guests what they should or should not believe in. As long as I am not talking to him, my personal opinions on any matter are none of his business. We will definitively "NOT" recommend this Inn.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Pachamimijava
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

I appreciate all reviews from our guests even the non complimentary ones. Your cottage was formerly a miners shack and it is the oldest structure on our property close to 100 years old. I'm sure back in the day the miners never dreamed the shack would be outfitted with maple flooring, a jacuzzi with rain shower, a fireplace, and air conditioning.
We have a few golden rules here at the Heartwood "tread lightly when discussing religion & politics". We have now added "the oil patch" to that list. A very important and vital industry to many of us Albertan's.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

First off I would like to personally thank Zeke and Patrice for making my wife’s surprise birthday weekend a remarkable success. Their playing along with the theme of one surprise after another made this a very special weekend that my wife says she will cherish forever. Their cooperation, advice, and helpfulness in planning and adjusting the packages they offer to accommodate my wishes went well above and beyond……..

The room was wonderfully attired and immaculate, the private entrance and deck off our room was a great place to relax and have breakfast. This added to our feeling of being right at home and the jet tub that was a great help with my stiff and sore muscles from our golf outings.

The play and dinner at the Rosebud Theater was a great way to finish off the weekend, earlier that day the spa treatment and massage they offer helped us both to relax and feel pampered before the night out (I would definitely encourage men to try the “athletic foot treatment”).

Zeke’s approach to golfing during his lessons was a tremendous help to my wife’s confidence and her new found abilities have greatly improved her game and enjoyment of it (I put 10 yds. on all my iron’s, increased my accuracy and confidence just by listening to him teach her!!)

Overall my wife and I had a wonderful and pleasurable time at the Heartwood Inn and would recommend the services and facilities to anyone wanting to spoil that someone special with a weekend away, or just wanting to enjoy and explore the many attractions that Drumheller and area have to offer

Thanks again for everything!

Bryce

PS… We are starting to talk about planning next year’s trip already….

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bryce S

Bryce, how can I thank you and Melva for your super over the top reviews. I am blushing even Zeke is blushing. You two were so much fun, Zeke got to play and talk golf all weekend, so he was happy. It is people like you who make this life of ours so satisfying. We hope you'll make this at least an annual trip but Rosebud has 4 or 5 performances a year so why wait for next years birthday. See you soon I hope.