“what a gem!”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Drumheller
Lloydminster, Canada
“what a gem!”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

February in Drumheller- not the usual time for most, I suspect! As driving by this charming inn, I knew that was the place I wanted to stay! I called up Zeke, and from the moment on the phone, we were engaged in an easy banter of humour. We stayed in the upper terrace- a cozy, bright room with a very comfortable bed, fire place and jacuzzi tub allowed some needed rejuvenation! Everyone was so accommodating arranging a day of spa treatments-what a treat to spend a late afternoon being pampered! Zeke and Patricia are a couple of genuine, lovely hosts. I highly recommend staying with them! We loved it so much, we stayed an extra night! Call and book ahead- we lucked out last minute- just the time of year. Don't miss out on this experience. Also! Zeke is the tour guide of the badlands! Seriously- he will give you a list of treasures you need to explore. I will be back for sure!

1 Thank amalee3p
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Please come back and see us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Cranbrook, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is the best place to stay in Drumheller, for that fact anywhere if you want to get away for some relaxation and for fun. We were wonderfully surprised! This is a beautiful Heritage Inn, all the rooms are uniquely different, but spacious, each room is beautifully decorated with all the little extras, all the modern conveniences, jet spa tubs, big screen TVs, etc, plus antique furniture, tables, and chests, etc.
This heritage home has been well loved and taken care of By Zeke and Patricia, the owners who are the most gracious hosts and went way out of their way to make sure all of us were comfortable and well taken care of. We felt like we were visiting our family, the ones you loved to see! There is nothing we could have wanted more, and definitely have been telling everyone we know of this quiet gem.
All 12 of us were in awe. Yes, 12, Zeke had faith that 7 teenage boy basketball players would be respectful of his beautiful inn, he knew they had no place to stay while in town for a basketball tournament so went out of his way to accommodate the team. Even these boys loved the place, and were very respectful of the Inn and their cottage, which was so cozy and inviting with real hardwood floors a 2 sided fire place, a large jacuzzi tub, kitchen, even a dishwasher. We all look forward to coming back, thanks Zeke and Patricia!

Room Tip: There are a variety of room types, tell Zeke or Patricia what type of trip you are having and they w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PearlSinger
Zeke was so happy to be able to talk basketball for the weekend! We enjoyed having your team stay with us and appreciate your flattering review. We'd love to have you back anytime.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The Heartwood is a cozy little spot. The rooms are nice, the owners were friendly and accomodating and the building was cozy and charming. My wife and I decided to go for some spa treatments (Massage and pedicure) and they were fantastic. It was a very relaxing staycation.

Some minor things that prevented it from getting 5/5 from me. We got a Jaccuzi suite only to find no hot water when we wanted to fill it up, and we were told at check in that their famous french toast would be offered at breakfast (for an extra $10), only to find out the next morning that it wasn't. It was busy that weekend, so that may have something to do with both issues. I would still stay there again.

2 Thank BrWayne
Hi and thank you for your review. I know people value the opinions of Senior contributors- so I am thrilled you would stay with us again. My apologies for no hot water - in the 7 years we've run the Hotel this is only the second time we've had that complaint. And I suspect I was short staffed in February and couldn't handle breakfast. Next time you stay, please remind me and our French Toast breakfast is on me!
best regards,
Patrice Wolf owner
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Heartwood over the Family Day weekend. I have nothing but good things to say about this cozy Inn. We were greeted by a friendly face....one that we saw the whole stay. We felt very welcomed and at home....not always the case if you stay at a chain hotel. As we were showed our room (Upper East) and how everything worked, I couldn't help but think that the pictures on the website didn't do justice to the actual room. We immediately felt at home and new we would have a fabulous weekend relaxing. When it came time for dinner, we got a great recommendation, which we happily followed. Zeke certainly knows his stuff when it comes to where to eat in Drumheller. For our second day, we had booked a horse drawn carriage ride, which was recommended to us by Patrice. It was fabulous. Norma took us on a great ride down by the river and then back through the town. She made sure we were nice and warm with extra blankets and feet warmers. We highly recommend this as a romantic add-on to a stay. Breakfast was amazing...especially Zeke's French toast!! We felt at home here and will happily suggest the Heartwood as a place to stay for anyone we know who is going to Drumheller.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank mlr6
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your very nice review of the Heartwood. You are correct that we are a family run hotel and Zeke or myself are here to look after guests needs. I will pass along your regards to Norma who offers carriage rides around Drumheller and through our river front park. Hope to see you again soon. Patrice Wolf owner/operator
Okotoks, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My girlfriend surprised me this valentine's day by taking me to the Heartwood Inn and Spa and I have only great things to say.

We arrived at the hotel in the late afternoon, and were kindly greeted. We were shown our room and all of it's amenities, and then headed to a local restaurant that was suggested to us by the hotelier. The dinner was awesome, and upon arriving back at the hotel I found that my girlfriend had arranged for the jacuzzi to be run with lit candles, with roses, a bottle of wine and some chocolates waiting for us. The hotel did an awesome job keeping the surprise, and the room looked amazing. Definitely a great experience for a guy who's never had a real surprise in his life.

Overall I really enjoyed the stay thanks to the wonderful staff and beautiful room. I look forward to returning again in the future.

1 Thank Kevan C
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We just had a business retreat at the Heartwood Inn and I can't say enough about this charming place. The owners are so accommodating, the rooms are beautiful and the food was fabulous. It is a perfect place for a business retreat or just a relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room in the Inn
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Catherine W
Edmonton
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We had such a fantasic stay here just after Christmas 2012. The rooms are better then they look in the site pictures and the hosts are marvelous and on top of all the little details. Everything about our stay was wonderful here right down to our couples chocolate pedicures

Room Tip: We atayed in the Upper Turret Room and it was amazing
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple