“Cozy and quaint”

Heartwood Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Drumheller
“Cozy and quaint”
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Heartwood over the Family Day weekend. I have nothing but good things to say about this cozy Inn. We were greeted by a friendly face....one that we saw the whole stay. We felt very welcomed and at home....not always the case if you stay at a chain hotel. As we were showed our room (Upper East) and how everything worked, I couldn't help but think that the pictures on the website didn't do justice to the actual room. We immediately felt at home and new we would have a fabulous weekend relaxing. When it came time for dinner, we got a great recommendation, which we happily followed. Zeke certainly knows his stuff when it comes to where to eat in Drumheller. For our second day, we had booked a horse drawn carriage ride, which was recommended to us by Patrice. It was fabulous. Norma took us on a great ride down by the river and then back through the town. She made sure we were nice and warm with extra blankets and feet warmers. We highly recommend this as a romantic add-on to a stay. Breakfast was amazing...especially Zeke's French toast!! We felt at home here and will happily suggest the Heartwood as a place to stay for anyone we know who is going to Drumheller.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank mlr6
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your very nice review of the Heartwood. You are correct that we are a family run hotel and Zeke or myself are here to look after guests needs. I will pass along your regards to Norma who offers carriage rides around Drumheller and through our river front park. Hope to see you again soon. Patrice Wolf owner/operator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Okotoks, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My girlfriend surprised me this valentine's day by taking me to the Heartwood Inn and Spa and I have only great things to say.

We arrived at the hotel in the late afternoon, and were kindly greeted. We were shown our room and all of it's amenities, and then headed to a local restaurant that was suggested to us by the hotelier. The dinner was awesome, and upon arriving back at the hotel I found that my girlfriend had arranged for the jacuzzi to be run with lit candles, with roses, a bottle of wine and some chocolates waiting for us. The hotel did an awesome job keeping the surprise, and the room looked amazing. Definitely a great experience for a guy who's never had a real surprise in his life.

Overall I really enjoyed the stay thanks to the wonderful staff and beautiful room. I look forward to returning again in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kevan C
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We just had a business retreat at the Heartwood Inn and I can't say enough about this charming place. The owners are so accommodating, the rooms are beautiful and the food was fabulous. It is a perfect place for a business retreat or just a relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room in the Inn
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Catherine W
Edmonton
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We had such a fantasic stay here just after Christmas 2012. The rooms are better then they look in the site pictures and the hosts are marvelous and on top of all the little details. Everything about our stay was wonderful here right down to our couples chocolate pedicures

Room Tip: We atayed in the Upper Turret Room and it was amazing
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jus1983
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I have been put up in three hotels in Drum over the years while playing music and doing sound production. When you are finished at 4 or so in the morning, it is very important to have a comfortable room to come back to and get some well earned sleep. This was the most sound sleep I have ever imagined that I could ever have. Of the hundreds of hotels, band houses, motels and band gear in the back of the van that I have ever slept on.(over the 26 years playing music)... it was the most pleasant experience. The stories from the owner and his French toast in the morning were equally fantastic. Noel R Snow. Author, Musician, Chief Cook and bottle washer. Snow Sound. Snow Sound Studio. Snow Construction, Author of (Etiquette of Jamming.) Alberta. AB.

1 Thank NoelRSnow
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Quiet rooms is what we are known for. It's not the rooms but the guestss that are quiet. We appeal to adults so you're not likely to ever see a hockey team booked here. I hope you'll come and see us again.
Brooks, Canada
Reviewed November 22, 2012

From the moment You walk in the front door Your mood totally changes.The whole place is very unique and spectacular.The Hosts are beyond words.I am going to someday rent the whole place and have an Inclusive Family Stay there.The rooms are out of this world and all different.The breakfast is the best french toast I have ever had.All the other extras are a bonus.The Cook,Zeke shares life experiences which are Funny and interesting.You could sit there all day.It took us an Hour and a half to remove Our butts out of there.Sure could have stayed longer if We didn't all have to go home.I have recommended The stay there to several people all week.I no for sure My next stay in Drumheller will definately be at The Heartwood Inn.Hopefully will have time to enjoy The Spas..I also would like to say,I complimented them on the smell of the bedding.It was so fresh smelling.No bleach or detergent smells.Didn't want to get up.

Room Tip: We stayed on bottom floor,very private.All the rooms look wonderful
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Darlene, thank you for your wonderful review. Of all the people who come to the Heartwood I think family or friends taking the entire hotel for themselves is the absolute best use! Spending the weekend in bathrobes getting spa treatments, enjoying a fire in the lounge or the outdoor version in the yard, lingering over breakfast and our never ending pots of coffee - who wouldn't enjoy that!
Thank you for mentioning our linens. We are very careful to use sensitive detergents and we avoid heavy scented anything. We once got a negative review for using a "Scentsy" room freshener in our spa - now we just keep everything natural. We also change our blankets between every guest - did you know some hotels only change the bed blankets weekly! I don't know about other people and other hotels, but my guests want 'fresh' blankets. And that's what they get.
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Both the Heartwood Inn and Us (Netty Mac Band/Train) crossed paths as a result of each of us donating our services to the East Coulee School Museum Live Heat Fundraiser in Mid November. When I pulled up to the Inn I was very impressed by the appearance of the property and excited as it seemed to be very authentic in that I felt as though I had been taken back in time. As it turns out, the property is in excess of 100 years old. As soon as I walked through the front door, I turned back to everyone and advised that it was a must to return to do a video and a photo-shoot in the foyer. It was not enough that the first impression upon entrance was amazing, but then we were greeted by one of the owners: Zeke. As soon as he spoke it was as though we had known him our entire lives and truly, it did not feel as though we were very far from home.

Zeke proceeded to give us a tour of the rooms to allow us to make choices and decide whom would stay in which room; which were all completely different from each other! Every corner, hallway, bathroom, every inch was pristine both in cleanliness and arrangement/ambiance. I had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the nostalgic trip through the halls and the pieces of furniture chosen for each unique room. The entire Netty Mac Train then elected to take in the morning breakfast (Zeke and Patrice had boasted to be the "best French Toast" anywhere!) whereby we all sat at this large table and were completely pampered by Zeke as our wonderful host that truly lived up to their word! The setting, the little extras, the service were all outstanding to put it mildly and indeed paled in comparison to the infamous French Toast! WOW! I won't wreck the surprise as to what made it so unique and decadent - you will have to sit at their table to find out for yourself.

We travel to Drumheller often to perform and I will now ensure that I contact Zeke and Patrice well enough in advance to book our rooms at their Heartwood Inn & Spa. The rooms and service were 5 star all the way and the ambiance and personality of the owners were bar-none to any other in my previous travels. I highly recommend the Heartwood and can say with conviction that the experience lives up to the Inn name! There is indeed a great deal of heart put into not only the physical environment but also the owners interaction with YOU.

Room Tip: I received a tour of all of the rooms and have to say that there is not a bad room to choose from. T...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Netty Mac, you are the BEST! Thank you so much for your very kind review. We all want to help the East Coulee School Museum raise funds for their much needed Furnace replacement. Yes, the days of coal are gone in Drumheller, but the history and community still exists in the walls of the school - tens of thousands of dollars are needed to transform an old coal fired furnace with a new energy efficient model that will allow them to open year round. I think ou are playing Spring Fest, I hope you'll stay with us again. hugs Patrice