“Get a reservation here first in Fort Saskatchewan”

The Kanata by BCMInns
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Fort Saskatchewan
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Been staying here for a few weeks now on a business trip.

For a small hotel I expected sub standard service. Not the case here.

The staff has always been professional (and I think they may actually try to live up to the smiley face logo, because they're usually very friendly). They keep the rooms clean, and replace shampoo and soap bottles every day. I had a few complaints about the A/C and heating and they had the problems corrected within an hour.

The breakfast and dinner is great too!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't look over the front entrance. Everyone who smokes hangs out in front...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
MusgravesHospInns, General Manager at The Kanata by BCMInns, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you for your Review. I’m glad we have been able to exceed your expectations, and resolved your issue with the temperature control system promptly. Musgrave’s Hospitality Inns & Suites is privately owned, and not affiliated with any other hotel chains. This means we have flexibility in meeting our guests’ needs and every member of our team is willing and able to assist a guest in any manner. We’re happy you’ve enjoyed your stay so far and look forward to continuing to exceed your expectations.

Jana Rowe

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Hotel was great. The staff were pleasant, and very helpful. The staff helped to give a almost "homely" feel. Rooms were spotless, and had a simple, clean decor. Beds were quite comfortable, not too firm or too soft. Stayed in the Jacuzzi suite. There was a wonderful steam shower too. The bath amenities are provided by Bath and Body Works. The free internet had good reception throughout. In room air conditioning was adjustable to each portion of the suite, coped very well with the heat (30+ during my stay), though was a little noisy. The room is equipped with blackout blinds and is well insulted from noise, a little miracle for people who are accustomed to shift work. Arrived Thursday night where they had a steak buffet, which was reasonably priced and worth the money. The included breakfasts were simple and plain, didn't leave you feeling too "heavy" to start the day. The only negatives were that I had a defective lamp in the lounge and TV in the bedroom. Both were repaired in short time by the hotel. Internet, while free, left a bit more desired on the "high speed" side. The location is down the road from a hospital, however I never heard a noise from there, and gives quick access to most area's of Fort Saskatchewan. The parking was all outside, and while plentiful, no form of a protected or covered parking is offered

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
MusgravesHospInns, Guest Services Representative at The Kanata by BCMInns, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you for making us your first Trip Advisor Review!
All of our staff members are dedicated to making our guests feel at home in Alberta’s hartland. Every one of our rooms features a luxurious Simmons Beauty Rest World Class Bouveat Island Plush Pillow Top Mattress for maximum comfort and our Guest Services Agents take great care to accommodate guests with special sleep needs, whether it’s shift work or a very light sleeper. It’s not very often that we have difficulty with our electronics, but I’m happy to hear that we were able to repair them promptly to your satisfaction.
Our Steak Night Buffet is usually our busiest evening buffet, and for good reason! For a reasonable price you get a AAA Alberta Beef Steak cooked to order, baked potatoes, veggies, a variety of salads and dessert! On regular evenings, our buffet is just as reasonably priced and the menu changes every night. Not staying with us? That’s alright, our dinner buffets are open to the public, we just ask that large groups call ahead.
Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Guest Services Representative

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have stayed at the Hospitality Inn in Fort Sask several times and have been more impressed each occasion, I found it to be very professional with a very friendly but not invasive twist that I and my family enjoy. Very helpful on several occasions when it was required, they went well beyond what one would expect from a hotel. I will be using this hotel for all of my visits to the Edmonton area. Kudo's to all the staff.

Room Tip: Love the fourth floor. Just saying!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you for your review. A large part of what we do here every day, is try to make our guests feel welcome and at home, and it’s great to hear that we are achieving our goals. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon as Edmonton and Fort Saskatchewan come alive with the summer festivals.

Guest Services Representative

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Was pleasantly surprised. I was in Fort Sask for business and ended up at the Hospitality Suites. The bed was very comfy and the room was spacious and nicely decorated. The complimentary breakfast had tons of choices and lots of healthy and hot choices which is nice for a breakfast buffet. It is in a good location by several restaurants in town. The staff was friendly and helpful. My only complaint was that the Internet was quite slow.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank kcmcg
MusgravesHospInns, Guest Services Representative at The Kanata by BCMInns, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Thank you for your review. Our full Hot Heartland Breakfast Buffet is designed to cater to all of our guests, including those with special dietary needs. Our breakfast is stocked with several gluten free options, as well as choices for our vegetarians and meatlovers alike.
We were having an issue with the connectivity of our internet. Fortunately, this issue has been resolved, and the internet is up and running at lightspeed.
Thank you once again for your review, your input is helping us fine tune our services and allowing us to continually evolve to serve our guests better. We look forward to accommodating you again, and to improving on your experience with us and our facilities.

Guest Services

Reviewed April 10, 2012

If I have to stay in Fort Saskatchewan ever again, this is where I'll come! As manager of my son's Midget (age 15-17) hockey team, I had to choose a place to stay (February 2012) that would satisfy about 40 players and parents while we were up there for a tournament. This hotel was fantastic! The rooms were very nicely appointed with quality finishes, furniture and in virtually new condition. Very clean, as well. The beds were heaven to sleep in - my kids wanted to buy one!

Upon check-in (we were on a bus, so you can imagine the herd that suddenly filled the lobby), we arrived to find the paperwork pre-arranged and ready for us - all we needed to do was present our credit cards and sign the form. Very efficient! And the staff were very helpful and pleasant throughout our stay... Our team was given access to a couple of small closets to store the hockey equipment in, which was super for the players so that it could at least partially dry and be warm - rather than frozen in the belly of the bus.

The head of the catering/food services (Lesley) was excellent in ensuring we were well taken care of. She contacted me in advance of the weekend to find out our schedule so that enough food and staff were available when we needed it. There were three teams in this hotel that weekend, in addition to regular guests, and she did a fantastic job of putting out an amazing spread of food for everyone. This is by far the best and most varied "included-in-the-price" breakfast buffet I've had in a long time. It is clearly a point of pride for this hotel. The dinner buffet (on your own dime) was also very good, though we only used it on our first evening.

Despite the number of hockey teams being hosted, the hotel was very quiet. They have a strict policy around expected behavior, and we never had a problem with noise or any incidents of any kind. As for amenities, each room had a small fridge and a microwave, as well as a coffee machine. The one thing I found unusual was that the rooms did not have a DVD player, so watching a movie was out - unless you found something on television. Wi-Fi was available in-room, and there are two workstations with a printer avaialable by the front desk. The work-out room is small, but with a few good pieces of equipment. The hot tub really only holds about 3 people - there is no pool, so if that is important, you will have to go elsewhere.

I found the hotel's location to be very good for our needs. At the back of the hotel is access to a shopping centre - easy walking distance to Staples,WalMart, Canadian Tire, Safeway/Starbucks, Subway, a liquor store and a Boston Pizza - as well as several other small shops. We used the Boston Pizza to eat at one night, and it also gave the parents a 'sports bar' to go to for a drink in the evening (the hotel doesn't have this type of facility). Almost next door tothe hotel's entrance is a sporting goods store (Play It Again??) with skate sharpening services, for those who need it. Within sight of the hotel but a bit further away (maybe a 5-min walk) is a Tim Horton's, McDonalds, A&W, KFC/Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and a Humpty's.

In the end, this was a perfect choice for us. Many of our parents commented on what a pleasant surprise this hotel had been for them - I couldn't agree more!

Room Tip: Both sides fo the hotel are quiet
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lostcanuck_99
MusgravesHospInns, General Manager at The Kanata by BCMInns, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Thank you for the review. Every staff member is involved in the arrival of large groups, and they all play an integral role. Our phenomenal housekeeping staff ensures that rooms are ready and available as close together as possible for your arrival, our amazing kitchen staff makes sure that everyone is well fed and nobody misses out on their morning coffee and our fantastic guest services staff make checking in smooth and effortless, no matter the size of your group.

Nothing keeps us busier in the winter and spring months than a hotel full of young Gretzky’s and there’s almost nothing that we like to see more. We offer all kinds of services to our guests. We have several secure storage spaces available for gear (be it hockey, ringette, ski or snowboard or even bikes) as well as a limited quantity of DVD players available for guests to borrow at the front desk.

We look forward to seeing you, your son and the rest of the team here again next year.

Jana Rowe

Reviewed March 24, 2012

Stayed her with my daughter and two sisters, had a great , fun time. Rooms were clean, spacious, nice decor. Front desk was friendly and efficient. They serve a buffet supper each night and the complimentary breakfast buffet was awesome.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank married78
Reviewed March 23, 2012

The first time we stayed at a Hospitality Inn was for our wedding in July 2010 in Lloydminster. Our guest stayed there as well. The staff there were easy to deal with. I've heard stories where some people have issues dealing with their hotel, reservations getting lost or guests having issues booking under the correct wedding. I heard no complaints from our wedding guest and we weren't the only wedding they had that weekend either. Our room was great! The steam shower was lovely and the jacuzzi tub was great after a long day in heels. We also had our own kitchen. Too bad we left for our honeymoon the next day and we couldn't stay and enjoy the amenities longer.

But we won't be staying in a jacuzzi suite you say? That's ok

The second time we stayed at a Hospitality Inn was in March 2012 for one week (we are from Fort McMurray and we had a death in the family). By this time we had a 9 month old. We were just as impressed. The quality of materials they use are top of the line from their bathroom counters, to their amazing beds.

THE BED and PILLOWS: We had a king sized bed with lots of very comfortable pillows (I'm picky about my pillows and these were wonderful). If you still want more pillows than what they have out on the bed, they had one in the drawers. Their bedding was buttery soft just like my baby's skin. The mattress was very supportive but not rock hard thanks to the wonderful pillow top. After a long day, if your body falls on the bed, expect not to get up until the next day.

THE SERVICE: One day they didn't have any decaf coffee left on the counter. When I asked a staff if they had any more in the back, they informed me that one of their coffee makers was not working so they were not able to make their decaf coffee. I was fine with not having my decaf that day so I continued with my breakfast; I could just make my own upstairs with the complimentary coffee. The staff apparently were determined that I would have my decaf with my breakfast. I swear they had three or more people running around finding a way for me to have my cup of decaf! So I had my decaf that morning with my breakfast. Now that's service!

THE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST: One of the best continental breakfasts we've had. They always had eggs (they rotate the kinds of eggs they prepare so you're not always having scrambled eggs). During the 7 days we ate breakfast there they also had sausages, ham, bacon and pancakes. Their hashbrowns were always great! The waffle maker is also popular if you're not already full from all the other food. Waffles batter is available is single servings so the waffle is always fresh. There are fresh fruits (great for my nine month old), muffins, bagels, toast, cereals, etc.

THE SIZE of the ROOM: With the king sized bed, my daughter still had room to crawl around and explore.

THE TOILETRIES: We've stayed in many hotels where we don't use their toiletries because they are just awful. The Bath and Body Works that the Hospitality Inn have in their rooms worked beautifully (I have very long hair that MUST have conditioner).

THE FLATSCREEN: Positioned just right so that your eyes aren't strained when you watch tv in comfy bed. Great selections of channels and movie channels. Some hotels make you pay for movies, not here.

THE WIRELESS INTERNET: The connection was great and I was able to do what I needed done.

THE SNACK AREA: We didn't have a room with a kitchen this time but we still had a mini fridge and a microwave. Great for keeping snacks for our little munchkin

THE BATHROOM: The shower has good pressure, toilet doesn't wake the sleeping when you flush it, love the counter, towels were always readily available (we couldn't use them all fast enough before they were replenished with fresh ones).

THE LOCATION: The Hospitality Inn in Fort Saskatchewan is in a great location close to grocery stores and a Walmart. We got a flat tire so my husband just took it to the Fountain Tire across the street and came back for breakfast, no need to wait at Fountain Tire.

CLEANLINESS: Excellent, beds were made everyday even if we didn't ask. Towels were replenished everyday as well.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE: Great. Staff were friendly, attentive and excellent. Would stay in any of the Hospitality Inns again. Great find!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dia B
MusgravesHospInns, Guest Service Agent at The Kanata by BCMInns, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Your story about the decaf is not just one of the staff going above and beyond but something that we strive to do for every guest on a regular basis. We care that our guests enjoy their stay with us, and if that means running out and buying a new coffee maker, then that's what we'll do. Thank you for such a thorough review. I am sure that the travelers using Trip Advisor will find your review very useful.

Matthew
Guest Services

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Saskatchewan
Hampton Inn by Hilton Fort Saskatchewan
Hampton Inn by Hilton Fort Saska...
#2 of 11 in Fort Saskatchewan
Southfort Inn
Southfort Inn
#9 of 11 in Fort Saskatchewan
Best Western Plus Fort Saskatchewan Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Fort Saskatche...
#1 of 11 in Fort Saskatchewan
Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Fort Saskatchewan
Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Su...
#4 of 11 in Fort Saskatchewan
Comfort Inn & Suites Fort Saskatchewan
Comfort Inn & Suites Fort Saskat...
#5 of 11 in Fort Saskatchewan
Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
#13 of 93 in Edmonton

Been to The Kanata by BCMInns? Share your experiences!