“suprised at $150 deposit!”

Western Budget Motel Leduc #1
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Leduc
alberta
“suprised at $150 deposit!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We like to use this hotel prior to flying from YEG.
The rooms are basic, clean and comfortable. However, this time my credit card was pre-auth'd for $150 deposit, pus the room charges for 2 rooms ...so it ended up being $500 in pre-auth's charges.
I fail to see why a deposit needs to be charged.. I do not get charged a deposit when I eat at a restaurant or enter a store! Granted, there is always a risk of dishonesty, but that sadly, is just the nature of any business!
Thankfully, there is a new Marriott being built on airport property, and we won't need to use the western budget anymore!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank vicky66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2012

My family and I have stayed numerous times with the various Western Budgets around the Edmonton Airport and have never been disappointed. The staff are always friendly, the service is fast. Dependable airport service as well.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Trvn
Glendon,Ab
Reviewed May 17, 2012

The girls at the front desk were very helpful with getting us to the airport with shuttle and returning.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hinton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We have used the Western Budget #2 quite frequently in the past but after our last stay we will NEVER return!! I made our reservation 2 weeks ahead of time and told them it would be a late check in as our flight returned at midnight. I had also asked how to get a $59.00 room and was told they don't offer that rate on weekdays, only on weekends. Well, I have stayed there many weekends and have never seen that rate. It's false advertising! When we were checking in on this occasion, we asked for a ground level floor because of our heavy suitcases and no elevators but there were none available. Whatever, so we went to our room and there was a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. Figuring maybe someone just went by and hung it there, I tried our keys. Well thank goodness they didn't work but the front desk clerk happened to be coming down the hallway at the time and we told him about the sign and that our keys didn't work. He happened to have the master key and said he would let us in and get us new keys. Well he removed the sign and opened the door and we could hear someone say HELLO!! This was at 1:15am! There was someone checked into the room already!! When we had first checked in we were told they were sold out of rooms so I had said to the front desk clerk I had hoped they had one more. He responded with, he could find me one. We finally were able to check in at about 1:45am. The room was filthy and the linens were disgusting. My husband mentioned to front desk the next morning while checking out what had happened at our check in. The front desk staff seemed very nonchalant on our issues. He was just told that they will look into it. Well a little late for that!! They didn't offer a discount or apology. I stopped by as we were leaving the hotel and said it was very unprofessional the way the situation was handled and wanted to speak to the manager. Well the man and woman that were at the front desk said they were the managers. I again spoke of our complaint and told them it was obsurd that they handled it with a "Whatever" attitude. They pretty much just argued their case so I turned around and walked out. My husband & I along with our 2 kids had just stayed there a few weeks before that before and after our flights to Mexico and had a dirty room then too. They put us on the second floor then too and we had 4 huge suitcases to lug up the stairs. It didn't seem to matter to the strange guy at the front desk. He happened to be the one that checked us in on all 3 of our stays. I guess we should have learned from our stay when we went to Mexico that this is a nasty place but thought we'd give it another chance. NEVER AGAIN WILL WE STAY THERE OR RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE!! The surrounding hotels, some of which look quite nice, are only $10 - $20 more per night which is well worth it. (We have been staying at this motel for several years and have seen it go downhill)

Room Tip: There are none.
4 Thank Jennifer M
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Our family stayed at the Western Budget #2 located at 8230 Sparrow Drive as they own 2 other Western budget motels in the same area. Pros of this motel - affordable rates, close to the airport, accessible from the highway, free wifi, free continental breakfast, free coffee & tea in the rooms. Located near Tim Hortons, restaurants & gas stations. Spacious and clean rooms with 2 double beds, came with a fridge, kettle and TV. Swimming pool clean and well maintained. Front desk staff checking in and out were very friendly, professional and helpful. Continental breakfast open from 6 am to 10 am.

Cons of this hotel - no microwave in the room, beds hard & uncomfortable, pillows small, motel is outdated, complimentary breakfast very basic (muffins, toast, cereal, coffee, milk, juice, hot chocolate) and not appetizing. Definitely a motel so don't have high expectations from this place. Would not recommend it for families. The motel seems to cater more to business people and people working the oil & gas industry. Only good for a 1 or 2 night stay would not recommend a longer stay.

Motel takes a damage deposit so expect them to take get a pre-authorization amount from your credit card company. They do return it if you keep your room free from damages.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not too close the pool and breakfast area (it can be noisy).
1 Thank Marites8
Mazatlan
Reviewed April 5, 2012

The hotel is basic , reasonable prices, includes shuttles both to and from the airport and a basic free breakfast

Room Tip: The hotel is a 2 storey walk up no elevator , so choose the main floor if you have a lot of luggage
2 Thank Mazmurray
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Stay at #3 Western Budget about 6 times a year. Love it. Great value for money. Clean and roomy and ..... SMOKE FREE, good shuttle service to and from airport. Left vest behind after catching super early flight last week. Jim (front desk) made sure it was shipped home promptly. I do not recall being asked to sign a statement saying I will not do drugs. Just tobacco. If asked, I would not object. I am not discounting the critique posted but I am surprised and I am wondering if #3 would have given a better experience. Finally, had a good meal at the nearby restaurant (now reopened).

Room Tip: Go to site #3
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo