“Good except for the train whistle”

Holiday Inn Express Edmonton International Airport
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Nisku
Western Canada
“Good except for the train whistle”
Reviewed April 30, 2009

Good location for the airport and auction yard. Clean rooms but price a little steep. Be aware that there are at least 2 trains per night that whistle outside the hotel. It will wake you up.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed April 7, 2009

Very friendly staff (especially the breakfast lady) and very nice rooms. Well looked after and very clean hotel. Definitely will be staying here again whenever I visit Edmonton.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank CaseyCasem
Ontario
Reviewed March 20, 2009

The Holiday Inn Express is the closest hotel to Edmonton International Airport. It has lots to offer. Lots of parking, pool, hot tub, fitness centre, free breakfast, wireless internet etc.

The hotel has recently expanded. The new section is very nice, and well kept. The rooms are larger than those in the older section.

Beds are comfortable, and plenty of work space in the rooms.

Be warned that the hotel is just a few feet away from a busy train track. If you are a light sleeper, this may not be the hotel of choice for you. On the plus side, the hotel offers you ear plugs for sleeping.

You are very limited on meal options in the area. It's about a twenty minute drive towards Edmonton before you see restaurants.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank blackriverexplorer
Alberta
Reviewed January 27, 2009

I'm a "Priority Club" member and really have enjoyed the "Express" chain over the years with the great breakfast every morning and decent room rates. Times have changed. I'm going to Hawaii and my stay near the Edmonton International airport is costing more than a night in Waikiki. I'm actually writing this review from the room right now. Many times in the past I have loyally stayed here for the following reasons.

1. Great value for the price of the room
2. Free parking for a week and shuttle to Airport
3. Flexible checkout times since it's an airport Hotel

Last night we checked in at 11 PM since we had to drive 6 hours after work to get here from home. Now we have to check out by noon (no compromise, we asked) and our flight leaves at 3:45. Parking is now costing me $35 for the week and the Room was $150. In the end I'm paying over $200 for 13 hours in a room and unsecured parking for a week in one of the least dense areas in the country.

It's not as amazing and wonderful as it used to be, and I will no longer be staying here or recommending it to friends like I have over the years. I'll be trying a new place next time.

Thanks for the Memories "Holiday Inn Express", you used to be a good friend.

• Liked — Proximity to Airport.
  • Disliked — Staff attitudes and prices.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed December 26, 2008

I should start by saying that we have stayed at this hotel before and have never had any serious issues. We have family in the area and so we often stay in between Edmonton and Leduc, in order to be close to everyone. We thought we knew what to expect with this chain and previously have found our room to be comfortable and relatively clean and the location good. We arrived on December 23rd for a two night stay. We checked in without any issues and then proceeded up to our room. Once in our room I felt like the room smelled somewhat 'stale', I went to check the washroom and thought there appeared to be a small stain on the hand towel laying next to the sink. I decided to just change the towel and look past it, as sometimes bleach will only get out so much. We then turned on the tv to check the weather forecast. Our tv remote initially worked but after a minute it froze and we couldn't get it working again. I called to the front desk and was told "bring it down and we'll exchange it". I asked "we're meant to come down"? I was told yes, we had to come down and they'd give us a different one. My husband returned with the 'new remote' and that one didn't work either. Another call to the front desk was met with an annoyed clerk who said she'd have to go take one from another room and then she'd bring it to us. Within a few minutes she did bring us a new remote and this one appeared to work. I was frusterated with our start at the hotel but thought I'd feel better once I unpacked and had a bit of a rest before heading out for the evening. After unpacking, I pulled back the bedding all the way to the bottom of the bed and it was clear that the bedding had not been changed (still imprints of the mattress in the sheets) and to top it off there were dark stains on the top sheet. Feeling now completely disgusted I called down to the front desk and asked that someone come up to our room as there were problems we needed to point out. Shortly after hanging up the phone it rang again and appeared to be the senior front desk person on the line asking my husband what the problem was. He explained to her that there were problems with the room, the sheets appeared dirty and he wanted someone to come talk to us about it. She told him that we should COME DOWN TO THE FRONT DESK. He asked her why we would pack up everything and do that. She replied that no we didn't have to pack anything up, just come get a new key and we can move things to a new room on the same floor. There was no offer of checking the room out first, helping us with our luggage, compensation for our inconvenience...nothing. He hung up the phone and we just looked at each other in disbelief. We promptly called over to another hotel and found a room there and packed our belongings. Once we got down to the front desk, the clerk saw that we had our luggage and said loudly " I told you you didn't have to pack ". There were other guests checking in as this was happening and our intent of keeping this a private matter between us and the hotel was lost. Had someone come up to our room and even bothered to care what the problem was we could have discussed it there. Why I even cared if the hotel staff was embarrassed or why we tried to protect the reputation of the hotel I'm not sure, as it was clear they didn't care and they weren't concerned about how we felt in this situation. I spent two relatively sleepless nights at the next hotel thinking about those sheets and I hope this review (my first ever) might save someone else the awful experience we had here.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank oceanbaby2
Alberta
Reviewed November 10, 2008

We booked a room here after finding out that all the rooms in Edmonton were booked due to the CFR being in town.

I always contact the hotel directly which has proven in the past to prevent us from having lost reservations or problems, so this is how we booked our room. I found the front desk staff to be quite curt over the phone. Once she even interrupted me while I was talking. But that is fairly minor. When we showed up we arrived quite late so we checked in with the night staff and she turned out to be pleasant.

We booked a Kids Suite and it was very clean. We were told the bed was a Queen but it seemed more like a double. It was plenty comfy though, no problems there. My teens were amused by the Sesame Street themed wallpaper. They said their bunk beds were surprisingly comfy and I did see that there were nice thick mattresses on their beds. It was nice that they had their own TV and separate space.

As for the trains - it is definitely within close proximity to them so I agree with the other reviewers - you may want to consider a different location (meaning right out of Nisku) if you are a light sleeper. I didn't hear the train at all, but my husband was woken up and he said he felt the rumbling from the train. He wasn't bothered by it but it is definitely a factor to consider. We did not see any "complimentary earplugs" like some of the other reviewers had.

We can't comment on the pool or other sevices as we arrived too late to use them.

The breakfast the next morning was pretty good - although I once again had to deal with a curt staff member (I wondered if it was the same lady who booked my room as she had the same curt way of talking). I like to take my breakfast back to the room as it takes a long time for a family of five to shower, so I asked for a tray and she was borderline rude but reluctantly gave me one - and it was a really small tray so I had to make 2 trips. My daughter went out for a piece of toast at a quarter to 10 and was treated very rudely - they were putting the stuff away and refused to give her any as they said breakfast was over.

Despite the curt staff member, I think I would stay here again. I love a clean hotel and this fit the bill. Beds were comfy and price was right. It is very close to Edmonton and if you're a shopper, the IKEA/South Edmonton common is right there when you're entering the city. Not as convenient (or as quiet) as staying right in the city but definitely an acceptable alternative.

• Liked — Cleanliness and convenience of the kids suite set up
  • Disliked — Some staff members were less than pleasant
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Saint Paul, MN
Reviewed October 18, 2007

Stayed here one night before we flew out of Edmonton. On the surface, the hotel is fine. Everything is clean and the rooms are nice. We stayed in a Kidsuite with our two children. It had a refrigerator, microwave, a bunkbed and a TV for the kids in addition to a King bed for Mom and Dad on the other side of a wall divider.

When we arrived, the halls were freezing cold but the room was fine. We explained that one of us would be getting up very early to fly out in the morning but the rest of the family would need late check out for a later flight. I scheduled a wake up call for 6 a.m.. When we got to the room the T.V. in the kids area didn't work and neither did the phone. We asked them to fix it and they did while we were at dinner. There really isn't much in the way of restaurants in the area. The clerk suggested Rosies which wasn't particularly great. When we got back, I cancelled my wake-up call since I decided I didn't want to risk waking the kids and my husband when I got up early to catch my fllight.

When we got back to our room we noticed the ear plugs in the bathroom about the same time that the first train went through. The tracks were about 75 yards from our window. We were without a doubt in the closest room you could be in to the tracks. At this point, we were unpacked and the kids were getting ready for bed. We hoped that that was the last train for the evening. Unfortunately, we were wrong and the trains came through about every two hours all night blowing their whistles loudly everytime. The room literally shook. The kids were up and exhausted. I was awake and exhausted. Finally, I heard the last train at about 3:30 a.m. and caught a few hours of sleep before getting up at 5:50. At 6:00 a.m., the wake-up call I'd cancelled came and re-woke up everyone in the family AGAIN. When I went out to catch the shuttle, I complained to the front desk clerk about the wake up call I'd cancelled and she looked it up and realized that although they'd crossed it out in their book, they forgot to cancel the computer code. Just a shrug and a sorry. Then I asked what they were thinking putting a family with little kids in right next to the tracks when she admitted there were other kidsuites in the building that were farther away from the tracks. Another shrug. When we checked in, I specifically told the clerk our situation, young kids going home with dad on a later flight so they could sleep in and enjoy the pool, I had to leave early to go to work that afternoon. Still, they failed to fix the wakeup call and put us in a Kidsuite that was sure to keep us up all night. I filled out a survey afterwards that was sent by the manager and never heard anything back. Nice facilities if you are a train buff, but the service is really lacking!

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — trains
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank travelgal02
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nisku
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Edmonton Airport & Conference Centre
Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton International Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Edmonton International Airport
Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton Airport
Nisku Inn and Conference Centre
Quality Inn Airport - Edmonton

Been to Holiday Inn Express Edmonton International Airport? Share your experiences!