“Good hotel in perfect distance to Calgary”

BEST WESTERN Strathmore Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Strathmore
Jasper National Park, Canada
“Good hotel in perfect distance to Calgary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

We found this hotel ideal because of its location on highway #1. It was about 40 minutes to where we needed to go in Calgary and a LOT cheaper than the big city hotels. The hotel itself is good too. Not super fancy but certainly a great value with free breaky and clean comfortable rooms. When travelling with a pet, it is always somewhat difficult to find a decent hotel. The Best Western Strathmore's pet rooms are a refreshing change. Not one of those stinky smoking rooms one would normally get. There is a small fee for the pet, which we totally expected. In the morning we saw housekeepers walking around with what we learned was a UV tool to sanitize rooms. Cool thing!

Room Tip: If you have a pet, some bottom rooms have outside doors. There is a little park not too far away.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

This hotel has been upgraded.

Excellent continental breakfast
Friendly staff
Very Clean rooms
Comfy bed

Room Tip: All rooms ae good but the ones on the second floor is great for those who have difficulty with stair...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Strathmore Inn, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm glad we were able to provide you with great Western Hospitality! Hopefully we will see you again on your next stop over in Strathmore.
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

I found this Best Western somewhat of an average stay. Here are my reasoning:

First the Positives: The afternoon staff proves to be very friendly and attentive. The room was clean, bathroom clean and it got a microwave and refrigerator that worked well. The bed was comfortable and sheets felt fresh and clean. It is also located right next to a RCMP HQ!

Now the Negatives: It has no elevator, it been a long time since I stayed in a multi-floor motel that has no elevator. Maybe I am just getting old! The internet used was bit spotty for some reason and I gave up on it later. I wasn't too happy about that. The morning person at the desk was bit surly as if she woke up too early. And the breakfast was an non-event. It can barely be called "continental"!!

But the price was right if not the experience.

Room Tip: Try for a second floor if you don't want to haul your luggage up a long staircase to third.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SirHoot
Markus N, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Strathmore Inn, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your valuable comments. I'm glad you found your room clean and to your satisfaction and got welcomed with a friendly smile. You are certainly correct about the fact that we do not have an elevator at the, maybe because more than 70% of our rooms can be accessed without climbing stairs. Our breakfast includes a variety of breads, muffins, danishes, bagels, cereal, fruit, eggs, yogourt, waffles and a selection of beverages. We are always looking for new ideas and enhancements and if you have a great suggestion, we would be delighted to hear about it. Very seldom do we have issues with our free guest internet and I can certainly understand this being an issue for you. I'm surprised that the technical support line (I assume you called it?) wasn't able to help. Those fellows are typically able to take care of any complications.
Medicine Hat, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We booked and paid for this hotel online at expedia around 9pm before driving towards Strathmore. We arrived at 1:00am to find that they did not have our registration anywhere. The fellow did not seem to believe me that I had already paid and booked it as he didn't have a fax from the website. I called the 1-800 number from my email and the clerk there was wonderful. She called the hotel (while I was on hold, and she called the fellow standing in front of me lol!) and verified that we had a paid reservation. So, after all that...we got out room which was good. It was a suite listed as a regular room, so always nice to have the separate bedroom if needed, but was unremarkable really. We stayed, had a quick breakfast to go from the continental (don't try the donuts there!) and were on our way.

Room Tip: We had a standard double queen room, but was pleasantly surprised to find it a suite with a separate...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

we had stay on March 15,2012 and It was grt stay with affordable rates! I was surprised with low rate compare to other Best Westerns.We found warm customer service. I will be back in July 2012 for a business trip and I would love to stay at this renovated and beautiful hotel in Strathmore..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Harry H
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

Our little weekend getaway was a donation by Best Western in Strathmore, Alberta, to a local charity. When we arrived with our two sons, we were upgraded to a family suite and were very thrilled. The front desk clerk (Mary, I think her name was) was so welcoming and friendly that it really set a nice tone for our stay. Our room was very clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. What more could you ask! We all had a lot of fun in the pool and hot tub and went to bed tired! For breakfast, the boys had their favorite -- waffles!! It is so convenient to be able to start your day right there at the hotel without having to run out to find somewhere to eat for breakfast -- especially with kids. Thanks so much Best Western! We'll definitely be back! Laurie

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed here as I have stayed at Best Westerns around North America many many times and chose it based entirely on the name. I was disappointed at every turn.

I arrived late at night, the front desk staff was abrupt and unhelpful, she did not inform me that there was no elevator so I had to haul 4 bags and a laptop up the stairs because none of the contents of the bags could stay in my vehicle and freeze overnight. I asked for one of the many town maps that was on the counter and was told that she didn't have enough so I could look at it, but couldn't have one. I got to my room and it looked like someone had been sleeping on the covers of the bed, all of my showers were cool to slightly warm water, the shampoo / soap offerings were very cheap, the water from the tap tasted like bleach and the only bottled water I could get was two floors down in a vending machine. I tried to use the work out room and the treadmill was broken and I was nearly thrown from the surface of it as it rocked back and forth and the tread was stopping and starting on it's own, so moved to the stationary bike which had broken seat and then to the stairclimber which I hate, but wanted to work out a bit.

There was no newspaper, as per usual at most hotels in the world to read and the tv apparently "could not be turned on" as per the front desk staff so that I could at least watch the news with my breakfast.

This is not a wheelchair friendly hotel. The halls are very narrow and the room I stayed in had a weird set up.

The one redeeming quality of this hotel was the manager who after finding the comment card I left in the room, called me to hear my comments directly once I returned to Edmonton from my trip. He was very concerned and tried to rectify my concerns, but sadly, I don't think that it will be a hotel I will stay at now that I have found this new one I am currently at in Strathmore. I just hope that they learn from their mistakes and make it a better experience for other travellers.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Markus N, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Strathmore Inn, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Hello,

I remember calling you after I heard that you had such a disappointing visit. You made your point very clearly and I have apologized for some of the obvious problems you experienced. However, I do feel I have to set some of the facts straight. At arrival you were offered a room with a convenient walkout ( a door directly to the outside), which you had declined. Instead you requested a room on the top floor. More than 50% of our rooms are accessible without climbing stairs. Those rooms are also easily accessible for guests in wheel chairs and the hotel also has some special rooms with extra large bathrooms, wider doors etc.
There is not much the hotel can do about the City of Strathmore policy to chlorinate the water and I'm sure you will experience the same water in any other hotel in town. Like most hotels, the Best Western Strathmore offers convenient vending on alternate floors, which means you would have found a vending machine one floor below. Our choice of guest shampoo is commonly used in Best Westerns throughout North America.
We have used your feedback to implement some important changes like frequent equipment checks in the fitness room and we have replaced some water heaters.
Sadly I'll take note that you changed your mind after speaking to me in January and will not give us another try to find out that we did in fact make all those changes. By now, we have gone through renovations to a large majority of our guest rooms and public areas.Currently we have a much improved product.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathmore
Days Inn & Suites Strathmore
#4 of 5 in Strathmore
Rocking R Guest Ranch
Rocking R Guest Ranch
#1 of 4 in Strathmore

Been to BEST WESTERN Strathmore Inn? Share your experiences!