“Poor Animals”

Greater Vancouver Zoo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Open year round and located only 45 minutes from Vancouver, Step Into The Wild at the largest zoo in BC! Discover the sights and sounds of over 500 animals (140 species) on 120 acres of land in the beautiful Fraser Valley! Experience the Zoo your way by bringing your own wagons, roller blades, bikes, skateboards, and picnic lunches. Ride the miniature train, watch a variety of daily educational talks & feedings and be sure to catch one of the Birds of Prey presentations! The playground and large picnic areas are great for birthdays, company BBQ's, group events or family picnics. In the summer, spend a Night In The Wild as you camp overnight inside the Zoo, and be sure to sign up for one of our popular Junior Zoologist Day Camps! Since 1970, the Greater Vancouver Zoo is focused on enriching our guests experiences with entertaining enriching activities about the wonderful world of animals.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Maple Ridge District Municipality, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor Animals”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Poor reputation, animals have died under odd circumstances, and have been reported serveral times for animal abuse.

1 Thank Robert E
GVZoo, General Manager at Greater Vancouver Zoo, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
We appreciate our guests taking the time to post their honest concerns.

The Greater Vancouver Zoo is CAZA (Canada's Association of Zoo's and Aquariums) accredited. However, unlike many other Zoo’s, the Greater Vancouver Zoo is a privately run facility. We don’t receive any government funding, and rely solely on admission rates to run all aspects of Zoo operations.

CAZA accreditation last for 5 years, and then you have to go through a re-accreditation process. The Greater Vancouver Zoo was re-accredited in 2012. During re-accreditation, the CAZA board inspects all aspects of zoo operations including animal health care, exhibits, husbandry of all our animals, educational programs, safety/security, guest services, conservation, research, staff training programs, finance and physical facilities.
CAZA-accredited zoos and aquariums are dedicated to the highest standards of animal care. They nurture, protect and care for more than 100,000 animals representing over 2000 species. Often these animals are the last remaining representatives of their species and survive with the help of zoo and aquarium endangered animal management programs.

The Greater Vancouver Zoo works on a variety of conservation projects and we do our best to educate guests on preservation, conservation and protection of endangered species. We actively participate in the Oregon Spotted Frog Recover Project and support various field conservation projects around the globe through our Quarters for Conservation program.

New Westminster, Canada
“I really like this zoo!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is an older zoo and people do complain about it. But I love it. I take my children there and my daycare kids there (I run a home daycare) and go usually once or twice a year. I love that it is outdoors and there is a lot of space to run. I love learning new things about animals, watching the hippo feeding is my favorite thing. This last time we ate lunch by the zebra area and they were by the fence the entire time...I have never heard them bray before but they did. If you go, there is a lot of walking so bring good shoes. Also, you can bring bikes for the kids to ride. Its usually a 4-5 hour visit for us.

Visited May 2013
GVZoo, General Manager at Greater Vancouver Zoo, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're glad to hear that you enjoy visiting the Greater Vancouver Zoo so much! Lucky you for hearing the Zebras bray!
We can't wait to have you back again!
Vancouver, Canada
“Peaceful and spacious”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

While the Vancouver Zoo is obviously run on a budget, after spending a few hours there I realize that the majority of the animals have outdoor enclosures that are far more natural looking and spacious than many I have seen in flashier zoos. Because of the size of the pasture enclosures and availability of hiding areas, it can be more difficult to spot particular animals, but I came away feeling that it was a better, less stressful situation for the animals than some other zoo designs I've seen. Also, when the animals do come out, you can often get surprisingly close to them. The animal workers clearly care a great deal about their charges, and the bird show was wonderful. I would recommend coming at edges of days--that's when I saw the most animal activity, but going to one of the free animal talks is probably also a good way to make sure your kids get to see specific animals. While I'm sure improvements could be made over time (a shuttle with dropoff points would be great), I found myself comparing my experience of seeing a caracal lynx at another major zoo, alone in a tiny indoor enclosure with a painting on the wall behind it of the vast lands it would have lived in out in the wild. At the Vancouver zoo the lynx had a companion, open air, and probably twenty times the space.

Visited May 2013
GVZoo, General Manager at Greater Vancouver Zoo, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thanks for reviewing your recent trip to the Greater Vancouver Zoo.
As a privately run Zoo, we rely solely on admission rates to operate (we receive no government funding), thus we often have a small budget to work with. We do our best to keep the Zoo setting as natural as possible, and provide lots of space for the animals to roam around in.
Thanks for noticing our hard work, dedication, and devotion. We hope you'll visit us again soon!
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Always a New Experience”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I've been coming to this zoo for years. Ever since I was one I've enjoyed visiting this zoo's wild atmosphere and seeing all the delightful animals. I think of the greatest parts about the zoo is that the exoerience is always different. The animals are allways doing different things of course because they're living and of course they all all act differently throughout the different seasons and it's interesting to see them cope. This zoo is what inspired me to become a zoologist and hopefully own a zoo of my own one day. Though there is room for improvement It's still a great place to visit with family or friends

Visited April 2013
GVZoo, General Manager at Greater Vancouver Zoo, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thanks for posting the review. We're glad to hear that you have a great time visiting the Greater Vancouver Zoo!
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic visit”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Had a fantastic visit to the Greater Vancouver Zoo today - such a great family outing. We caught the 2pm Radical Raptors show...its a must see for the whole family!
We saw the majority of the animals at the zoo - a couple were hiding, probably because of the heat, but regardless, we had a great day and learned a lot about the animals. I'd recommend it to everyone :)

1 Thank SSarrahh
Thanks for writing a review on your recent visit! We're glad to hear that you had a great time at the Greater Vancouver Zoo.
We hope you'll be back to visit us again soon!