“Ask to be seated away from the door on a cold evening...”

Saffron Indian Cuisine
Ranked #14 of 606 Restaurants in Burnaby
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Maywood
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The first time I have had to eat dinner in a restaurant with my coat on.....every time the door opened cold got air froze us.

We chose not to have the buffet but we each had a Thali (mixed) plate which was a nice choice. The food here has always been pretty good.

The service was a bit slow. I think at dinner they just expect everyone to eat the buffet and so are understaffed. We had to wait a long time for our bill which might have been okay if we weren't freezing.

There are newer reviews for Saffron Indian Cuisine

Reviewed March 4, 2014

The only problem with this restaurant is that I "know" I will over eat as the food is delicious!! The selection and quality is excellent.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

As a frequent customer to their buffet, I have noticed that the quality is slipping. I ate here last Monday at around 6PM and just wanted to add a few things I noticed.

The food served at their buffet is MILD.

-Tandoori bone-in chicken was cold and did not taste fresh (leftovers from lunch?)
-Butter chicken tasted more like a stripped down version of the one they serve a la carte. It still tastes good, but it is not as good as the one you can order off their menu, so they are doing something to it to make it more cost effective.
-Their biyrani rice is not nearly as good as I remembered it being when I was here last time. It had previously frozen peas/carrots - there were no tomato, onions, green/red peppers, or nice spices in it, like the one you can order off of their menu (which is terrific and includes the vegetables I have mentioned)
-The food just looked like it was leftovers from lunch. Some of the vegetables in the curries were extremely dried out and did not taste very good.
-The Goa Prawn curry was the only good dish I tried from their buffet. Note, that they serve a rotating seafood dish at their dinner buffet only. This is something that distinguishes it from their lunch buffet.
-The quality of their buffet has slipped slightly. I know because I've eaten here on many occasions over the past few years.
-Even the naan bread you get with their buffet is not as nice as what you order when you receive it from their a la carte menu. This time, it wasn't as soft as it has been in the past, but instead it was extremely thin, mostly crunchy, and had little flavour. Every time I come here, I am always left waiting before I receive any naan bread. Why not have some already made in advance? It's like they wait for you to be seated and finish with your first plate before they make some for you. I'm not sure if this is a cost cutting measure, but I notice this happens every time I eat here for their buffet. I always have to wait too long to receive naan bread. If you read other reviews, many other people will point out the same thing.

In the past, I have always been fond of their buffet and especially their a la carte menu. Buffets in general can be tricky and it is hard to please everyone and I am certainly willing to give second chances, but they will need to improve things on my next visit or I won't come back here again - at least not for their buffet. I have hope that the quality of their a la carte menu will remain high.

2  Thank timbuk2
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We've been eating at Saffron since it opened several years ago. Having travelled all over India we were delighted to find the food here (near where we live) is as good as that found in our travels and that served at our Punjabi friend's home. We don't usually use the Buffet; the individual dishes are prepared perfectly for you and by choosing your own dishes you get a more authentic meal experience. I must confess, the 'all you can eat' concept doesn't compete with smaller portions of perfect food for us. Make sure you try their freshly prepared vegetable pekoras with tamarind sauce ... but try to restrain yourself so you have enough room left to enjoy your meal. As for recommendations for main dishes - impossible. We've eaten them all and never have had a poor meal yet.

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

We dine at saffron often... Usually take out. The food is always delicious. We always order the butter chicken and mix it up with a new dish. Never disappointed. Twice they have forgotten our rice with our take out and living in whiterock... It's a bit of a pain. Otherwise fantastic restaurant!