“Pad Thai is not Spaghetti”

Thai House Restaurant Royale Metrotown
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Maywood
Burnaby BC
“Pad Thai is not Spaghetti”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I used to love going to the Thai House Metrotown location. The food was delicious and the wait staff very friendly. I went again last Saturday evening with my fiancee and two of her family members from Victoria BC. I told my visitors how wonderful the food is at this restaurant.

I ordered the Royal Thai coconut and lichi drink with rum. My fiance ordered the virgin version of this drink. I rembered how wonderfully creamy and delicious this drink was the last time I ordered it. This time though it was extremely watered down.

My two visitors were in the mood for Pad Thai. When their dishes arrived it looked and tasted just like spaghetti with a cheap canned tomato sauce. This is Pad Thai? When i complained to the waitress she explained that this is the "New Tradition" pad thai. I wasn't aware that Thai people were adopting their cuisine to look and taste like cheap Italian food.

I ordered a chicken dish with Basil and onions and green and red peppers. The dish was obnoxiously salty. I asked for a replacement and it wasn't much better. Ninety percent of the dish was boiled green peppers. The rest was some bland chicken with onions, red peppers and basil. The basil was so over cooked I couldn't taste it. When the meal was finished and I asked the waitress for the bill I told her that this was the worst meal I've ever had here. She didn't seem to care. I wasn't offered any gesture of goodwill.

This place has seriously gone down hill. What a shame. I used to love this place but I will never return again. I had to apologize to my vistors from Victoria.

• Visited August 2011

richmond
“hmmmm delicious!”
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Love love the food and restaurant! They use large prawns for their dishes which you don't see often in other restaurants. We do all our family celebrations there. Always make excuses just to go there for dinner for any occassions. My favriote is yellow curry crab with seafood. Its finger licking good! Always ask the server to pack the left over sauce for my lunch tomorrow with rice. Bbq pork cheeks, calamaries, stuffed chicken wings, seafood lettuce wrap, beef and squid salad is always a must in our orders. Try it and enjoy!

“Great restaurant to try differnt Thai dishes with combination menus”
Reviewed September 16, 2009

September 15, 2009
We celebrated our Dad's birthday and found the food and service excellent for a Tuesday night. We had a group of about 12 people and ordered the combination for six (times 2 orders) with some changes. The servers brought out the food hot and fresh in a timely manner and they were pleasant and accommodating. It's was a great way for the group to try combinations of different Thai dishes! Thanks Thai House for making our dads birthday celebration a memorable experience.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Depends on what you order. Because we avoided spicy dishes, our food was average household fare. Service was lukewarm.”
Reviewed October 9, 2008