“Loved the green papaya salad but...”
Review of Green Basil

Green Basil
Ranked #78 of 601 Restaurants in Burnaby
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Marlborough
Kelowna, Canada
“Loved the green papaya salad but...”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were here for lunch. The food was hit and miss. The yellow curry was delicious. The rice dish served in the hollowed out pineapple was mushy and odd. We had green papaya salad which was fresh and tasty. The satay was lovely and the accompanying peanut sauce was perfect. The vegetarian spring rolls were ok-we have had better. The service was abrupt bordering on rude. Our server continually asked if we needed anything else-not because she cared but because she seemed to want us to leave. I am unsure as to whether I would return to this restaurant.

• Visited May 2013

Burnaby, Canada
“horrible service”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Horrible horrible service. I went there once before and it was bad and I thought id give it another try yesterday but it's still so bad! the food is really good.. service terrible. it was an older Asian lady (always have her hair up and never have a smile).. even my brother warned me not to go there because the service is horrible. I accidently ordered the wrong thing and I wanted something else.. majority of people would take it back and make the new one for the customer (I order over 5 items) but nope,, she strongly said "you ordered this one" so make it seems like I must take responsibility for my actions.. ok.. I let that go.. then.. I told her at the beginning there was an order that was for take out.. when its almost done she told me that Ii was coming (to the table).. and I mentioned I told her it was for take out (she made a mistake).. she makes a grumpy face and said 'u know what you ordered?' as if I didn't say that at the beginning and she makes it seem like im stupid and it was such a hassle for her now to make it a take out order.. THEN when the bill comes.. she counted the money in front of us as if she thinks that we underpay.. wtF?? I never ever seen any waitress count money in front of the customer at the table like that AND she had a grumpy unsatisfied tip face.. wow.. I felt like all she cares was money money money and no service at all.. never ever go there again.. I love eating thai food.. but this one is out of my list for good and so is all the people I know..there are better thai food, better price and better service else there..

Burnaby, Canada
“"In Your Face" Rushing”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I've eaten here twice.

With regards to food, it's ok but I've had better.

With regards to price, it's actually expensive in relation to what they offer (ok food in normal portions, 12-14 bucks)

With regards to service, I'd say very poor. Poor enough that I have decided not to come back here again. It's a Sunday and we came in at 9:30 pm, they close at 10:00. It's not busy anymore, there's just one other table when we came in. A group of 6 people actually came in right after us. Knowing how close we are to closing time, we tried to order quickly and our food was served quickly as well, probably 9:45 pm.

Now don't tell me that we only have 15 minutes to eat, this is still a restaurant, not a fast food chain. I think that it is reasonable and customary to close your doors and wait for your remaining patrons to finish their meal. (but of course, you don't let anyone in anymore past your closing time)

So we ate, half way through our meal, the man gave us our bill and put it on the table without us asking for it. (I'm annoyed)

Five minutes later, the man came back again and asked us if we are paying by cash or credit card, (I'm annoyed #2)
I said credit card and he placed the credit card machine on the table next to us. (I'm annoyed #3)

My god, we are not finished eating. Why can't you wait for us to finish our meal and we will pay when we are ready. I finally paid and by the time we left it was 10:15. So basically we only ate for 30 minutes.

Eating for 30 minutes is reasonable. We are not those kind of people who are taking extremely long to finish our meal. We do understand that it is closing time.

So yeah, we stayed an extra 15 minutes past the closing time but I think, waiting for 30 minutes past the closing time is reasonable if you had customers who came in close to closing time.

I think the man is very rude for this behaviour and also he looks like he doesn't give a damn that he is offending his customers.

If they are really so concerned about closing at exactly 10:00 pm, then they should lock the doors at 9:15 so no one could come in anymore.

I will not come back to this restaurant again.

British Columbia
“Almost cheap and really cheerful...”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Very busy and bustling and that makes sense... We ate off the Combo for Six menu because it was too tricky to get the 5 of us agreeing about it all http://www.greenbasilthai.com/downloads/dinner_menu_Final2.pdf ...Tons of food and very tasty, too!

Tampa, Florida
“Decent Thai and average service”
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking to get a Thai fix they have a good range of curries and noodle dishes here. The green curry was better than average actually. I do find it curious they charge additional for rice though with a curry dish, I don't think I've ever seen it served without. Phad Thai was passable, although it seemed a little too oily. Service was ok, but looking at the reaction and manner of other tables, I don't think it's the place for that memorable anniversary or birthday dinner. Just across the street from MetroTown mall, so it is an easy place to meet up after shopping to get away from the crowds.