“Gem on Hastings Street”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Willingdon Heights
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Happily this restaurant's food, atmosphere and service had stood up well over many years. It's great still. Lunch today was unhurried and thoroughly pleasant. Regulars get treated extremely well; so do newcomers. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank Paul B

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I simply love L'artista! The service is fantastic, the atmosphere is like eating in someone's home and the food is simply superb!

1  Thank bgtours2007
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Well I am a food snob, I admit it. Most people who eat for the sake of eating will probably find this place fine. the company I dined with was great fun,the wines and drinks good too. The service was nice too. Reading reviews of this place and their service I had my doubts but we had great service that night. My meal was exactly what one would expect from an old fashioned smalll unhip Italian place in the middle of nowhere just off of a large highway type road: too much and too stodgey. I tend to always clean my plate but here, I left most of my pasta and the waitress took it away. It came back in a styrofoam container that I didn't ask for as frankly, I didn't really want to see any more of it.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

Our family visited L'artista last weekend for dinner. It was my first time, although my wife had been there just a couple weeks ago. I felt it was kind of average, but she said it was quite a bit better on the last occasion, so I gave it a very good. The spinach salad was quite large, but bland lacking bacon for some zip. The fish soup was very tasty, however, the clams were so dirty, some of sand had even transferred to the broth. The clam pasta, which was thoroughly enjoyed during the last visit, was plastered with tomato sauce this time around, disguising the flavours. It is a small room, nice environment, and the service was excellent. If we went back I might stick to ordering a simple pasta and meat sauce or similar.

1  Thank ashle4
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I have been eating here for at least 20 years. This February my wife,my daughter and her partner and close friends celebrated my 75th birthday here. We always enjoy their veal meals. They are very flexible in allowing options with the meal (vegetables or pasta and the sauces). My favourite is their pasta with seafood. Plenty of seafood. I also would recommend the tomato and onion salad as a starter.
Although over the years the prices have risen, they are still reasonable and competitive.
To sum up, for tasty Italian food at a price that is good value for the dollar this the place to go.

1  Thank nsoldgoat