“Christmas Dinner”

Hart House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Hart House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 621 Restaurants in Burnaby
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Canada Way
Transit: 144 Metrotown or SFU on Deer Lake Avenue (25m) 123 Brentwood on Canada Way (100 m) Bonny's Taxi services the Burnaby area: Burnaby : 435 - 6655 or 434 - 8000 Capitol Hill : 299 - 6262 New Westminster : 526 - 1166 Coquitlam : 931 - 3333
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Our small group of 4 (elderly mom , 1st Christmas in Assisted Living, 20 something son whose kitchen is inadequate for a Xmas meal, and the parents from Kelowna in the middle) needed a nice restaurant for Xmas Dinner. After searching for 2 weeks the Hart House seemed like the best option. It was very nice, reservations made 1 month prior ensured we were able to book the time we wanted. The receptionist was very kind, telephoning me personally when the menu was available. The house is lovely and was decorated beautifully for Xmas. The Xmas menu (3 courses) was $65 pp which seemed fair, but the bill does quickly add up when tax and tip and any extras are added on. There were a couple of menu items that had a surcharge and coffee and tea were quite expensive. I think 1 tea was $4.75. I thought tea and coffee should have been included. Of course if you add in any alcohol be prepared to shell out. But the food was very well prepared and presented and the choices were good, service was excellent. I'm not sure we will repeat, I hope we might have a few more options next Christmas, but for this year, it was a nice experience.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Used an $80 Groupon coupon for 50% off six-course Pacific Northwest Dinner for two and it was definitely worth it. Dine on very comfortable chairs in one of the 4 rooms in this charming mansion. The sun room and large bay window room have views of ancient, gnarled trees and the sweeping lawn s leading to the lake, and sometimes wedding parties in a huge tent. The fireside room has, you guessed it, a fireplace.

The waiter (Kevin) was obviously a professional and was well supported by several servers. The sommelier came frequently, at our request, to explain the pairings (supplied at a very reasonable $28) he had chosen for the sampling menu. Starting with an amuse bouche to the Earl Grey vanilla bean panna cotta, our palates were delighted. I especially enjoyed the smoked pecan sable fish and the crispy green bean dish. Dining here shows you how much better excellent food can be over a typical restaurant. The small servings were just enough for tasting, but not stuffing and, although I did feel quite full by the end, I forced myself to try the Tahitian vanilla crème brulee (with humorous encouragement from the waiter). It was divine (whereas so often I find crème brulees to be disappointing). I think I might return just for that.

Definitely a place to try if you want top class food and service, and can afford to pay for it.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

My local team takes me to a different Vancouver/Burnaby restaurant each visit I make to BC. This was absolutely the best. The setting is a 1910 Gothic Revival Mansion near Burnaby City Hall. The food was inventive, beautifully presented, and most importantly, each dish was a fantastic pairing of traditional fare with a twist. I had a torchiere of Foie Gras (banned in my native San Francisco) that was perfectly done, with a dark cherry glaze. My entree was traditional scallops, but paired with pork belly, braised to perfect tenderness. The service was attentive and discrete. Everything was perfect.

Add this to you bucket list for Vancouver. A short drive from downtown to Burnaby, but worth every minute.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We went here last week for the six course tasting menu as a special night out and had a fabulous feast. Our waiter was excellent - always giving us a very detailed description of what the dish included and always checking with us as to how we were doing.
I enjoyed everything but a piece of smoked sablefish but was able to trade this for a tiger prawn with my sweetie so we were both very happy.
Although each course by itself is quite small, we were both feeling stuffed by the end of the night. Drink prices are quite reasonable too!
We would definitely go back again!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This restaurant in Burnaby, BC has excellent service and the food is top class. The meals are not huge but more in line with french servings and beautifully decorated. For me the portions are just right.

It is very scenic since there is a beautiful view of Deer Lake when you sit to dine.

I have revisited this restaurant a few times and am always happy to take my guests there.