“I chose the wrong dish to eat - Omelet”

Broken Rice Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 598 Restaurants in Burnaby
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
“I chose the wrong dish to eat - Omelet”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Everyone else was fine with their meal choice and the prices were very fair. The problem, I believe is that I probably chose the wrong thing to eat. The omelet dish looked very impressive. The omelet was humungous and there was a generous amount of greens and plenty of basil. What I think is that the omelet itself needs some improvement. It was filled mostly of bean sprouts. The menu said there was pork and prawns, which there was but very very little. Also the omelet itself was very bland. Even a bit of salt would have elevated its taste. I will not eat an omelet again if I revisit this place.

• Visited December 2013

“Creative Vietnamese”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have been to many Vietnamese restaurants in Vancouver and many in Vietnam but I have never experienced food as creative as this restaurant. This place is owned by two charming Vietnamese women that are trying to offer something different, and boy have they really succeeded. They describe their approach as somewhat mimicking Vietnamese street food, but with a French twist reflecting their heritage.

I have been for both lunch and dinner and the quality is good, the service is good and the prices are the same as other Vietnamese restaurants in town. But what is different is originality of many of the dishes. If you really want to try something different go for dinner. The atmosphere is cozy, food selection is great and the wine prices are low by most restaurant standards.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank BillHenry7
Vancouver, Canada
“A Delightful Find”
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

We have just enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Broken Rice this evening. Having read a recent review in our newspaper, we were intrigued and decided to give it a try and what a delightful experience it was! It is an attractive, clean, appealing restaurant in a neighbour setting in Burnaby. Actually I have passed it many times without even noticing it. I ordered the Tamarind Duck which was perfectly cooked, beautifully presented & it was absolutely exquisite tasting. My husband ordered a curry chicken dish & was very pleased with his choice. The service was excellent and we found it a very friendly atmosphere with extremely reasonable prices. We can't wait to return & sample more dishes. We were so pleased with our new find!

Visited November 2013
2 Thank JRogers70
Burnaby, Canada
“Authentic Vietnamese”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

What an amazing meal! Have passed this inconspicuous little restaurant many times, I have been curious, so tonight we tried it out and were glad we did. The food was so fresh and flavourful, and the prices are very reasonable, I stuffed myself with two dishes for under $20. During our meal, the owner came by our table to speak with us, and explained that they flew many of the ingredients, including the fresh herbs, in from Vietnam every week. Well worth it to get the authentic taste!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank InVinoVeritas68
Vancouver, Canada
“Welcome addition to The Heights”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have been to this recently opened restaurant on Hastings Street and have had great meals each time. Service - good. Food - very good. Ambiance - just right. Price - a real bargain for the product delivered. Wine selection and service might need a touch up but that's just a minor thing as beer is usually the right match for teh fare. All in all, this restaurant is a step-up from the usual quality of establishments in the neighbourhood (Pear Tree excepted, of course) and will hopefully set the tone for this street to move a bit up market. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

• Visited June 2013