“A Delightful Find”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We have just enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Broken Rice this evening. Having read a recent review in our newspaper, we were intrigued and decided to give it a try and what a delightful experience it was! It is an attractive, clean, appealing restaurant in a neighbour setting in Burnaby. Actually I have passed it many times without even noticing it. I ordered the Tamarind Duck which was perfectly cooked, beautifully presented & it was absolutely exquisite tasting. My husband ordered a curry chicken dish & was very pleased with his choice. The service was excellent and we found it a very friendly atmosphere with extremely reasonable prices. We can't wait to return & sample more dishes. We were so pleased with our new find!

2  Thank JRogers70

Reviewed October 22, 2013

What an amazing meal! Have passed this inconspicuous little restaurant many times, I have been curious, so tonight we tried it out and were glad we did. The food was so fresh and flavourful, and the prices are very reasonable, I stuffed myself with two dishes for under $20. During our meal, the owner came by our table to speak with us, and explained that they flew many of the ingredients, including the fresh herbs, in from Vietnam every week. Well worth it to get the authentic taste!

2  Thank InVinoVeritas68
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have been to this recently opened restaurant on Hastings Street and have had great meals each time. Service - good. Food - very good. Ambiance - just right. Price - a real bargain for the product delivered. Wine selection and service might need a touch up but that's just a minor thing as beer is usually the right match for teh fare. All in all, this restaurant is a step-up from the usual quality of establishments in the neighbourhood (Pear Tree excepted, of course) and will hopefully set the tone for this street to move a bit up market. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is a neighbourhood restaurant in the Heights area of Burnaby. Nicely stone-faced exterior, pleasant clean interior and a lovely range of Vietnamese food. The chicken hot pot was fabulous and I loved the "crepe" served with fresh herbs. My husband gave top marks to his half a Cornish Game hen (but felt the meal was on the small side) and a beef on rice dish. Our grand daughter tried the hen too and although she's a really picky eater, everything disappeared and she said she loved it. I'd give this place a 5 except for a few things they need to do. Our family's suggestions -
They could have some cushions available - very hard chairs
They need to do more education of their servers - one of our family members has an allergy and eats carefully to avoid problems. Our first server did get another person to help when she couldn't answer our questions. The second visit server had very little idea, sought no help and seemed to be making it up as he went. He finally said he didn't know much because he hadn't been working there very long. These were native speakers of English; this was not a translation problem.
Have servers check back at the table now and then. We had trouble getting their attention once the meal arrived. It was even tough to get the check at the end.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Not your neighbourhood pho restaurant. Excellent service, decor was nice. Restaurant is clean and looks quite new.
We shared the Green Papaya Salad. There was a leafy herb that I didn't know and quite frankly not the biggest fan of. It was quite strong and we picked most of it out of the salad. That's not to say it didn't contribute to the taste & aroma. In fact with the actual herb removed, it provided a bit of subtle flavor and aromatics that made it refreshing. The beer and curry mussels were very good and the toasted "garlic?" bread was a nice touch to sop up the flavorful broth. I say "garlic?" because it was some herbed bread that definitely had garlic but some other herbs & spices as well as to distance it from your standard Italian type garlic bread. We also share the Reconstructed Pho which was very delicious. Loved the beef carpaccio on top but make sure you mix it well with the noodles as it is salty and meant to be eaten mixed together. That dish was the best of the 3 and the priciest at $15. Portions were generous and in fact we could have stuck to 2 dishes and the amount of food would have been sufficient. But because the menu is not like most Vietnamese restaurants, we wanted to have a variety to try. Our bill came to just over $40 including beverages. Would like to have tried the Duck Confit Sliders, but I guess that is for the next visit.

1  Thank HungryYoungster M