“AWESOME & EXOTIC flavorful foods.”

Safari Snack House & Grill
Ranked #17 of 593 Restaurants in Burnaby
Cuisines: Indian, African
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
North Vancouver, Canada
“AWESOME & EXOTIC flavorful foods.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I chose this restaurant for my birthday as it is one of the higher rated
African restaurants on this site.

Decor: The colours and African prints are nice touches without being overdone.

Service: Some of the best I've had. Not only explained the dishes, but
explained menu dishes. Owner is Friendly and always available for some nice
interaction with her as well. (very cheerful)

Food: We happened to go on Thursday afternoon they have a specials of the day. The server highly recommended we try Chicken Tika which accompanied rice and potato....WOW..Delicious!

Overall: If you like Indian food you should enjoy this place as a twist (from
the East African influences). If you DON'T like Indian because it's too spicy,
most of the dishes here are mild-medium spice. (avoid coconut chutney and
carrot pickle - both spicy) and it may work for you depending on your tolerance for spice. This just made my top daytime Restaurant list as it closes at 6:30pm. I can't wait to go back.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank Irv j

Vancouver, Canada
“A MUST TRY FOR INDIAN FOOD....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

If you haven't been to Safari, you must try it. It is an Indian-African menu. EVERYTHING is GREAT on the menu. We have been long time customers and have tried many new dishes and have always been delighted and satisfied. Personal favourites: Grilled combo platter of chicken/beef and ribs, Kababs and the Samosa’s are to die for....and that's trying to pick a few only! It is
always busy and bustling, but service is always great. It is especially lovely
when the owner comes around to greet and meet. She is so personable, lovely,
and welcoming. She seems to remember repeat customers. A lovely touch to make you feel at home. Try the Masala Chai......AMAZING!

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Kristina W
Port Coquitlam, Canada
““Excellent!" A MUST!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I love this place, the service, the welcome and food is awesome! The owner me feel special and welcomed like an old family friend....We pre-ordered by telling the restaurant our requests and had our office lunch meeting of 10 people. We all felt so welcomed and my group was so impressed with the service, detail to attention and ofcourse the consistancy of the food is always the same. We have catered our next meeting for 60 people through them as the group LOVED the food and are looking forward to it. Exposing more people to this little restaurant!

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank dayle v
Vancouver, Canada
“Been going for years”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We have been regulars at the Safari Snack House for years, long before the current owner. Food quality has stayed high throughout that time, and the ambience is actually better now. I fee that it is cleaner too.
The place is casual, not the sort of place one would bring someone for a romantic date.
The food is East African style Indian. I lived in Kenya for awhile, and this sort of food (Bhajia, samosa, chana bateta, fried kabobs) is very popular amongst Indians and many Africans too. The specials at the restaurant are usually good--large and very tasty, with a homemade feel to them. We sometimes bring them home as takeaway.
I recommend the chana bateta and American Bhajia. My wife loves the fried cassava.
This place does a huge business in catering.
We will probably continue to patronize this restaurant. I find that it is best to go with a few people, because much of the food is sharable--and it's nice to have variety. (I wish they had a variety plate for one person--I might even go more often.
Two points: Parking can be a challenge, and service is usually best when the owner is in the restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank CanadianFamily444
Richmond, Canada
“WHAT A TREAT.......THANK YOU!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Thank you Jamie, Your review was right on the money. We tried the samosa and they recomended
Kabab's and Mogo. Was that ever a treat for us. Our mouth was salivating with great food aroma.

For those of you hesistant to try it.....You will LOVE IT!....Very reasonable prices.

• Visited December 2012